How to Set UP X-Gear Pedals as a Digital Pedalboard

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

How to Set UP X-Gear Pedals as a Digital Pedalboard

Postby dabrams2021 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:52 pm

I have purchased all four X-Gear pedals. They sound great individually and as traditional foot pedals on a traditional pedalboard.

I am trying to set them up so that I can use a Voodoo Labs Ground Control and a Switchblade SB-8 to create digital pedalboards. I have all four foot pedals connected with MIDI in/out. Thus far when I make any change such as to the distortion pedal, the next three pedals also change.

I have emailed IK Multimedia tech support four separate times but thus far I have not gotten any response.

What would be the best way to accomplish being able to create settings on each X-Gear Pedal and then save the entire group of settings as a pedalboard?
dabrams2021

Re: How to Set UP X-Gear Pedals as a Digital Pedalboard

Postby dabrams2021 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:29 pm

I have emailed IK Multimedia technical support several times trying to get help. Thus far nobdy has responded. I am positive other people who bought the x-gear foot pedals envisioned being able to use MIDI to set up distinct pedal boards. It would be great if somebody at IK Multimedia would explain how to accomplish this task.
dabrams2021

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:57 pm

Sorry to hear about your support ticket experience, please see these guidelines at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with regard to what to do if you have a ticket or tickets that you feel aren't being handled to your satisfaction.

With regard to MIDI, there is a MIDI Specifications section in the manual for each pedal as well as information in other parts of the manual about MIDI control. For example, if you set the same MIDI channel for each pedal and the MIDI clock set to DIN (MIDI CLOCK is set by the incoming MIDI clock from the MIDI input) then the pedal(s) set to that MIDI channel and connected to the same MIDI input that is setting MIDI CLOCK should all respond to the tempo in that way. Note that this also would change the "TAP" indicator to amber which means it is now a visual indication only and not controlled by the "TAP" button on the pedal.

In this case all are set to the same MIDI channel, and that may be what is causing the changes to affect all of your pedals at once? You may have to change the MIDI channel for each if you'd like the same action on the controller to send different change messages (bank/preset/program/etc) to each pedal.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dabrams2021 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:00 am

Peter,

Thank you for your response. I am using a Switchblade 8F with a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro. The issue is of course setting each X-Drive Pedal to a different channel while still having the Switchblade 8F communicate with each pedal. If you know of a solution for that issue, I would be appreciative.

As far as technical support, I have tried repeatedly to get assistance but to no avail.

I am quite surprised that X-Gear librarian does not work as seamlessly as AmpliTube 5 in being able to digitally move foot pedals onto what amounts to a pedalboard. I can do that within AmpliTube 5 but there is no way that I know of to take the digitally created foot pedalboard within AmpliTube 5 and export it to a foot controller. If there is a system that does that I would love to know about it.

I had assumed the IK Multimedia would come up with an expanded version of Stomp I/O for that purpose.

Thanks,
Doug
dabrams2021

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling