Latency now in Logic Pro X

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Latency now in Logic Pro X

Postby chakk19 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:02 pm

I recently upgraded to Logic Pro X from Garageband. One of the main reasons I made the jump is that I love IKM’s Amplitube 5 Max edition, but I could never get it to work correctly with Garageband. No matter what I tried, it would work for about 10min, I’d hear a “pop”, and then there would be severe latency from me striking the strings to hearing the output. What was weirder is that, if I deleted the track that previously ran Amplitube and loaded a new track using a GB Amp set, the latency was still present. I would basically have to restart the entire software to “reset” it all. Guitar Rig 6 works just fine. All my other 3rd party plug-ins work just fine. Its just Amplitube 5.

Numerous emails and posts to IKM’s forums have been no help; usual response was to set Amplitube 5’s Buffer low (64 or 32); did all that, no help. Many people suggested I should upgrade to Logic Pro, that Amplitube 5 worked great with Logic Pro… For me, this is not the case. I am literally having the same exact issues and it is so frustrating.

Is there ANYONE in this community using Amplitube 5 successfully in Logic Pro X and, if so, can you give me tips on how to get it up and running correctly? Unlike GB, Logic Pro does let me set the buffer size and I have tried 32, 64, and 128; all same results. Happens even when I only have that plug-in running (only track in the project, all other effects and plug-ins disabled) or if there are a few drum tracks and some synths… no difference.

Current Equipment:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3

iRig2 HD input to USB

Most current version of Logic Pro X (10.6?)

Latest version of Amplitube 5 (last updated three days ago)
chakk19

Re: Latency now in Logic Pro X

Postby dmitch » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:08 am

Is there ANYONE in this community using Amplitube 5 successfully in Logic Pro X and, if so, can you give me tips on how to get it up and running correctly? Unlike GB, Logic Pro does let me set the buffer size and I have tried 32, 64, and 128; all same results.

Sure, I use AT5 with Logic Pro X every day, I've never encountered the problems you're describing.

Just as an experiment - I'm not suggesting you need to do this all the time to get it working - what happens if you raise the buffer size to 256 or 512?

I'm on a reasonably modern iMac, 32 GB RAM, macOS 11.6, Logic Pro 10.6.3, AT 5.1.1.
AmpliTube 5.7.0 MAX; 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, macOS 14.1; Logic Pro 10.7.9; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
dmitch

Postby chakk19 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:49 am

dmitch wrote:
Is there ANYONE in this community using Amplitube 5 successfully in Logic Pro X and, if so, can you give me tips on how to get it up and running correctly? Unlike GB, Logic Pro does let me set the buffer size and I have tried 32, 64, and 128; all same results.

Sure, I use AT5 with Logic Pro X every day, I've never encountered the problems you're describing.

Just as an experiment - I'm not suggesting you need to do this all the time to get it working - what happens if you raise the buffer size to 256 or 512?

I'm on a reasonably modern iMac, 32 GB RAM, macOS 11.6, Logic Pro 10.6.3, AT 5.1.1.

I guess I need to understand best buffer settings for Logic Pro and Amp 5 to get best results

What do you set Logic’s Audio Buffer at when using Amp 5 and recording
What do you have Amp 5’s Buffer set to?
chakk19

Postby dmitch » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:15 am

What do you set Logic’s Audio Buffer at when using Amp 5 and recording
What do you have Amp 5’s Buffer set to?

128 when recording if there is not too much other stuff going on. 256 if there is. And 256 or 512 for mixing.

Two notes: I found that since the AT 5.1 release I cannot use amp setups with two speakers with Logic. Two speakers and input tracking saturate the single CPU core devoted to live input.

You might want to experiment with the "hyperthtreading" or "multi threading" Audio settings in Logic Pro. There's some real voodoo there which cannot be "logically" explained. :-)
AmpliTube 5.7.0 MAX; 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, macOS 14.1; Logic Pro 10.7.9; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
dmitch

Postby carlaz » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:27 am

I also use AmplITube 5 in Logic Pro (currently v10.6.3) all the time without issues. I actually have my buffer size set to 64 (which gives me a 9.3 ms round-trip), and it's been fine. Sure, if I have other plugins running, I will tend to switch on Logic's "Low Latency" setting, but as long as there is nothing crazy on the stereo bus, I don't tend to run into trouble. So ... I realize that this is a fairly unhelpful post! Sorry! :?
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling