Rack effects or DAW - which is used in reality?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Rack effects or DAW - which is used in reality?

Postby Dark Lane » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:05 pm

Hi All

I'm confused about whether to use rack effects in AT5CS for EQ, compression etc or whether to use the usual plug-ins in my DAW (Tracktion Waveform).

Putting any sound difference to one side for a minute, what would be the typical workflow in a real studio:

1. Guitarist records tracks with stomp boxes, amp and cab and then producer mixes and adds EQ/Comp/Delay in the DAW

or

2. Guitarist records track with stomp boxes, amp, cab and EQ/Comp/Delay rack effects to get the 'perfect' sound they want and then producer mixes with minimal plug-ins, just to avoid any clash with other tracks/instruments.

or

3. A combination of both 1 and 2.

I know I can break the rules but it would help me to follow what would normally happen in the studio first and then I've got a starting point for any further tweaking.

I'm leaning towards option 2 purely because, what would be the point of having rack effects in AT5 if everyone used their DAW plug-ins instead!

If I'm missing something obvious please let me know. As you can tell, I'm a home music producer not a guitarist!

Thanks

Steve
Dark Lane

Re: Rack effects or DAW - which is used in reality?

Postby juic3maN » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:56 am

Or 4. Guitarist records with full rig and a DI so it can be reamped at a later point.
juic3maN

Postby garfy » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:25 pm

Dark Lane wrote:I know I can break the rules

There are no rules, merely guidelines. :)
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby dmitch » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:14 pm

In my studio, it depends on which effects sound better - the ones in the DAW or the ones in AT5. And that depends on your DAW and what plugins you have. Since I switched to Logic (from Pro Tools), I mostly use the effects in Logic. As much as I love AT5 - I use it all the time - its reverb and chorus effects are not even in the same league as the ones that come bundled with Logic. So I practice parts and record them with Logic and its effects active. Same sound/tone when I practice and track as when I mix - plus or minus some tweaks of course.
AmpliTube 5.7.0 MAX; 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, macOS 14.1; Logic Pro 10.7.9; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
dmitch

Postby Dark Lane » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:42 am

[quote="dmitch"]In my studio, it depends on which effects sound better - the ones in the DAW or the ones in AT5. And that depends on your DAW and what plugins you have. Since I switched to Logic (from Pro Tools), I mostly use the effects in Logic. As much as I love AT5 - I use it all the time - its reverb and chorus effects are not even in the same league as the ones that come bundled with Logic. So I practice parts and record them with Logic and its effects active. Same sound/tone when I practice and track as when I mix - plus or minus some tweaks of course.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Interesting to know what happens in the real world.
Dark Lane

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling