Best way to boost Strat

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Best way to boost Strat

Postby JonnyLo94 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:58 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best default pedal in AmpliTube 5 to provide a solo boost? I recently started playing a Strat after years of only Les Paul's, and I'm struggling a bit with the lower output of the Strat. My amplitube setup for my LP is great, it's effectively the driven silver jubilee and a driven fender amp for my solo tone, but when I use the same for my Strat it just sounds weak. I also use a tube screamer in there to drive it harder.

Any suggestions for the best pedal or technique to provide some extra power without turning it into a synthetic sounding metal tone using an extra distortion pedal?

Many thanks,

Jonny
JonnyLo94

Re: Best way to boost Strat

Postby dmitch » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:42 pm

It's sort of clunky and counter-intuitive, but my standard "clean gain boost with no change to tone" thing is just to insert an EQ - any one with an output level control will do. Leave the EQ flat and boost the output level as needed. In your case you'd do this as far to the left in the signal chain as possible.
AmpliTube 5.7.0 MAX; 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, macOS 14.1; Logic Pro 10.7.9; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
dmitch

Postby rspst14 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:47 pm

If you have the Slash collection, try the Slash boost on a low setting.
rspst14

Postby twilson74 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:35 pm

I only recently added a Stratocaster to my playing rotation in the past couple of years and it's a totally different beast from my humbucker guitars and even my Tele.

I find that the first thing I do when switching guitars in Amplitube is to change the input level dial on my interface. The input level on my humbucking guitars I usually set to about noon and my strat gets bumped up all the way to three.

Also, I'm a big fan of how easy it is to create custom user presets and organise them however I like-- even multiple folders if I want. So often when I'm creating a preset, I'll tailor it to the particular guitar or type of guitar I'm using. I have presets that were made with my Strat in hand and they are made to suit that guitar-- and often I will use boosts, EQ, output level adjustments in the signal chain to get the level and feel that I want. I have plenty of presets made for my humbucking guitars and some for my Tele, etc.
twilson74

Postby squeezenor » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:44 am

A plain old eq pedal isn't the simplest solution for me, too. Playing with the input or output gain or even the interface levels works just fine, but I always forget that I tweaked those so everything is a little off when I such guitars again. At least I have a clear visual with the eq pedal.

And if the amp's tone changes with the added boost, you can counteract that (or bring it out more) with an eq tweak.

Boost and overdrive pedals are more real life solutions for me, since I can't simply crank amps as much as I want.
squeezenor

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling