Master Volume / Default Output

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Master Volume / Default Output

Postby supisupi_de » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:54 pm

Hi,
when browsing through the presets while playing, every new loaded presets is immedeatly clipping and way to loud. I need to jump to output and reduce the volume to avoid risking ear damage and hardness of hearing. Is there an option to set the default output volume to another value i.e. -10db?
Because I do not want to edit and safe every preset in advance.
Thank you for any advice
supisupi_de

Re: Master Volume / Default Output

Postby fjzax » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:38 am

Hi,

From the presets I've looked at, the output setting seems to go back to 0db (which is probably how the were saved). And those presets are not clipping with my setup (close to it, but not clipping). The guitar I tested them with have low output pickups though, and the input on my interface is set somewhat on conservative side. Might be worth a look to see how hot you run your interface. It would be a nice feature though if we had the option to lock the master output in AT.

fj
fjzax

Postby noguffay » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:11 pm

No. Master Volume is not part of the preset saves. It will always go to unity 0db, no matter how you had it set up in a preset save. ie it is not part of the presets. In order to change the Master Volume default setting, we would have to find how/where Amplitube saves this parameter. It may not be possible, if it is not an editable param. It may be in compiled code. I am not sure at this point. I to want to change the default Master Volume to a non 0db unity setting.
noguffay

Postby thievedletter » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:50 pm

+1 I find this makes scanning through presets annoying.
thievedletter

Postby livesforrap » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:17 am

It IS annoying. I think it would be pretty easy to update with a "lock" (like many reverbs for example) to keep the master at a fixed level.

This would solve the problem.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby datkings » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:30 am

The Amplitube presets are files that can be viewed and edited with any regular text editor (i.e. Notepad). The output level of each preset is stored in the preset itself. You can find it near the bottom of the file...it looks like this:

<Output Output="1" />

A value of 1 means the master output of Amplitube will = 0 dB
A value of 0.316228 means the master output of Amplitube will = -10 dB

If you manually open a preset file and edit

<Output Output="1" />

to become

<Output Output="0.316228" />

you see that the output of the preset is changed to -10 dB when you load it in Amplitube.

Of course manually editing all your presets is impractical...fortunately Notepad++ has the ability to edit multiple files at once.

To set the output level of all your Amplitube presets to -10 dB
1. Backup all your presets (IMPORTANT!). You can usually find your presets here:
C:\Users\YouName\Documents\IK Multimedia\AmpliTube 5\Presets
2. Download and install Notepad++ (this software is free and open source)
3. In Notepad++ select File --> Open Folder as Workspace and select the folder with your Amplitube presets (i.e. C:\Users\YouName\Documents\IK Multimedia\AmpliTube 5\Presets)
4. A folder tree will be added in Notepad++, right click on the folder tree and select Find In Files...
5. In the "Find what" box enter
<Output Output="(\d+)*(\d.+)?" />
6. In the "Replace with" box enter
<Output Output="0.316228" />
7. Make sure the "Regular expression" radio button at the bottom left of the window is selected.
8. See step 1 above and double check that all your presets are backed up (IMPORTANT!)
9. Press the "Replace in Files" button in the upper right and Notepad++ will search and replace all the output levels in your presets setting them to -10 dB. For me, this process took about 10 seconds to update 3000 presets...

The (\d+)*(\d.+)? string in step 5 above is the magic that allows Notepad++ find any output level in your presets. This took me some trial and error to figure out.

Please back up your presets before you do this...if something goes wrong you can easily get your original files back...
datkings

Postby livesforrap » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:31 pm

Yeah, that is doable. BUT, a simple "lock" on the master would solve this issue w/o the need to go through all those steps.

We can only dream...........
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby noguffay » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:11 pm

livesforrap wrote:Yeah, that is doable. BUT, a simple "lock" on the master would solve this issue w/o the need to go through all those steps.

We can only dream...........

OK, I rose this topic up from the grave on Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:11 pm. (previous last post was by Postby fjzax » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:38 am)

I assumed they were inquiring about the "Main" Master Volume", NOT the master volume that is saved within preset saves. With Amplitube 4 (I don't even use Amplitube 5 and I doubt the guy that originally posted this topic used A5 at the time) there are TWO Master Volumes.
https://www.screencast.com/t/wLdgxPVenNOS

I assumed they were asking about the Main Master Volume outside of presets that "can" be adjusted, BUT NOT saved as adjusted.
My question (if it wasn't the OPs original question, Can we find where Amplitube stores the value for the Main Master Volume in Amplitube 4 (NOT 5)

I'd assume it's probably in the compiled exe and can not be adjusted as a altered default setting.
noguffay

Postby livesforrap » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:16 pm

Maybe it's me that doesn't follow, all I'm saying is that if you could lock the master (bottom right) it would make browsing presets and amps/etc. much better.

If I'm off topic, I'm sorry.
livesforrap

Postby noguffay » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:07 pm

livesforrap wrote:Maybe it's me that doesn't follow, all I'm saying is that if you could lock the master (bottom right) it would make browsing presets and amps/etc. much better.

If I'm off topic, I'm sorry.

I probably shouldn't have quoted you as it really wasn't directed at any one particular person's following reply. It was the fact that everyone seems to be talking about different volumes here. I'm probably also assuming the OP was asking about the Main (as I'm calling it) Master Volume of A4 (This one) https://www.screencast.com/t/haKs6gV3 Also in the lower right corner. The very lower right corner. This Master Volume is not saved with "Custom saved presets"

I assume when you mean Master Volume you mean the one that "IS SAVED'' when you save a custom preset. And must also be being set differently with each factory preset, and is causing large output variant issues for users. I can understand why it would be great to have that master volume locked to what ever a user would want it to be defaulted to. A quick solution to that would be what was suggested, or to "resave all factory preset master volumes to what a user would want them to be and only use those.

I still want to be able to adjust the MAIN Master Volume and have that set to a non factory default setting every time I open A4. Maybe a smart mouse software macro might solve this for me.
noguffay

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling