Audacity 3.0.0 and Amplitube 5

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Audacity 3.0.0 and Amplitube 5

Postby daveleenc » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:15 am

I have been trying to run Amplitube 5 as a Audacity (3.0) plug-in without success. Is there a fundamental issue with running Amplitube 5 as a plug-in WRT Audacity? Amplitube clearly states supporting DAW's that run 64 bit VST's. Is there an issue with Audacity that does not exist with "more typical DAW's"?

Thanks.

dave
daveleenc

Re: Audacity 3.0.0 and Amplitube 5

Postby garfy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:47 am

Hi dave.

Have you enabled it in Audacity 3? This needs to happen for Audacity to instantiate AT5 (or any other 3rd party plug-in) in a project.

Go to Effect>Add/Remove Plugin and this will list all plugins and types that Audacity can access. Click on AT5 and click Enable. You should now be able to see AT5 in the Effect dropdown list.

If you have done this and can't see AT5 then the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-su ... ck=QUICKSW

If these do not resolve the issue, there is a link to the Technical Support form at the top of the Search FAQs page, for direct help from Official IK Support. They endeavour to reply within 2 working days, but obviously considering the current situation things may take longer than usual.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the issues, but without directly quoting any correspondence from official support.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby daveleenc » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:52 pm

Thanks for the response. It is the enable step that fails with "Effect or command at .... failed to register: Could not load library".

But this answers my question - AT5 should be supported (in some manner) by Amplitube. My next step will be the reset and reinstall (does the order matter?) Audacity.

Thanks again.

dave
daveleenc

Postby garfy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:06 pm

That's pretty strange then. I've tested it today with the most uptodate AT5 and the latest Audacity 3.0.4 on Mac.

Is AT5 the only plugin that has this problem?

daveleenc wrote:My next step will be the reset and reinstall (does the order matter?) Audacity.

I've never had to uninstall Audacity so I can't comment on this, but it would seem to be the best next step (I presume you've rebooted your computer?). Maybe check FAQs on the Audacity site for any pointers
garfy

Postby daveleenc » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:44 pm

garfy, I did the uninstall/reinstall (after deleting the audacity folder in the relevant AppData\roaming folder) and it seems to work.

I am suspicious that the problem was that I installed the original Audacity on my D: drive (standard harddrive) where the new one is now on my C: drive (SSD). Or maybe the update from 3.0.0 to 3.0.4.

I have not had a chance to try this yet, but how does this work? Is it a 'post-processing thing' (like adding reverb from an effect) or does Audacity simply acquire the output of the AT5 simulator during recording? I know - simple question but I am headed out the door right now so cannot try this. I am assuming that it is the latter (Audacity records the output of Amplitube running as a VST).

Thanks for your help.

dave
daveleenc

Postby garfy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:18 pm

I may be wrong, but I don't think Audacity can use plugins to affect live sources. I don't use Audacity often but I've just tried it and it seems to only want to be applied to an already recorded audio track rather than monitoring it during recording.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will come along and confirm or deny this.
garfy

Postby daveleenc » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:23 pm

Garfy, I spent a little bit of time with this today. Basically it would appear that this is only a post-processor (and I could live with that). When you bring up the AT5 plug-in you can build whatever signal chain you want and it is applied to your raw signal.

I have a ton of unknowns like I seem to not have access to the presets that I built in stand-alone mode, nor do I readily see a way to save a pre-set built within the plug-in. OTOH, there are a ton of obscure controls (with inputs like 'Cab 2' that you access in the upper RH button that I completely don't understand. I cannot seem to undo the application of a AT5 change. And so on.

But if this is strictly a post-processor I could live with that in principle. Maybe there is a show stopper in the details.

dave
daveleenc

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling