Seeking Rig Setup Advice

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Seeking Rig Setup Advice

Postby jsalter123 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:32 pm

Components:
Guitar
Mac Laptop
Amplitube 5
Axe I/O
EVH 5150iii 15W head
Marshall 2x12 vertical cabinet

Goal:
I would like to use Amplitube's effects modeling, and play out through my external amp and cabinet. What is the best way to wire this rig and what do I need to do in Amplitube to get the right sound? Also what optimizations should I do on the amp head (gain wise for example)?

Problem:
I've tried doing this but the sound is muddled, very compressed sounding compared to when I listen with headphones out of the Axe. I ran the guitar into the Axe instrument line in. I connect the Axe to the amp head via the front facing amp out. I first suspected that I need to disable the amplification simulation in Amplitube. Doing this however seemed to be make the signal to the amp head very quiet. I have run the back line out into the amp, but still same result.
jsalter123

Re: Seeking Rig Setup Advice

Postby thetupeloflash » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:30 pm

Looking to do the same, but would like the ‘ am p in the room’ sound with an FRFR Speaker
thetupeloflash

Postby jsalter123 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:26 pm

I opened a ticket to tech support and got the following:

The AXE I/O line outputs signal level is not suited for the level of you amp, and that can be the problem.

You will need an amp box (like our new TONEX Capture) to convert the line level from the AXE I/O into instrument level for your amp.

Unsure if this is the only solution. Hoping to hear from others.
jsalter123

Postby thomas.brunkard » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:42 am

jsalter123 wrote:I opened a ticket to tech support and got the following:

The AXE I/O line outputs signal level is not suited for the level of you amp, and that can be the problem.

You will need an amp box (like our new TONEX Capture) to convert the line level from the AXE I/O into instrument level for your amp.

Unsure if this is the only solution. Hoping to hear from others.

It's kind of an recurring question in amp modelling. It's probably not a good idea as what you're doing is essentially simulating the sound of an amp being mic'ed up and then putting that into another amp being mic'ed up.

You could potentially use AmpliTube to act as a preamp into the EVH but that would offer little benefit for the effort.

I did a video on how I gig with AmpliTube and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZBkt5s51U

Basically, AmpliTube is the sound of a rig being recorded so for it to be represented faithfully, it needs to come out of a rig that won't colour it. If you Google FRFR and Digital Modelling you'll see two decades of discussion of the issue.

I recently got a pair of Headrush FRFR 108s and using them with the rig in the video is quite a joy. You won't get out of a traditional guitar amp and cab as it's mono and it's designed to do something else.
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling