Issues with Amplitube 5

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Issues with Amplitube 5

Postby Eastbound71 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:00 am

After trying to use amplitube 5 for a week, here are the problems I am having (below). Have reached out to tech support and they have not made any suggestions on how to fix. I've spent way too much time trying to work the bugs out, and about ready to give up and ask for my money back.

My interface is the SSL2

My PC exceeds the minimum requirements for this software

1. Levels are too low when recording tracks on the built in DAW. I need to overdrive my audio interface to get to acceptable recording levels

2. If I add more then 3 tracks in the DAW, it starts to crackle and pop on the 4th track

3. Program will randomly crash and freeze up
Eastbound71

Re: Issues with Amplitube 5

Postby garfy » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:26 am

Hello Eastbound71 and welcome to the forums.

With regards to contacting support, do you mean that they have not replied at all to your ticket or they have not given you an answer that fixes your problems? In either instance, you can reply to your own ticket and ask for a reply/further assistance. Further information about interaction with Tech Support can be found in this post...

As for the issues you have detailed:

A1. This is a symptom of the AI and not the software. Have you engaged the Hi-Z button on your input channel to set the correct impedance for an instrument level input? What level are you actually seeing on the AI's level meter and how does this correlate with the level in the DAW section? Also, you will only be recording the dry input into the DAW and then applying the AT5 effects over the top in real time, so the visual representation of the audio might not look like you expect.

A2. As in answer 2, if you add more tracks then you start using more processing power for real time effects. What values have you got your buffer size set to? If you increase these you will hopefully get less popping.

A3. Yeah, that one is better suited for a deep dive with IK Support who will give you one-to-one guidance.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Eastbound71 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:12 pm

Yes tech support has replied, but have made no suggestions on how to resolve the issues. Since I've had these issues from the start, and am no closer to getting these resolved, I am considering asking for a refund. Thats why I am posting on here, to see if anyone can help. I like the software and wish I could use it, but it is not working for me

1. Yes the Hi-Z button has always been in the on position of my AI. Otherwise there is no output.
The meter on my AI gets up to -10. If I turn it up any more, it starts to distort and clip (red zone on the meter)
At the same time, the input level meter on the DAW never gets above -25

2. Buffer is set to 512. If I set it any higher, it gets too much latency and doesn't sound right. My cpu usage does not above 40% when using the program. I have no effects on the amps except chorus engaged on the jazz amp itself
Eastbound71

Postby garfy » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:14 pm

Eastbound71 wrote:tech support has replied, but have made no suggestions on how to resolve the issues

Follow the guidance that I linked in my previous post to let them know that the problem is not resolved.

1. I don't use the DAW side of AT5, but have just checked on mine and, as long as the fader on the channel being recorded onto is set to 0dB, the level shown in the meter tracks my input level shown on my AI pretty much identically. Not sure why yours doesn't.

2. Are you using the SSL ASIO drivers from their website?
garfy

Postby Eastbound71 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:29 pm

Thanks for your responses. Ive already emailed tech support

1.My fader is set to 0db. I would expect the recording level to be equal to my AI, but is lower than expected

2. Yes I am using the SSL2 asio drivers and they show up fine in the amplitube control panel. As a side note, tried using ASIO 4 all and this driver gave me the same problems

3. Then there is still the problem of adding more than 3 tracks and then getting the crackles and pops
and the fact the program sometimes crashes completely

Although I've spent many hours on these issues already, I am no further along than I was from the start. Super frustrating
Eastbound71

Postby Eastbound71 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:39 pm

Hello, is there anyone who can help resolve my issues?

What's up with the input levels when trying to use clean tones? Its horribly low when comparing to other guitar software. How do you increase it without effecting tone? I have good level at my AI. Why do I lose level through the amplitube software?

Why does amplitube start to crackle and pop after adding more than 3 tracks in the DAW section?

Does IK recognize these as legitimate problems?
Eastbound71

Postby garfy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:40 pm

Hi Eastbound71

As I'm sure you appreciate, this is a user to user forum and not direct to IK Official Support, hence my advice to contact them via the ticketing system. They will be able to advise you with regards to the crashes and crackle/latency issues as these will probably specific to your system. If you want to escalate your ticket with Support please follow the link in my earlier post for details on how to do this.

As for the level issue, I guess the other thing to check is that the input level slider in the bottom left hand corner of the main GUI is at 0dB. You can raise this level to send more signal into the software without affecting the recorded clean guitar signal from your AI.
garfy

Postby 6stringer » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:26 pm

What do you have your master input level for Amplitube set at? (This is the slider in the lower left corner). Moving that slider to the right will increase the input level. If this is not at 0.0, that could account for why your signal level in the software is lower than the signal level being output from your audio device.
6stringer

Postby Boogieshoes » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:32 pm

If you got no joy with support ( I didn't either - I gave up trying to get any help from them ) then if you are using a DAW its probably worth find the DAW forum and seeking support from other users in that area.

If you are not using a DAW then your best bet would be to try the SSL2 manufacturers support site to resolve settings with the SSL2. Many of the AT5 presets are frankly completely overblown and way too loud if the interface is setup and NOT overdriving. More offten than not it is necessary to back off the AT5 output level (bottom right of the present screen) to not blast the monitors. So to me it sounds like there is an issue with the SSL2 setup first.
Boogieshoes

Postby Matthias Mueller » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:22 am

Hello,

Eastbound71 wrote:1. Levels are too low when recording tracks on the built in DAW. I need to overdrive my audio interface to get to acceptable recording levels

*Please make sure to never clip your converters in your Audio Interface when recording/playing live*

- Set your Audio Interface to Hi-Z and raise the Input Gain (on your AI) to -20 - -10 while you are playing. (As you already did)

- In Amplitube's "DAW" select the first Track (1-Audio) and make sure:
your Input and Output (Master DAW) Gain is set to Zero
your R(ecord) is activated (red)
your channel fader is set to zero
You have selected Input 1 (or Input 2) and not Stereo
-Turn off "Amplitube" (above the EQ knobs)

Now you should have the same level on the channel as on your Audio Interface. Yes?

If so, you can now activate "amplitube" again and raise your Input slider in Amplitube (bottom left) till you start hitting the red (and beyond...).

Eastbound71 wrote:2. If I add more then 3 tracks in the DAW, it starts to crackle and pop on the 4th track

What samplerate do you use?
Check: File -> Project Settings (try to lower the sample rate or increase the buffer size if necessary)

Eastbound71 wrote:3. Program will randomly crash and freeze up

Maybe this also stops when reducing the sample rate or increase the buffer size.

I hope i could help, if not i'm sorry :)
Matthias Mueller

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling