IR Function Suggestion?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

IR Function Suggestion?

Postby JasonFunk » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:16 am

Not sure where to put this suggestion.... but maybe on the IR location add "drag and drop" function. Also, maybe allow them to stay in the order you add them or allow them to be alphabetized. I've got all my IRs in there but they're all over the place so you have to spend so much time looking for them. Organization would make it so much easier.
JasonFunk

Re: IR Function Suggestion?

Postby carlaz » Thu May 12, 2022 4:31 pm

I would copy this into the "Official AmpliTube 5 FEATURES Wishlist" thread (usually pinned near the top of the list of "AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling" threads). I think there have been other calls for making the IR loader a bit more user-friendly, though, and I think I even recall one of the IKM reps on the forum saying this was something about which the dev team is aware.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby JasonFunk » Sun May 15, 2022 3:22 am

carlaz wrote:I would copy this into the "Official AmpliTube 5 FEATURES Wishlist" thread (usually pinned near the top of the list of "AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling" threads). I think there have been other calls for making the IR loader a bit more user-friendly, though, and I think I even recall one of the IKM reps on the forum saying this was something about which the dev team is aware.

Perfect! Great to hear! I was unaware of that section lol, I’ll be sure to post there next time with something like this. Thanks!
JasonFunk

Postby Triton_Palace » Mon May 16, 2022 7:58 am

Slightly off topic BUT do you recommend any good IR's?

Just starting to 'play' with them a bit more and researching some good ones to try, I have grabbed a huge number of free ones from another site and was told that Gods Cabs are good but there are loads of others in there.

I was also researching yesterday and the following paid ones have been recommended:
Lancaster Audio
Bogren Digital - Look like a 'metal' amp pack though
GGD
Red Wirez - has a free sample
Science Amplification - free sample

Cheers,
Triton_Palace

Postby carlaz » Mon May 16, 2022 4:05 pm

Triton_Palace wrote:Slightly off topic BUT do you recommend any good IR's?

I actually don't use 3rd-party IRs very much -- I like messing around with the Cab Room in AmpliTube. :ugeek:

That said, I do have a small collection of 3rd-party IRs that exist for special purposes. I hope I'm not violating official forum rule by commenting on a 3rd-party item for which AmpliTube actually contains a specific feature to enable its use :shock: but -- that said! -- I don't really bother with the big sets of IRs that are intended to do what Cab Room already does: model the movements of different mics by inches (or half inches!) across and in front of a given speaker. Cab Room does this more intuitively, IMO, anyway.

And, OK, I have a few IRs that model speakers/cabs that Cab Room lacks -- I have some from Lancaster (this is Warren Huart's thing, yes? He's very cool) and I have some just from Celestion. I honestly don't use them a lot, though.

The 3rd-party IRs I use most frequently (instead of Cab Room) are the Bogren Digital ones, precisely because they are basically just EQ curves (usually with dumb, juvenile names :lol: ) put together by a justly respected producer. There is no pretense that the Bogren Digital IRs are attempting to let you mimic the process of setting mics in front of speakers: it's just: "Here are basically some EQ curves. Pick what works for the guitars in your mix." This is completely the opposite approach from Cab Room (or most giant packs of 3rd-party IRs) :mrgreen: and sometimes it is just what I need. If I've been futzing around in Cab Room, and I'm not sure about what I'm getting, and my ears are getting stale, I can flip through the Bogren Digital IRs for a fresh perspective without thinking about mics and placement at all.

I don't think it really matters that Jens is famed as a metal producer or that the IRs are marketed that way. I would imagine that, if you run a clean Fender amp in to some of them, you'll get just the right balance for chicken pickin' or whatever. :mrgreen: I think it's really just that they're a bunch of EQ curves designed to get different guitars to sit quickly in different mixes without overthinking things is what makes them useful.

If there are other 3rd-party IR packs with the same kind of use-philolsophy, that would be cool, too. I don't know! :roll: I haven't really looked. Otherwise, if I want to mess around with virtually modelled cabs and speakers and mic placements, well, AmpliTube does that with the Cab Room.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Triton_Palace » Mon May 16, 2022 10:12 pm

Carlaz,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Also heard good things of Celestion, you have helped me narrow it down to a handful of companies to try out and see what works.

Thanks again,
Triton_Palace

Postby carlaz » Mon May 16, 2022 10:45 pm

Happy to (try to!) help!

I'm not aware of any other amp sims that really have anything like AmpliTube's Cab Room, which is really (as I understand it) a huge pile of IRs with a nifty interface that lets you move virtual mic around more intuitively.

Thus, I think most (non-AmpliTube) amp sims really need further 3rd-party IRs to get the most out of them -- since speakers/cabs are so hugely important for tone -- and thus some of the IR makers offer packages with loads of files representing slightly different captures: e.g., "Speaker type X with Mic type A set in the center of the speaker", "Speaker type X with Mic type A set 1" from the center of the speaker", "Speaker type X with Mic type A set A 2" from the center of the speaker", etc. and etc. and so on, and so on.

Some of the IR packages like this out there have excellent reputations, but it seems to me like this is basically just what I can do more intuitively with Cab Room (and I know IKM threw a lot of resources at updating Cab Room for AmpliTube 5).

So, there are (of course) some cab/speaker types that aren't modelled in AmpliTube, and then, if you are really into those cabs/speakers :geek: , you might want to grab those specific IR packs from a well-respected IR maker. (Or hope that AmpliTube eventually acquires, say, some Laney cabs ... cough cough :mrgreen: .) Or you might want to go the Bogren Digital route, which is basically "Forget about the physical gear! We made these IRs because they are useful in different situations for us, and so just see whether they work for you." :D
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby JasonFunk » Wed May 18, 2022 3:55 am

Triton_Palace wrote:Carlaz,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Also heard good things of Celestion, you have helped me narrow it down to a handful of companies to try out and see what works.

Thanks again,

Hey, shoot me a PM about IRs and I can give you a few useful ones.
JasonFunk

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling