Locked - previously working gear -after Amplitube update

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Locked - previously working gear -after Amplitube update

Postby audiophil00 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:39 pm

Hello,

Very long time IKM client/user, I own almost every IK products and spent a lot of money in the last years to update, purchase, upgrade. I started with Amplitube 2, then purchased V3, added Fender collection and various collections and FX "A la carte" (Hendrix, SVX, etc), then updated to V4 and later purchased 4 MAX. I finally upgraded to V5 custom shop, which also unlocked all the gear since I already purchased 4 MAX apart some missing artist collections. Finally, I ended up purchasing the last missing collections (Fender 2, Brian May) via the 25th groupe buy. I didn't need them that much, but wanted the full software, and I was a little bit tired of browsing though presets and always ending on an incomplete preset with locked gear. The last purchase fixed this issue.

However, since I updated A5 to 5.3 I noticed once again lots of locked gear that was previously working. I'm not talking about recent added X-gear and Mesa Boogie 2, but gear that was unlocked and suddenly now locked (Miniplex 20, german 34, Custom IR, Inverse Reverb, Filter formant, Saturator X just to name a few). I went to the custom shop (outside ok AmpliTube, and then also inside the plugin) to restore my purchases with no luck. Trying to understand why working gear is now locked. I see these listed in A5 and A5 MAX gear only, but once again, since I updated from 4 MAX and purchased all collections, all this gear was working.

Had a rare day off wishing to play some guitar, ended up troubleshooting software once again.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
audiophil00

Re: Locked - previously working gear -after Amplitube update

Postby huli50 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:29 pm

Unfortunately, because of the path of upgrades you took (specifically AT4 MAX to AT5 CS), this does not permit you the models that only come with the purchase of AT5, AT5 MAX, or a la carte. These would include German34, MiniPlexi20, NYB750, SilverPlate 50, VHand4, Ampless, Varidiode, more than 20 rack effects (including the ones you mentioned), Subway, and Bathroom. All the models you mentioned are in this category. They were all new to AT5.

Custom IR is slightly different. This is not available in AT5 CS, but I think is available even with just the AT5 SE version.

I had AT4 MAX prior to AT5 release as well. I do remember a time when AT5 was just launched, there were a few models that were unlocked in AT5 CS that were not really supposed to be unlocked, namely the amps. After a while, though, those ended up locked, then I just upgraded to AT5. If you had a similar experience, then I think it was just IK locking models that you shouldn't have access to in the first place.

Hope that helps.
huli50

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:59 pm

Correct for the new gear, the VIR™ technology (which really rocks), and more you would need to upgrade to a non-free version of AmpliTube 5 or MAX. For the new features without the new gear, AmpliTube 5 SE will suffice.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby audiophil00 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:35 am

hi huli50, well my understanding is that I have the same problem you had.

I even have various of my own presets I created in the last months, that now have locked gear...

I thought I had a complete software with the 4 MAX + all the collections / upgrades / updates purchased separately, and turns out I don't anymore. Obviously that's frustrating considering all the money spent for this software in the recent months which is much more than the MAX version now. It seems I haven't spent enough yet.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify this.

Have a nice evening,
Phil
audiophil00

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:09 pm

You do have a complete set of software - AmpliTube 4 MAX. If you'd like to move up to the huge upgrade that is AmpliTube 5 yes that is software that is being sold and is a new and different version.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby huli50 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:28 pm

Hi Phil,
I get it. Investing in software is not easy. But I guess I don't find it as frustrating as you do. I paid for AT4 MAX knowing that what I'd get was worth what I paid for it. If IK decides to offer another updated product beyond that, then I make a decision whether I think it's worth that price. If I'm happy with my initial purchase, then I don't have to make any more. But we have to accept that a software company is going to update their software and keep offering new stuff to keep their userbase interested and continually improving their product. Otherwise, they'll become obsolete much more quickly than physical products.

When AT5 came out, with new features, a new engine, new interface, AND new gear, it actually made it easier for me as an AT4 MAX owner to justify the new version more so than if the AT5 upgrade had no new gear. It was like I was buying 4 new amps (and other stuff...I don't count the bass amp because, you know, it's for bass :P ) for the price of an IRL overdrive pedal. So I thought it was worth the price to upgrade despite what I spent in the past.

I would evaluate the gear you don't have and see if you really need it or if you want it just to have all AT models in existence. And see if that justifies the cost to you or not. Try not to look back on what you've already spent as a basis for justifying another product's value. Particularly when a product goes through such a major release (AT4 to AT5), we should expect a lot of new features and gear to be offered beyond any package released under the previous version. Also, IK does a lot of promotional deals, as you already know being a long time customer. Maybe you can wait for one of those to make your next purchase.

I offer this insight not to criticize your thinking, as I can understand how you are justified to feel this way. I just offer another perspective. Hope you got some good playing time in nonetheless.

huli
huli50

Postby audiophil00 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:08 pm

Hi huli and Peter,

I totally understand software companies will update their products. I wish it had been clear day one what was included and what was not. Maybe I didn't read carefully with the tons of informations that were available at the release date.

If the new amps are not included, and need to be purchased, fine. Please make this clear from day one and not by making me using them, creating presets, and then removing them. This is the frustrating part. I’m a loyal customer and never seen this before with any company.

My point being said, I totally understand and agree with the rest.

Thanks
Phil
audiophil00

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling