Orange AD200 include any bass cabs or effects?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Orange AD200 include any bass cabs or effects?

Postby gmr2048 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:43 am

I'm a bass player and I'm interested in the individual (~$30) Orange AD200 bass amp. Anybody know if it includes any cabs or effects? The (~$50-100) Orange pack (or whatever it's called) has several amps, cabs and effects, but pretty much everything is guitar-centric. I don't need to buy a bunch of amps and cabs I'm never gonna use. If I could score just the bass amp and bass cab(s), I'd buy it in a minute.

Thanks!

Gary
gmr2048

Re: Orange AD200 include any bass cabs or effects?

Postby carlaz » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pm

Models of heads and models of cabs are always separate and purchased separately in AmpliTube. (This is true also for models based on "real-world" combos, which are split out into the amp and cab components for the purposes of AmpliTube.) Models of rack/stomp-box effects are also separate purchases.

However, remember that you can trial any number of any pieces of gear (heads, cabs, effects, etc.) via the Custom Shop for 72 hours at a time (after which there is some lapse before you can try a given piece of gear again, but I don't remember what it is!). So you could easily download and install the free version of AmpliTube (i.e., AmpliTube CS) and try out the AD200 model and any number of cab models (and effects) to go with it for the next 72 hours.

Moreover, AmpliTube CS comes with 6 freebie cab models, one of which is intended for bass: the 1x15 Bass Vintage, which I think is an older model based on the Ampeg B-15 cab/speaker. So you could always carry on using that with the AD200 model or any other amp model if you really loved the AD200 but weren't ready to spring for the Orange 8x10 OBC 810 cab model, or whatever. :D
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby gmr2048 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:22 pm

Thanks, carlaz! I've got the CS version of AmpliTube 5, and the 1x15 bass cab is OK, but doesn't blow me away. I'll have to find the time to trial the AD200 and a few cabs and decide if the individual cost is worth it, or if I should just go for the whole Orange pack and get all the amps and cabs (even the ones I won't use).

Appreciate the insights!

Gary
gmr2048

Postby squeezenor » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:38 pm

Depends on the sale price that particular day, but buying things a la carte stops being worth it pretty quickly. An amp here, a few cabs there and another pedal or two and you're better off just buying everything, and being stuck with a bunch of things you don't need or want but they were "free".

For what it's worth, I think the orange collection is the best one in amplitube by some measure (though it has a very specific flavor), and I usually prefer to either biamp or use two cabs on bass. Warm fundamental from the 1x15 and the articulation and clarity from some 10s" in some configuration. Though it's been forever since I messed with the orange bass options.
squeezenor

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:43 pm

Also note that the AmpliTube Collections including Orange are 50% off but that only runs through tomorrow.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:39 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Also note that the AmpliTube Collections including Orange are 50% off but that only runs through tomorrow.

IMO, that's probably worth it! 8-)

I started off buying just a few things a la carte, but as gmr2048 observes it is usually a much better value to buy a given collection when its on sale (as the Orange currently is!).

The Orange collection is certainly one of my favorites, though I actually end up using the OR120 on bass more than the AD200! :shock: But I do like rather dirty bass. :mrgreen:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:45 pm

I wish the 70s-era OR120 we modeled was back in the US office. Currently our Italian HQ gets to enjoy keeping an eye on it :(
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:59 pm

Peter_IK wrote:I wish the 70s-era OR120 we modeled was back in the US office. Currently our Italian HQ gets to enjoy keeping an eye on it :(

I bet! :lol:

On bass, I often bi-amp the OR120 model alongside the AD200 (which seems very resistant to be pushed into overdrive; it likes to stay clean and fat!) or the SVX-VR (which can be pushed into overdrive a little easier by cranking the EQ knobs :mrgreen: ), with the OR120 providing my top-end grit with judicious use of, especially, the F.A.C. and HF. Drive controls. Blending in some compressed DI can help keep the bottom end tight (though the AD200 has plenty of bottom in it, anyway).

The Thunderverb 200 can also be a fun bass amp (as well as a guitar amp), on its own or in bi-amped rigs.

For guitar, the OR120 model is also a frequent "go-to", though it's the RockerVerb 50 that has long been my "default" guitar starting point. Its reign may however be being challenged by the MiniPlex 20, which is fairly awesome. I like boosting it with the Treble Booster from the Brian May collection. :mrgreen:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby squeezenor » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:06 pm

Yes, the thunderverb is an absolute champion on bass. Do that a lot.

One pedal I'd like to shine a light on is the trex mudhoney. It really compliments the ad200 if you want some dirt options and it will take your cranked or120 and essentially turn it into a rockerverb, but much less compressed with a slightly different texture and a controllable low end. I'm really enjoying that trick; so much so that I'm starting to like around to see if I can find one of the hand wired mudhoneys. It just works with oranges, it seems.

Never tried the or120 on bass but I bet I will now.
squeezenor

Postby carlaz » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:10 am

Yes, the OR120 is gnarly on bass. You can pair it with a "proper" bass cab, though I quite often just use the Orange 4x12 cab model on its own (though you can also pair it with an 8x10 or something, of course) and it works well for a more overdriven tone. 8-)
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:19 pm

For grit during the Time Machine tour I believe that's when Geddy Lee paired the AD200 with an Orange 4x10 cab with great success. Though he did move to the non-amp/cab setup after that.

Previously if I recall correctly in the earlier days he'd use both his Ampeg and Sunn rigs to get a nice combination of clean/dirty as well as low end/high end.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling