HELP! Amplitube is crackling and popping!

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

HELP! Amplitube is crackling and popping!

Postby ozanozan » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:26 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am using Axe IO Solo and Amplitube 5 on my M1 chip Macbook Air. I cannot believe that I am having all this crackling and popping noise when the buffer is 16. When I set it to 32, it's still there but less. Surprisingly I didn't have this problem when I was using my thousand year old mAudio Fast Track Pro. I ditched it and got the AXE IO solo.

What could be the problem here? Anyone experienced something similar with the same setup and solved it in a way?

Macbook Air M1
Axe IO Solo connected via USB2 to USBC converter
Amplitube 5
ozanozan

Re: HELP! Amplitube is crackling and popping!

Postby ozanozan » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:35 am

Update:
Purchased a cable that has a USB-C output so now I connect AXE IO solo to Macbook M1 without any converter. Popping noises are still there.
ozanozan

Postby Matthias Mueller » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:25 pm

Hi,

I don't have an Axe I/O nore a Mac but it should be more or less the same.

I can only give a basic "checklist" you probably already gone through:

- Correct driver selected in Amplitube/DAW? (Not Asio4all)
- Same Samplerate as before?
- Newest driver? maybe there is an updated Version or maybe a re-install will help.
- Some other Program in the backround that clashes with the driver? (should not happen but you never know..)
- Not ideal but....With higher buffer size it's gone? Maybe try a higher buffer size (like 128) and see if latency is still low enough.

hope i could help, if not i'm sorry
Matthias Mueller

Postby ozanozan » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:02 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply!

On a Mac, I guess you don't need to use a driver. What I can see is that AT5 uses up to 40% of the CPU and there is nothing else going on. All the settings, including sample rate look OK. Still there is all this crackling and popping sounds. It's super frustrating.

I record with other musicians on an app and cannot go back and move my track and fix the timing. It has to be spot on. In this way, I cannot even lock in to the drummer while playing bass. :oops:

Waiting for a reply from the support.
ozanozan

Postby garfy » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:59 am

Hello ozanozan

ozanozan wrote:I record with other musicians on an app and cannot go back and move my track and fix the timing. It has to be spot on. In this way, I cannot even lock in to the drummer while playing bass.

Can you explain a bit more about this. When you say recording with other musicians on an app, is this app running on your system at the same time? Are you remote recording live online?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Eastbound71 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:58 pm

I have the same problem with the crackling and popping after adding more then 3 tracks in the DAW. I have my buffer set to 512 . MY PC exceeds all minimum requirements. Have not gotten much help from anyone on how to fix this problem

To the tech support people or anyone who knows for sure: Should meeting the PC requirements for this software allow it to run flawlessly, with as many tracks and effects as I want? (all other problems aside)

My amplitube adventure has not been a pleasant one!
Eastbound71

Postby rspst14 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:46 pm

16 is extremely low for a buffer size. I keep mine set to 64, and even that seems to be a lot lower than what others are using. Try gradually raising it and see if the issue goes away.
rspst14

Postby ozanozan » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:19 am

Thanks for the suggestion.

When you are to record something live with a buffer size of 64, do you feel latency? I am sure I do and it gets very hard to lock in with the drummer (I play bass).

So, I go to Amplitube 5, the signal goes back to Axe IO, then Axe IO to Irig Pro I/O and to my phone. Recordings are live and I cannot go back and move my tracks a smidge to solve the latency issue. When I record without Axe IO and Amplitube, everything works just fine.

The problem is this: I meet the minimum requirements. I turn off any other flippin app on my mac. Running just AT5. Then I cannot use it when I set the buffer size to a value. I wrote to support, looking forward to their suggestions.
ozanozan

Postby rspst14 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:44 pm

I've never done any recording with Amplitube, so I can't comment on the latency issue. Playing stand-alone through my Axe I/O Solo and a pair of studio monitors with the buffer set at 64, I do not detect any latency. I'm using the Windows version with a fairly new PC.
rspst14

Postby garfy » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:29 pm

ozanozan wrote:So, I go to Amplitube 5, the signal goes back to Axe IO, then Axe IO to Irig Pro I/O and to my phone. Recordings are live and I cannot go back and move my tracks a smidge to solve the latency issue.

With respect ozanozan, this was not the signal chain mentioned in your original post.

You said:
ozanozan wrote:I am using Axe IO Solo and Amplitube 5 on my M1 chip Macbook Air.

Where are you monitoring your signal, where is the recording happening (device and app) and where are the musicians that you are playing along too?
garfy

Postby ozanozan » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:10 pm

Sorry for the confusion. I monitor my signal coming from AT5 on Axe IO and I hear crackling & popping sounds. The rest of the chain is irrelevant to this topic.

FACT: On my M1 Mac, I run my signal through AT5 with Axe IO and hearing crackling noises.

I mentioned rest of my chain just to emphasize that I cannot afford latency. Have to keep it as low as possible. Given the specifications, I think that I should be able to. Hope it is clear now.

garfy wrote:
ozanozan wrote:So, I go to Amplitube 5, the signal goes back to Axe IO, then Axe IO to Irig Pro I/O and to my phone. Recordings are live and I cannot go back and move my tracks a smidge to solve the latency issue.

With respect ozanozan, this was not the signal chain mentioned in your original post.

You said:
ozanozan wrote:I am using Axe IO Solo and Amplitube 5 on my M1 chip Macbook Air.

Where are you monitoring your signal, where is the recording happening (device and app) and where are the musicians that you are playing along too?
ozanozan

Postby garfy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:55 pm

ozanozan wrote:FACT: On my M1 Mac, I run my signal through AT5 with Axe IO and hearing crackling noises.

ozanozan wrote:On a Mac, I guess you don't need to use a driver.

You do need to use the IK driver and control panel. Perhaps they might help your issues. Have a look in the IKPM to install it.
garfy

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling