Amp in the room sound

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amp in the room sound

Postby thetupeloflash » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:20 pm

GEAR:
Gretsch
Telecaster
Stratocaster
Apollo Twin
IMac
AmpliTube 5 Max
Axe i/o

Hi,

Looking to connect my axe to a decent FRFR Speaker to get that amp in the room sound at home.

Any ideas on what FRFR to use ?

Thinking Line 6 1/12 Power-cab ?

I play country / rockabilly so mainly using clean amps.

Any advice appreciated
thetupeloflash

Re: Amp in the room sound

Postby bertsmith30 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:52 pm

I bought a Mission Engineering Gemini 2 and there is no better FRFR real cabinet sound on the market. It's expensive though, I had to sell one of my Tube amps to pay for it.
bertsmith30

Postby thomas.brunkard » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:06 am

It depends on the size of your room! At home, I prefer studio monitors.

AmpliTube comes out in stereo. If you use a single wedge monitor, FRFR etc. both sides of signal get summed which causes the top end to get muddy as they phase each other out.

If you get a pair of IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors they are very big sounding particularly for their diminutive footprint.

On stage, I use a mono set up for monitoring and this meant that I had to treat the sound to get it to work better in mono. Lately however, I've got a pair of Headrush speakers. They're not flat enough for my liking so right now I still have to apply some EQ before the signal hits them but I'm getting closer at each rehearsal. This is something you'll need to do with any such speaker whether you've two or one.

Gettting an amp in the room sound is a bit of an EQ trick too.

Try this:

Use one type of microphone per cab, not two as this could create phasing issues.
Try use the cab room ambience
If you don't have the EQ-81 rack EQ in your version of AmpliTube - GET IT! Set the Low Mid dial to boost around 350k and it will help make the speakers sound more amp in the room.

Hope that helps! I built a live rig out of AmpliTube and I talk about how I got around these issues in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZBkt5s51U
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Postby thetupeloflash » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:21 am

bertsmith30 wrote:I bought a Mission Engineering Gemini 2 and there is no better FRFR real cabinet sound on the market. It's expensive though, I had to sell one of my Tube amps to pay for it.

Thanks for the reply , are you happy with your sound from this unit ?

Regards
thetupeloflash

Postby thetupeloflash » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:51 am

thomas.brunkard wrote:It depends on the size of your room! At home, I prefer studio monitors.

AmpliTube comes out in stereo. If you use a single wedge monitor, FRFR etc. both sides of signal get summed which causes the top end to get muddy as they phase each other out.

If you get a pair of IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors they are very big sounding particularly for their diminutive footprint.

On stage, I use a mono set up for monitoring and this meant that I had to treat the sound to get it to work better in mono. Lately however, I've got a pair of Headrush speakers. They're not flat enough for my liking so right now I still have to apply some EQ before the signal hits them but I'm getting closer at each rehearsal. This is something you'll need to do with any such speaker whether you've two or one.

Gettting an amp in the room sound is a bit of an EQ trick too.

Try this:

Use one type of microphone per cab, not two as this could create phasing issues.
Try use the cab room ambience
If you don't have the EQ-81 rack EQ in your version of AmpliTube - GET IT! Set the Low Mid dial to boost around 350k and it will help make the speakers sound more amp in the room.

Hope that helps! I built a live rig out of AmpliTube and I talk about how I got around these issues in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZBkt5s51U

Thank you for this reply.

I mainly use monitors in my studio
but looking for that ' amp sound ' when just relaxing / playing in the front room

Thinking of the line 6 Powercab ?

Also hoping to use this with Tonex when just noodling...

your thoughts ?
thetupeloflash

Postby thomas.brunkard » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:57 am

At home I just have a pair of iLoud Micro Monitors. They're fantastic. I have an Axe I/O for home use with a pair on top that I just plug a laptop or iPad into on occasion.

Using the amp won't work and buying a pair of floor monitors might be overkill in this case.
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Postby thomas.brunkard » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:59 am

...I meant to add, the amp in the room thing is very much an EQ trick too. You'd be working on the lower mids to make them more strident in a way that you wouldn't want to in a recording session.
thomas.brunkard

Postby bertsmith30 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:32 pm

thetupeloflash wrote:
bertsmith30 wrote:I bought a Mission Engineering Gemini 2 and there is no better FRFR real cabinet sound on the market. It's expensive though, I had to sell one of my Tube amps to pay for it.

Thanks for the reply , are you happy with your sound from this unit ?

Regards

I like it better than my tube amps. It is a stereo cabinet with an 80 degree spread and an empower knob that tweaks the output eq to better emulate a real cabinet. In a small room you can get weird phase effects at 10 degrees off axis but just don’t stand there or move the cabinet to a better position in the room. I prefer it to studio monitors because studio monitors are completely inadequate for use when playing with friends.
bertsmith30

Postby thetupeloflash » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:57 pm

Appreciate the response
thetupeloflash

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling