Input control on Amplitube 5

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Input control on Amplitube 5

Postby mickeybravo1984 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:45 am

Hello. I recently purchased the AXE I/O and Amplitube 5 Max combo package. Love everything about it but one thing I am confused about. I understand that in order to get the guitar signal into Amplitube correctly the first thing I should do is adjust the gain on the AXE I/O and my guitar at its max output volume and use hard strokes to get it to clipping and then back off just enough I don’t get any more clipping.

Assuming I have that correct, within Amplitube 5 should
I make any adjustments to the input control on the Amplitube interface (eg just below the point of clipping), or is it designed to process the signal at its default 0 dB setting so that lower versus higher output pickups “drive” a given amp accordingly?
mickeybravo1984

Re: Input control on Amplitube 5

Postby Matthias Mueller » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:40 am

Hello,

Sadly i don't have a correct answer to your question. But i had/have the same question as you.

You can read about this in this topic, i opened up not long ago. It's more or less the same question.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29580

In my topic is also a link to another thread (on another forum) you may find interesting.

Hope that helps a little bit.
Matthias Mueller

Postby mickeybravo1984 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:42 pm

@mattias, thanks so much. Off of your thread I pulled the following link and wanted to see if you have tried this:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482600
mickeybravo1984

Postby Matthias Mueller » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:54 pm

mickeybravo1984 wrote:@mattias, thanks so much. Off of your thread I pulled the following link and wanted to see if you have tried this:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482600

Yes, and currently i use this method (but only for practice and daily playing). But i haven't calibrated with any voltage meters or anything. I just copied the settings for my Babyface, since they was mentioned in this thread. So maybe i'm a bit off but i don't think thats more than +/-1db (at most).

At first it seemed to be more accurate/realistic this way, but meanwhile i don't know anymore :? My lack of experience with real tube amps (exactly zero to be exact :lol:) doesn't make me the best person to test/judge this.

I think without any enlightening answer from IK Multimidia we will never know :(
Matthias Mueller

Postby squeezenor » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:21 pm

Amplitube likes a hot signal. Unusually so. More so than other amp sims. My default patch has it cranked, if that means anything to you. I keep my preamp low so it stays clean and uncolored. I find that lots of the amps, especially the higher gain ones, either sound underpowered or somehow not right if that input isn't cranked. Even the clean ones benefit for the most part.

So try that. It seems to hold true regardless of the amp, guitar, pickups, or tones I'm after.
squeezenor

Postby Matthias Mueller » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:36 pm

squeezenor wrote:Amplitube likes a hot signal. Unusually so. More so than other amp sims. My default patch has it cranked, if that means anything to you. I keep my preamp low so it stays clean and uncolored. I find that lots of the amps, especially the higher gain ones, either sound underpowered or somehow not right if that input isn't cranked. Even the clean ones benefit for the most part.

So try that. It seems to hold true regardless of the amp, guitar, pickups, or tones I'm after.

Hello squeezenor,

It helps a lot to hear that i'm not the only one with this opinion. I also think that especially the high gain amps sound quite "boomy" and don't have as much gain as i would expect. (With Amplitube's suggested or even lower gain stage)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post now is not very scientific or accurate but maybe i can help someone to get at least in the ballpark to this calibration without actually calibrate.

I took some "measurements" with the 1VAC=0dbFS calibration. All knobs (on the guitar) fully cranked. I played very hard. I noted the maximum peak level.

Tele:
Bridge: Mexico 50's Tele
Neck: Mexico Vintage Tele
(i don't know if this is 100% correct but you get the point, ...t style singlecoils...)

Tele Bridge PU:
Palm muted E String: +0dbFS
Strummed G Chord: +1.7dbFS

Tele Neck PU:
Palm muted E String: -7dbFS
Strummed G Chord: -4dbFS

Schecter:
Bridge: Seymour Duncan BlackOuts AHB-1
Neck: Seymour Duncan BlackOuts AHB-1
(...active Humbucker....)

Schecter Bridge PU:
Palm muted E String: +9dbFS
Strummed G Chord: +11dbFS

Schecter Neck PU:
Palm muted E String: +7dbFS
Strummed G Chord: +10,5dbFS

-Plug in your guitar and set up your recording level like you would normaly do. (-18db, as hot as you can without clipping or whatever level you like, it doesn't matter. But don't clip your converter...)
-In your DAW put a gain plugin on the guitar track and raise the level while you play till it matches with the numbers i posted. (yes, most likely you will see red lights, thats okay. Just put a limiter on your master for now.)
- You may want to adjust the amount of boost to compensate for your own pickups (sadly i can't give any numbers here, you have to go with your ears and feelings)
(- you can also do this in amplitube by adjusting the input but make sure you solo the DI signal!)
-Now you can put Amplitube into your chain and you are ready to go.
-Once set up you should be able to change guitars without changeing anything else. (To keep the "characteristics" of different guitars intact.)

If you try this for yourself please let me/us know if you like it or not or what you think. :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To "proove" that this method applies to Amplitube i found this in the manual of the real Engl e650:

2 Clean
The amount of distortion depends on your guitar's pickups and the Gain (11) setting
Low or High. In Clean mode, single-coil pickups may begin saturating the preamp
when the Clean Gain knob is set to about the four o'clock position; pickups with very
high output levels (humbuckers or active pickups) will evoke mild overdrive at even
lower settings.
If your guitar sports single-coils and you want to add some grit to your tone and bite to
your riffs, set the knob somewhere between 12 and 4 o'clock. For higher output pick-
ups such as humbucking or active jobs, dial in settings between 10 and 2 o'clock and
activate Gain (11).

With Calibration this settings seem to be pretty accurate.
Without Calibration i'm off. When leaving the difference between both guitars intact and set the highest output of both to "near clipping". My Schecter is now about as hot as a singlecoil should be and my Fender is.... :roll:
I think we all can imagine what happens when setting the input for both guitars seperate to "near clipping" and "make them the same"....

Matthias Mueller wrote:At first it seemed to be more accurate/realistic this way, but meanwhile i don't know anymore :?

I asumed that the Super Reverb is more or less the same as the Twin Reverb with only very little differnce.
I was kinda shocked that the Super Reverb already started to distort at 3 with my Tele (this made me suspicious if this method really applies to Amplitube, or at least to all models)
But testing the Twin Reverb model showed that they are completely different.
With my Tele, the Twin Reverb stays (pretty) clean, even with crancked volume setting.
With my Schecter it starts to break up at around 5.
That's what i would expect from a real Fender Twin.

So meanwhile i'm again back to my opinion that Amplitube sees 1VAC as 0dbFS.

But again i don't have any experience with real tube Amps so, i don't know.

(I hope my english is not too bad, so sorry for mistakes. :P )
Matthias Mueller

Postby squeezenor » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:07 am

I struggled with it for a long time. I automatically boosted every amp with a pedal to match what I was hearing from real life and other sims of those same amps. It wasn't until I started cranking the input gain did the amps sound the way I was expecting them to.

As you mention, you have to be careful with the gain staging. With the input cranked you have to watch the volume at the output stage and in the daw to avoid clipping. But it makes everything sound and feel better so it's worth it.

I think it works with the clean amps, too. Like the fenders. They all sounded the same to me until I could begin to hear the different break up characteristics. Even clean they have more personality with the input gain up, it seems.
squeezenor

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:31 pm

Generic copy paste reply removed, as well as reply quoting that. Post was a copy paste merely to add spam links. The reply was sincere but was replying to a spam post so it too was removed.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling