Cant hear AmpliTube5 as a VST plugin on cakewalk

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Cant hear AmpliTube5 as a VST plugin on cakewalk

Postby Brobams52 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:46 am

I am using AmpliTube 5 as a VST plugin on Cakewalk and the plugin shows no input or output and I hear nothing when playing guitar. Although after recording, playback includes all the AmpliTube 5 effects.

I am using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen interface with ASIO on Cakewalk. I have a cable running from the headphone input (at the front of the interface) to my headset and can hear my raw guitar through the Direct Monitor.

How can I hear AmpliTube 5 (VST plugin) through my headset while recording? (not just recording) I am not very experienced when it comes to DAWs and VST-Plugins.
Brobams52

Re: Cant hear AmpliTube5 as a VST plugin on cakewalk

Postby Brobams52 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:03 am

Also during playback AmpliTube shows Input and output.
Brobams52

Postby garfy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:23 pm

Hello Brobams52 and welcome to the forum.

The Scarlett Solo has input 2 as the instrument input so make sure that has been selected as your monitored input in your DAW. Also, you will need to turn off Direct Monitoring to hear the output of your DAW and therefore AT5 while you're recording.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby christopher.moyse » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:30 pm

If you want to monitor via Cakewalk (thereby to hear the output of AT5 and any other FX you are using) you need to click the given track's Input Echo = On. Hopefully, this is all you need to do.

Be aware that there will be some latency, depending upon what other FX's you have loaded and the routing you are using. This latency can be large, because of Cakewalk's Plug-In Delay Compensation (PDC), which acts to line-up different audio streams to nullify the effect of their combined processing delays. The intent of this is to make playback of multiple tracks perfectly aligned, which it does very well. However, the only way it can work is to insert delays to bring all streams to match whatever track has the longest processing delay. This can be very distracting during recording. To overcome this, Cakewalk provides a PDC Override button, which does what it says for your live instruments (e.g. guitar). However, I find it is usually better to arrange the routing of multiple tracks during recording as directly as possible - i.e. I leave "unnecessary" FX out and route essential instruments and FX as directly as possible to the hardware audio outputs and leave PDC Override off. Try the alternatives to see which works best in your setup.
christopher.moyse

Postby Billy86 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:50 pm

I use AT5 as a plug-in in cakewalk. The suggestions here are spot on.
AT5, Fender Collection 1, SVT Collection 1&2, Hendrix Collection, Brian May Collection, Slash Collection
Billy86

Postby ShackChan24 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:07 pm

So I got everything working.....can hear a clean tone in Cakewalk. But can't get any effects or preset tones to play through Cakewalk.
Any suggestions on what may be missing?
Assuming its probably a simple setting in either Cakewalk or Amplutube at this point on why none of the tone changes carry over from Amplitube VST.....just a single clean tone only

Of note...I am plugged into the Headphone port on the Axe I/O
May need to change where I plug the headphones into ?
ShackChan24

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:22 pm

ShackChan24 wrote:So I got everything working.....can hear a clean tone in Cakewalk. But can't get any effects or preset tones to play through Cakewalk.
Any suggestions on what may be missing?
Assuming its probably a simple setting in either Cakewalk or Amplutube at this point on why none of the tone changes carry over from Amplitube VST.....just a single clean tone only

Of note...I am plugged into the Headphone port on the Axe I/O
May need to change where I plug the headphones into ?

Have you turned the MONITOR knob on AXE I/O fully to the "DAW" side?
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling