What laptop is best for beginner music production?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Postby Christk1 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:59 am

I’m class of 2025 studying music in the fall and I’m about to get my college laptop, but I want to get one that’s good for music production while also being cost effective. I have exactly zero experience with production but I play a few instruments and am very trained in music theory. Any advice at all is also greatly appreciated !!
Christk1

Re: What laptop is best for beginner music production?

Postby 6stringer » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:14 am

Congrats on starting your college career.

There are about a million opinions on this. I personally have a Windows computer, and run a free DAW (Cakewalk). But I'm not a music production student (I'm a software engineer). The reason I use Windows is simply cost. I can get a Windows laptop (or desktop) for less than a Mac.

First, has the school you're attending specified any software or hardware that you have to use? That might have an impact on what laptop you choose. For example, Logic is only available on a Mac.

Second, you don't say what your budget is. If budget isn't a big issue, I'd probably go with a Mac, even though I currently use Windows. The reason for the Mac recommendation is I suspect that most of your professors will be Mac based, as well as other students. Plus, the IT department at the school will probably be more able to provide help with Macs (because most of the professors and students will be Mac based). If you have the money, a MacBook Pro would be the way to go. More power than a MacBook Air. Keep in mind, they are larger and more bulkier to carry around campus. Another advantage to the Mac is almost all audio interfaces support Mac, where as, some of the audio interfaces will only support windows if you have adapter cards (Thunderbolt interfaces is an example).
6stringer

Postby jih64 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:27 am

A Desktop. ;)
jih64

Postby supanorton » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:40 am

The one with the most processing power, memory, and storage that you can afford.
supanorton

Postby Christk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:52 pm

jih64 wrote:

[Mod Edit: suspicious links removed; posting further such links will result in a forum ban.]
A Desktop. ;)

So Desktop is better then laptop...

Thanks for the reply...
Christk1

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling