Amplitube 5.2 some presets have intermittent hiss

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 5.2 some presets have intermittent hiss

Postby AlfSiochi1 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:59 pm

After I upgraded from Amplitube 5.1 to 5.2, some of my presets started having intermittent hiss. It would happen every 5 seconds for a couple of seconds. I was able to track it down to a speaker in a cabinet that was not authorized, and it would appear to be the 3rd and 4th non-existent speakers in the cabinet. In the preset file, which is xml format, there is a model for the speaker listed for the 3rd and 4th speaker.

I found this by making my own version of the preset that was at issue, then did a file comparison of the two.

The solution is to select one of your 4x12 cabinets, then switch back to the offending 2x12 cabinet, which, now has the correct 1st and 2nd speakers (its original values) and values for the 3rd and 4th speaker that, although not actually used in the preset, are now listed in the preset with values for speakers that you actually own.

THIS IS A BUG. The software engineers should only load values from the xml file for which there are actually elements being used in the presets. That way, for a 2x12 cab, it wouldn't care what was listed as the 3rd and 4th speaker in the preset, since it doesn't actually use those speakers.
AlfSiochi1

Re: Amplitube 5.2 some presets have intermittent hiss

Postby Coolruler12 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:40 pm

Wow, what a post I was about to post this as a question. Where are the xml files? Will be interesting to look at this as I find it's a nuisance.

I've had my axe solo bundle 2 days and I am finding issues with Amplitube which I will post about (if you already haven't of course)..
Coolruler12

Postby AlfSiochi1 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:13 pm

Coolruler12 wrote:Wow, what a post I was about to post this as a question. Where are the xml files? Will be interesting to look at this as I find it's a nuisance.

I've had my axe solo bundle 2 days and I am finding issues with Amplitube which I will post about (if you already haven't of course)..

If you look in your IK Multimedia\Amplitube folder, you will find a folder with presets. All the files in there should be your xml files (they are in xml format, so you can open them in a regular text editor or visual studio code if you want to see the xml more easily). They don't end in .xml, the filename ends in something like .a5pt if I remember correctly. When you create your own preset in amplitube 5, you can choose to save it wherever you like; I created a folder within the top level presets folder for my personal presets.

The xml line for the cabs contain model numbers (a long hexadecimal string) for the 4 speakers in the cabinet. All xml lines for cabs have 4 speakers, even if your cabinet actually only has 1 speaker.
AlfSiochi1

Postby AlfSiochi1 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:22 pm

Coolruler12 wrote:Wow, what a post I was about to post this as a question. Where are the xml files? Will be interesting to look at this as I find it's a nuisance.

By the way, I forgot to add, you can get the intermittent hiss for anything that is not authorized. It could be that you want to try an amp model but don't actually own it. My particular issue was that all the presets I tried were for things that I purchased, installed, and authorized. It was working in Amplitube 5.1, but in 5.2, with the feature to try things in 5.2 directly instead of using the custom shop, I imagine they introduced a bug where the hiss would show up based on the contents of the preset file, whether the unauthorized/not purchased gear was actually being used by the preset or not. In my case, the gear was a speaker, though I have no idea which speaker model the number in the xml file corresponds to.

Your issue may be different, and you may want to try to Restore Your Purchases, which is an item in the drop down for your profile in Custom Shop. You should also check that all your gear actually is present in the Custom Shop. Finally, if that doesn't work, you may have to use the IK product manager and unauthorize, then re-authorize. If none of that works, you might be experiencing the same bug I found.
AlfSiochi1

Postby bhertzing » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:41 am

This thread was a recording lifesaver. I was pulling my hair out trying to remedy this hiss and I should have known better.
bhertzing

Postby DarkStar » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 am

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are running into.

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chip in. But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.

Meanwhile, the best thing to do is report your findings to Technical Support, especially if they started with v5.2. Search the FAQs first, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a red button link to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help.

Response time aims to be within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby AlfSiochi1 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 pm

^^^^

I sent the information about what I found by replying to the email from tech support (they responded to my question for this issue but their response was generic and did not resolve my problem). Hopefully they will see what I found to be a bug and get it to their software engineers to fix. It probably only applies to people who have purchased Amplitube 5 or 5 SE and some of the other collections that are part of Amplitube 5 Max. I have Amplitube 5 SE, both fender collections, (which had several of the problem presets), and the orange collection, among others.
AlfSiochi1

Postby DarkStar » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:41 pm

Make sure that you reply back to Support, saying that the problem is not resolved and request further investigation and help.

(This needs to be done as "the system" closes a Support Ticket after Support has replied.)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Coolruler12 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:40 pm

Hissing fixed by editing the cab speakers in the UI for me.
The offending speakers are brit alnico B I think. Just replace them with eg Brit Alnico Green or whatever you have and it should be sorted.

So, no need to edit xmls for me. Also, after you save the preset I noticed it makes a copy so the original is preserved if you prefer the intermittent hiss :).
Coolruler12

Postby AlfSiochi1 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:00 pm

Coolruler12 wrote:Hissing fixed by editing the cab speakers in the UI for me.
The offending speakers are brit alnico B I think. Just replace them with eg Brit Alnico Green or whatever you have and it should be sorted.

So, no need to edit xmls for me. Also, after you save the preset I noticed it makes a copy so the original is preserved if you prefer the intermittent hiss :).

I'm glad that worked. I actually didn't need to edit xmls. That was part of my troubleshooting. In one of the posts in this topic I mentioned selecting a cabinet that you own that has 4 speakers, then selecting back the original cabinet in the preset. When your original cabinet only has two speakers, the "invisible" offending 3rd and 4th speakers need to be replaced. By selecting one of your 4 speaker cabinets, this takes care of replacing the invisible speakers. When you go back to the original cabinet, although it only has 2 speakers, the 3rd and 4th speaker from your other cabinet are invisibly there in the xml file, they just aren't being used by the original 2 speaker cabinet.

You will have to do this on all your presets that have this issue, unfortunately. There is no way to do an automatic, all at once, correction on all your presets, short of writing code.
AlfSiochi1

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:07 pm

Please do a "reinstall" from IK Product Manager. There is a version of the latest AmpliTube 5 that may have caught this type of behavior and fixed it.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby AlfSiochi1 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:18 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Please do a "reinstall" from IK Product Manager. There is a version of the latest AmpliTube 5 that may have caught this type of behavior and fixed it.

I installed version 5.2 on October 9. Have they done a new intermediate release version since then (eg 5.2.1 or something like that?)
AlfSiochi1

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:01 pm

AlfSiochi1 wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:Please do a "reinstall" from IK Product Manager. There is a version of the latest AmpliTube 5 that may have caught this type of behavior and fixed it.

I installed version 5.2 on October 9. Have they done a new intermediate release version since then (eg 5.2.1 or something like that?)

There was a slight update, I believe it is currently 5.2B build. Please do the reinstall and see if it helps.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Coolruler12 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:43 am

I don't see an option to reinstall. Am I missing something?
Coolruler12

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:44 pm

Coolruler12 wrote:

I don't see an option to reinstall. Am I missing something?

Open IK Product Manager and click "Manage My Products". AmpliTube 5 should have three icons to the right. The top one likely says Installed for you, but if you put your mouse pointer over that it will say "Reinstall" so you can click and reinstall that way.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling