Input Gain Advice/Question in AT5

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Input Gain Advice/Question in AT5

Postby dirtbag99 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:16 am

I use a presonus USB 96 I think its junk
Never have liked it
dirtbag99

Postby jjguitar » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:37 pm

All I can say is that the INPUT SLIDER Boost (in my case +12.8dB) makes all the difference :!: :!:
I have tested it with some new models (Friedman PT20 & MESA TC) today and I´m really surprised how dynamic it sounds.
Without doubt the most valuable info for Amplitube 5 :!: :!: :!:
A BIG THANX to Matthias Mueller & machinated for this Info :!: :!: :!:
This should be sticky because now Amplitube sounds better than ever :shock:
Gear: Amplitube 5
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Postby ivaliotes44 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:02 pm

Has there been any answer to anyone who has opened a ticket regarding this issue? I would submit one myself, but that seems like it's just making work for IK support, since they've already received the request.
ivaliotes44

Postby Matthias Mueller » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:09 pm

no, we get ignored or at best we get something useless. please submit your ticket, so they see people are interested :)
Matthias Mueller

Postby Matthias Mueller » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:30 pm

[mod redacted - do not advertise other products/properties, thank you]
Matthias Mueller

Postby darkogav » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:10 pm

dirtbag99 wrote:I must be tone Def or just amplistupid max.i been messing with this
Thing for couple years.tryed every thing known to man and I think all I
get is 80% worthless frcking noise.it might sound faintly close but mine
has never sounded as good as others I heard...my dimebag sounds like
dirtbag.dont sound like that guy on you tube....the stoned guy who bought
Ola's it's...not even close.imat a loss.feels like i havent played since I started
messing with this crap..i gotta find something else before I go nuts...i guess I'm not
amplispunk compatable

The guys on YouTube are using extra gear and probably doing some extra mixing to get those sounds. You will be able to get the tones you want form AT5. My suggestion is, first try to look at the presents for Dimebag collection and look at how the presets are setup, and then use that as a guideline for how to make your own presets. Also check the ToneNet site for other presets others have made.
darkogav

Postby rulerofitall » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:40 am

Have a look at the videos Jason Sadites does for Tonex.
Basically sets the input gain on his audio interface at almost 0.
The aim is to get the signal going into the interface as close to the level of plugging a guitar into an amp as possible, once done leave it.
This way your different guitars will react with amplitube, Tonex or anything else in a more natural way.

Made a Hugh difference for capturing my amps and using amplitube/Tonex
rulerofitall

Postby Matthias Mueller » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:21 am

Hi,
thanks for trying to help :)

rulerofitall wrote:Have a look at the videos Jason Sadites does for Tonex.

I know this video and the other ones you can find about this topic ;)

rulerofitall wrote:Basically sets the input gain on his audio interface at almost 0.

Not almost, exactly ... i know he does it different in his video but... yeah...

rulerofitall wrote:The aim is to get the signal going into the interface as close to the level of plugging a guitar into an amp as possible, once done leave it.

The aim is to have a known Headroom and this is different to every Interface.
What jason is doing is not necessarily wrong, i would say its just a little bit a diffrent aproach.

rulerofitall wrote:This way your different guitars will react with amplitube, Tonex or anything else in a more natural way.

Yes, but it still doesn't solve the problem that we dont know any calibration value that amplitube is using. espacially with amplitube it gets very confusing because every amp/pedal model has a different calibration. even models inside of one pack.

please take a look at my other thread "Ultimate amplitube 5 input gain list" :)
Matthias Mueller

Postby darkogav » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:02 pm

The aim is to get the signal going into the interface as close to the level of plugging a guitar into an amp as possible, once done leave it.
This way your different guitars will react with amplitube, Tonex or anything else in a more natural way.

Thanks for post. I will check it out. You mean this one, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mcfxitz3YM
darkogav

Postby rulerofitall » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:59 pm

Matthias Mueller wrote:Hi,
thanks for trying to help :)

I know this video and the other ones you can find about this topic ;)

rulerofitall wrote:Basically sets the input gain on his audio interface at almost 0.

Not almost, exactly ... i know he does it different in his video but... yeah...

rulerofitall wrote:The aim is to get the signal going into the interface as close to the level of plugging a guitar into an amp as possible, once done leave it.

The aim is to have a known Headroom and this is different to every Interface.
What jason is doing is not necessarily wrong, i would say its just a little bit a diffrent aproach.

rulerofitall wrote:This way your different guitars will react with amplitube, Tonex or anything else in a more natural way.

Yes, but it still doesn't solve the problem that we dont know any calibration value that amplitube is using. espacially with amplitube it gets very confusing because every amp/pedal model has a different calibration. even models inside of one pack.

please take a look at my other thread "Ultimate amplitube 5 input gain list" :)

I think we are possibly looking at Tonex/Amplitube from different perepectives.
For me it’s not about using the IK presets or really any other users amp captures ( not disrespecting anyone’s work, I do really like some).
For me it’s about capturing my own gear and having it in a portable format, so being able to get my audio interface and Tonex Capture sending the same signal level to my amp is the most important step.

Totally get your points about there being no standardised starting point for the IK amps models etc and there should be something from IK about this .
It would be great to think that all the IK stuff is made using the same process and methodology , but my suspicion is that they made captures as they developed the system, different staff made them with different equipment etc so a standard baseline may not exist.
rulerofitall

Postby rulerofitall » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:00 pm

darkogav wrote:

Thanks for post. I will check it out. You mean this one, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mcfxitz3YM

No, I was looking at this one,

https://youtu.be/qlY-076dN5I?si=BJxOcgBe8McZj0qv
rulerofitall

Postby Matthias Mueller » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:14 pm

rulerofitall wrote:I think we are possibly looking at Tonex/Amplitube from different perepectives.
For me it’s not about using the IK presets or really any other users amp captures ( not disrespecting anyone’s work, I do really like some).
For me it’s about capturing my own gear and having it in a portable format, so being able to get my audio interface and Tonex Capture sending the same signal level to my amp is the most important step.

yeah, i'm not much into presets too. (at least not from other people/ik)
I dont use tonex very often, i just like the freedom to be able to turn knobs etc. in most cases. rather than have a "fixed" tone capture....

but maybe this video could be also interesting to you (if you don't already know it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKxZkNa2A7o
... i heard there was some fix with the input gain but if i remember correctly that only refered to the tonex pedal and i also dont know if it solved this problem.
Matthias Mueller

Postby rulerofitall » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:29 pm

Matthias Mueller wrote:
rulerofitall wrote:I think we are possibly looking at Tonex/Amplitube from different perepectives.

yeah, i'm not much into presets too. (at least not from other people/ik)
I dont use tonex very often, i just like the freedom to be able to turn knobs etc. in most cases. rather than have a "fixed" tone capture....

but maybe this video could be also interesting to you (if you don't already know it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKxZkNa2A7o
... i heard there was some fix with the input gain but if i remember correctly that only refered to the tonex pedal and i also dont know if it solved this problem.

Yeah I remember watching this along with a few others when I started getting into capturing my amps.
For me the update for input settings on the Pedal did solve the problems.
The JS audio interface thing was , for me, the way that made most sense so I set it like that and then adjusted around it.
I used the IOS app until this weekend, it’s good but limited as you can’t upload your own captures without putting them on ToneNet. Happy to share mine but some are really rough test captures.
I only picked up the Tonex Pedal this weekend and can say that all my captures sound the same in the pedal as on my PC, I did set the input trim to 0 though.
rulerofitall

Postby Matthias Mueller » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:33 am

I made a Youtube Video about this with a explanation how to solve this problem.
(at least its the best solution we have for now, in my opinion...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im82KE-UHTA&t=61s

hope it helps
Matthias Mueller

Postby darkogav » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:50 pm

Thanks for sharing. I will check it it out.

Input gain with guitar sim products is a tricky subject because there are just so many different elements at play (interface, audio driver, sample rate, project setting, guitar, signal path, di, guitar PU output, OS, e.t.c.) and so many different subjective tastes when it comes to what constitutes a good guitar tone.
darkogav

PreviousNext

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling