Which recording software should I use?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Which recording software should I use?

Postby rogerPadilla69 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:13 am

I'm looking for guitar and bass recording software. When I look online, there is a lot of software and I don't know which one to use. Can you advise me which software to use for great sound?
rogerPadilla69

Re: Which recording software should I use?

Postby 6stringer » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:09 pm

All of the most popular DAWs will sound the same, or so close that you won't be able to tell the difference. It really comes down to features/work-flow that suit you and price/licensing. Cakewalk by Bandlab (formerly SONAR by Cakewalk) has a lot of great features and is free (it's what I use). It's only available on Windows, so if you have a Mac, this won't work.

Studio One, Logic (if you have a Mac), Cubase, and ProTools are all popular and good. ProTools has the most restrictive licensing agreement. Something like Reason is good, but has a strange workflow, IMO.

Reaper is also good, and cheap. It's very flexible.

Jim
6stringer

Postby juic3maN » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:55 am

6stringer wrote:Cakewalk by Bandlab (formerly SONAR by Cakewalk) has a lot of great features and is free (it's what I use)

This is a great place to start.

I use Studio One (I've got the subscription) but Cakewalk is a great way to get your feet wet.
juic3maN

Postby livesforrap » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:15 am

Total dejavu. :roll:

First, if all you do is audio, then any of them are fine. When you start getting into the actual features they become QUITE DIFFERENT.

The most stable all around hosts are Reaper (60 bucks but you can evaluate forever), Studio One (but the free version doesn't allow VST's like AT) Cubase, which is again expensive. Bitwig is too expensive UNLESS, you have one of those "free" versions lying around. Speaking of that, chances are good if not excellent you have a copy of "Live Lite" laying around OR someone can gift you one (I don't have any left or I would have sent you a PM) and they allow lifetime updates and it's great for starting out. The midi actually works, it has some sound sets and you can do up to 8 tracks and two sends all with vst/vst3 and it's a great way to get into it.

Did I mention free? Go to the hellmouth like KVR or whatever gearslutz is called these days (FFS) and see if you can mooch one. It's hella stable. Works like a charm with AT (unlike others)
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby livesforrap » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:10 pm

I hate drive-bys :lol:
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby livesforrap » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:59 pm

What about "one ping only" ? :D
livesforrap

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling