Automating Amplitube Parameters in Ableton

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Automating Amplitube Parameters in Ableton

Postby Jholla » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:52 pm

Can anyone help me learn how to automate Amplitube parameters in Ableton automation mode?

Usually I can automate anything, but I can't figure out how to automate an Amplitube pedal (for example: wah) in the ableton automation mode.

If I lay down a guitar track, I can't use the wah pedal during recording since it requires munging the pedal with a click and drag, so I'd need a third hand to it. So I want to automate the wah pedal during playback, but the list of parameters available in automation mode just says "paramater 1-16" and none of them has any effect.

Thanks.
Jholla

Re: Automating Amplitube Parameters in Ableton

Postby fjzax » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:09 am

You need to assign what you want to automate to one on those parameters (param 1-16) in Amplitube first (like the "wah" of a wah pedal). One way to do this is by doing the following:

-Right click on the wah of the wah pedal
-Then hover your mouse over "Assign Automation"
-Then hover your mouse over "Wah"
-Then left click on "Param 1" (or any other of the 16 available)

Once that's done, you should be able to select "Param 1" (or which ever one you used) in Ableton, and it will control the wah of your pedal.

Hope that helps.

fj
fjzax

Postby Jholla » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:02 pm

Thanks @fjzax - but when I right-click and hover over the wah, the "assign automation" line is grayed out - it only lets me click on the "assign midi" line. Any idea why the automation line is gray and unclickable for me??
Jholla

Postby fjzax » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:35 pm

Hi Jholla,

The grayed out "assign automation" only happens here at my end when I'm using the stand alone version of AT. It is available to me when I open the vst version in my DAW. I do not use Ableton though so I'm not sure how it would behave in that DAW, but it would surprise me if it were any different from other DAW's.

fj
fjzax

Postby DarkStar » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:56 pm

Automation is only for plug-in parameters, not for the standalone program.

When using the standalone program, you do not have anything to send automation parameter values to AT5. Instead you can use MIDI Control (chapter 5 in the AT5 manual) and use a MIDI controller to send MIDI CC messages to AT5.

I do not know Live either, but it should be possible to automate the parameters. Does AT5 need to be on a special type of Live track?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling