Input Gain Advice/Question in AT5

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Input Gain Advice/Question in AT5

Postby Matthias Mueller » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:19 am

darkogav wrote:Input gain with guitar sim products is a tricky subject because there are just so many different elements at play (interface, audio driver, sample rate, project setting, guitar, signal path, di, guitar PU output, OS, e.t.c.)

Well, it's not that complicated as you might think. But i think there are a lot of misconceptions about this. And in my opinion, manufacturers should start to focus more on this little and easy thing before they come up with the next "groundbreaking new modeling technology for hyperrealistic experience" but no one can use it (correctly), because there is simply missleading or not enough information in the manual on how to use it.

There are different problems when you "plug your guitar into digital world", but not everything has to do with input gain.
interface - yes, every interface has different headroom values, this differences need to be "eliminated".
Audio Driver/ OS - No, doesn't matter what you use to get your input gain right.
Smaple Rate - No, doesn't matter what sample rate you use. (aliasing = different problem)
Project Settings - Could mean different things but let's add:
Buffer Size - No, doesn't matter what buffer size you use (latency = differnet problem)
Guitar/ Guitar PU output - No, doesn't matter
Signal Path/ DI - Yes, e.g. if you use a DI Box you will need to calibrate it too

darkogav wrote:and so many different subjective tastes when it comes to what constitutes a good guitar tone.

at least in my opinion... therefore you have the choice to use different guitars, different amp models and pedals with different settings, different speakers/cabs or IR's with different mics in different positions, list goes on....

But if they say things like:
The most realistic tones ever

IK’s DIM™ and VIR™ technology ensures AmpliTube nails the tone and feel of every piece of gear like never before.

It's not a matter of taste. Either it sounds realistic.... or not.
Doesn't mean that realistic is the sound you like, then you can start tone chasing with things i listed above or experiment with the input gain and use it like a volume pedal before the amp.
Matthias Mueller

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:34 pm

They do sound realistic and if you use proper (and honestly basic is enough) gain staging you'll get great results. If you're not, then the team can figure out what's happening in your setup.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Matthias Mueller » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:44 am

Peter_IK wrote:They do sound realistic and if you use proper (and honestly basic is enough) gain staging you'll get great results. If you're not, then the team can figure out what's happening in your setup.

The Team is not helping! I tried to get in contact with support several times. Other people tried to get in contact with support several times. I got your last reply to my PM about two weeks ago, and since then ...nothing... . This discussion goes on since years now ! (without an answer...)

Meanwhile, I do get great results and love Amplitube but it was a rocky path to get there. But i'm only satisfied with Amplitube if i use a workaround with the input gain and with some models i'm still not sure if it's right.
If i set the input to "near clipping" it doesn't sound like what i would expect and call realistic.
(and i hope your answer doesn't mean that you think i can not set my interface correctly to "near clipping" and need help from support for this......)

My setup is: Guitar straight into my RME interface's Instrument Input into DAW with Amplitube 5.

So please answer my question i asked in the beginning of this thread:

So, long story short, the Question now is: how to properly set the Input gain in/with amplitube?
and please don't say: just set your input level on your interface just before clipping.... :|

I think if it sounds realistic or not can everyone decide (and test) for himself....
(but if you do a comparison, do it fair... no pedals, same settings, similar(ish) guitars... and try different amps, not just one.... )
Matthias Mueller

Postby darkogav » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:38 pm

how to properly set the Input gain in/with amplitube?

My general advice to anyone thinking about this is, it's a subjective setting. The input gain going into the sim is yet one more tool in your tool box which gives you control over how to craft tone. You can craft the tone to try to get as real as you think the amp model should sound, or you can chose to craft the tone to get a sound you heard on a record.

In the case of Amplitube, the more input gain you feed it, that determines how hard you hit the amp sim with signal. The clipping indicator is there as a guide and you obviously don't want to be in the red the whole time, but it's perfectly fine to keep hitting red every once in a while.

The way I approach crating tones is, I first load up an amp and cab, and usually have my interface input gain set way lower than anywhere where I would be when hitting the red clipping indicator. As I tweak the tone, I might do an A/B test to see what sounds better, increasing the gain in the amp sim, or leaving it where it is, and increasing the gain knob in the interface to see what sort of tonal characteristics and color that gives me. I never allow the output to clip and almost always use a rack effect to compress or limit at the end of chain, or i go into the mixer and reduce the gain towards to end of the virtual signal chain to prevent output clipping.

YMMV, but what I have found is the preset in Amplitube are just like presents in any other product. They are there as a starting point to get you started and also a learning tool to see how other people craft tones. But I always have to tweak and customize them to what I think sounds good.
darkogav

Postby Matthias Mueller » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:42 am

darkogav wrote:My general advice to anyone thinking about this is, it's a subjective setting. The input gain going into the sim is yet one more tool in your tool box which gives you control over how to craft tone. You can craft the tone to try to get as real as you think the amp model should sound, or you can chose to craft the tone to get a sound you heard on a record.

In the case of Amplitube, the more input gain you feed it, that determines how hard you hit the amp sim with signal. The clipping indicator is there as a guide and you obviously don't want to be in the red the whole time, but it's perfectly fine to keep hitting red every once in a while.

The way I approach crating tones is, I first load up an amp and cab, and usually have my interface input gain set way lower than anywhere where I would be when hitting the red clipping indicator. As I tweak the tone, I might do an A/B test to see what sounds better, increasing the gain in the amp sim, or leaving it where it is, and increasing the gain knob in the interface to see what sort of tonal characteristics and color that gives me. I never allow the output to clip and almost always use a rack effect to compress or limit at the end of chain, or i go into the mixer and reduce the gain towards to end of the virtual signal chain to prevent output clipping.

YMMV, but what I have found is the preset in Amplitube are just like presents in any other product. They are there as a starting point to get you started and also a learning tool to see how other people craft tones. But I always have to tweak and customize them to what I think sounds good.

With respect.... but i give up. I dont explain it again.
If you are willing to understand what this thread is about, please read it again.

So my best advice in the words of machinated:

machinated wrote:- IK can provide simple but clear information on what input headroom the model expects for accurate gain response. As things stand, its not available, but IMO its essential if the user is to experience an accurate performance from the model.

The best advice I can give is to ask whoever will listen at IK for more information on this topic. It is possible for them to determine and share this, and everyone benefits. No misinformation, no confusion, no guesswork, better tones.

It's IK's choice to give us this information or not.
In the meanwhile you can try my "Ultimate Amplitube 5 Input Gain List" (just google it)
Matthias Mueller

Previous

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling