Do I need TONEX Capture box

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Do I need TONEX Capture box

Postby hunimx » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:42 am

I am looking forward to the release of the TONEx system.

I own a 1978 HIWATT SA112 Combo amplifier. I would like to record and archive the sound of my amplifier into the TONEx system.

I own an AXE I/O and THD HOT Plate power attenuator. If I use the reamping function of my AXE I/O and the line output of my THD HOT Plate, would I still need to have the TONEx Capture?

What specifically is the main functions of TONEx CAPTURE box? Input/Output level and impedance adjustment?

Have I nice day.

Hun
hunimx

Re: Do I need TONEX Capture box

Postby vac713 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:56 am

All you need is an audio interface and a reamp box. The AXE I/O has both so you're good to go
vac713

Postby hunimx » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:28 pm

Thank you so much for the prompt reply.

Ciao,

Hun
hunimx

Postby squeezenor » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:42 pm

Now that's settled, so we may as well use this for all our tonex questions. :D

I have an interface and a load box. A tone x capture would be all I need to get started profiling my heads and combos, right?

The only difference between tonex software versions is the amount of amps and pedals and presets included? They are all functionally identical? Do we pick the premium tone models or does each tier have specific ones included?

For us amplitube 5 Max owners, what's the best upgrade path here to maximize discounts, coupons, and use of the jam points we already have? Looks like I can apply the jam points to the hardware purchase and then (separate purchase) buy the max software for an extra $50 off ($200), but can these savings be further stacked? Could tonex Max be cheaper since I'd technically be a tonex se owner by that point?

I noticed there are lots of amps in the tonex list that aren't in amplitube. Does that mean/imply we might see them available in amplitube down the line?

Thanks!
squeezenor

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:26 pm

squeezenor wrote:Now that's settled, so we may as well use this for all our tonex questions. :D

I have an interface and a load box. A tone x capture would be all I need to get started profiling my heads and combos, right?

Yes, you would use TONEX Capture with your audio interface

The only difference between tonex software versions is the amount of amps and pedals and presets included? They are all functionally identical? Do we pick the premium tone models or does each tier have specific ones included?

Yes, except also the free CS version cannot capture Tone Models. You don't pick Tone Models a la carte, you can see which models are in each version on the AmpliTube TONEX web page.

For us amplitube 5 Max owners, what's the best upgrade path here to maximize discounts, coupons, and use of the jam points we already have? Looks like I can apply the jam points to the hardware purchase and then (separate purchase) buy the max software for an extra $50 off ($200), but can these savings be further stacked? Could tonex Max be cheaper since I'd technically be a tonex se owner by that point?

You get a $50 coupon for TONEX MAX. If you have enough JamPoints for a better deal you would want to apply those instead (or to the other versions that do not have the $50 coupon). You may want to reach out to support to see if there's any word on an upgrade from TONEX SE included with TONEX Capture as there is none listed on the site at this time.

I noticed there are lots of amps in the tonex list that aren't in amplitube. Does that mean/imply we might see them available in amplitube down the line?

Thanks!

Not sure, but we will still be creating AmpliTube collections and such so you never know!

And you're welcome! Hope these answers helped
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby squeezenor » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:31 pm

This is a big help, thanks. I guess I should do it the other way around so I can use the coupon and save the jam points for the capture box purchase.

And wow, that's an insane list of sounds. Wish we could sort the 40 odd pages to find things easily, but I get the idea. Looks like most of the new, not currently in amplitube stuff is in the max version, as one would expect.

My big question now, and forgive me if this has been covered somewhere before, but I've never used a Kemper or any other profiling product before. And I'm really excited to profile my amps because none are in amplitube, but aside from that, how does this work? What's the difference between a profile and an amp model in amplitube? How is this better aside from adding our own stuff and accessing stuff not currently available otherwise?
squeezenor

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:05 pm

squeezenor wrote:This is a big help, thanks. I guess I should do it the other way around so I can use the coupon and save the jam points for the capture box purchase.

And wow, that's an insane list of sounds. Wish we could sort the 40 odd pages to find things easily, but I get the idea. Looks like most of the new, not currently in amplitube stuff is in the max version, as one would expect.

My big question now, and forgive me if this has been covered somewhere before, but I've never used a Kemper or any other profiling product before. And I'm really excited to profile my amps because none are in amplitube, but aside from that, how does this work? What's the difference between a profile and an amp model in amplitube? How is this better aside from adding our own stuff and accessing stuff not currently available otherwise?

We are working to have a better explanation of "AmplITube 5 vs TONEX?" on our site but this is something posted on YouTube that people seem to feel explains it pretty well:

AmpliTube and TONEX are two different products using different technologies: AmpliTube is made using analog modeling technology while TONEX uses a new technology called AI machine modeling ( https://www.amplitube.com/ai ). While analog modeling simulates the behavior of the whole circuit of the amp - with all the knobs, switches, buttons and their interactions - AI machine modeling gives an ultra-realistic simulation of the rig with a specific knob settings. So it's not that one technology is "better" than the other, it depends of what the final user's needs are: full editing and customization versus accuracy in getting a specific sound. Using them together gives of course the best of both worlds and a super-powerful amp-sim system.

The two products are also different because AmpliTube can simulate the entire set up used in guitar recording (multiple serial and parallel rigs combining amps, all type of stomp effects, post effects, cabinets and microphones, etc.. with full editing down to the single gear), while TONEX is dedicated to simulates just amp, cabinets and certain type of pedals (distortions, overdrive, fuzz, EQ, boost) in each of their combinations. However TONEX can be used inside AmpliTube, as a sub-system of amps and pedals, again to have the best of both worlds.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:15 pm

I think Peter_IK's description captures is pretty well, though I'd summarize it as:
  • AmpliTube provides digital simulations of physical gear and, as such, seeks to let you control individual parameters of that gear with corresponding effects on the tone as much like as if you were using the real physical gear as possible.
  • TONEX creates "snapshots" of a particular chain of physical gear and lets you reapply that "snapshot" to the signal.
So they are different things, with different approaches that perhaps ostensibly solve different problems for different people. IMO (and others may well correct me!), if you want to simulate being in a studio with access to a big pile of gear whose placement and parameters you can control, then AmpliTube seems designed for that. If you want to create a "snapshot" of a particular chain of gear or apply such a snapshot that you or someone else has created previously, then TONEX seems designed for that.

I think of TONEX being particularly attractive to people who have access to particular gear that they like but either it's not in AmpliTube or, even if it is in AmpliTube ... Well, you want your personal JCM 800, which you know and love better than AmpliTube's Brit 8000 :lol: and you've already found the perfect placement in your room, and the perfect mic with the perfect positioning on the absolutely best speaker in your favorite cab ... but you want the convenience of going back to that perfect tone at a moment's notice, forever, anywhere there's a computer, without the hassle of dragging all your gear around, setting it up, sound-checking, etc. and etc. .... TONEX basically lets you do that.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby DarkStar » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:03 pm

^^^
So TONEX lets you put your (fragile, heavy, temperamental, power-hungry) boxes "in the box"? :)

As carlaz says (much better than I can), you could use TONEX to capture your favourite combos of your gear, then use the presets in AmpliTube TONEX as and when you want.

Without some good tagging and filtering on ToneNET I am not sure that I would go through the thousands of TONEX models though.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby hunimx » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:28 am

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

What would be the biggest advantage for using TONEX Capture box against connecting the line-out of the load box directly to the audio inter face?

As I have an AXE I/O which has a reamping output, can I directly connect the amp out directly to my HIWATT SA112 Combo amp?

Can I understand that the Tonex Capture box ensures optimum signal level and impedance of the connections?

Thanks.

Hun
hunimx

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:57 pm

hunimx wrote:Many thanks for the helpful replies.

What would be the biggest advantage for using TONEX Capture box against connecting the line-out of the load box directly to the audio inter face?

As I have an AXE I/O which has a reamping output, can I directly connect the amp out directly to my HIWATT SA112 Combo amp?

Can I understand that the Tonex Capture box ensures optimum signal level and impedance of the connections?

Thanks.

Hun

TONEX Capture is not required if you already have a re-amp box but it is a great re-amp box and companion to TONEX of course. However, if you already have AXE I/O, you can use that as it has re-amping abilities and you can see in our videos that we've used AXE I/O to capture what you've seen and heard so far (including for the audio demos on our site too).
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby hunimx » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:04 pm

Dear Peter,

Thank you for the clarification.

Ciao,

Hun
hunimx

Postby carlaz » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:04 pm

Though I would unhesitatingly recommend the AXE I/O to anyone using AmpliTube anyway.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:26 pm

carlaz wrote:Though I would unhesitatingly recommend the AXE I/O to anyone using AmpliTube anyway.

Agreed, even without my bias I would be using this thing (I have two) and I've been playing guitar for almost 40 years now and studied recording so I hope I have some general clout too :D
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby vintagecharlie » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:06 pm

Not to hijack your thread, but i did not want to open a new topic for this.

I just bought the Tonex Capture reamp device and am installing ToneX. Honestly i was not impressed by the factory sounds, but some of the user stuff seems to confirm that it can get extremely close to the reference amps. So i'm eager to try. But i now realized that the AXE I/O might have been a better option, as it is interface and reamping device in one box - less stuff to connect, levels to adjust and make errors in the process. I've learned through my previous reamping efforts that getting the levels right and getting rid of various noise issues is the most important part.

So it seems like the AXE I/O might be the best choice for use with ToneX even though i have a very high quality adio interface (Arturia audio fuse studio) and the ToneX capture reamper now.

I also do not need the through function of the capture device, as i will use a reactive load and that also has that option, if needed.

So what will get me the best (closest to reference amp) tones with ToneX - high quality audio interface + ToneX capture or simply the AXE I/O?
vintagecharlie

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling