New hardware unit to rival Helix/Axe FX?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

New hardware unit to rival Helix/Axe FX?

Postby bluehorizon1894 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:36 pm

Wondering if IK ever have plans to develop a floor/rack based unit along the lines of the helix floor/stomp or axe fx? I know there is the stomp IO but I mean a proper contained hardware unit that could take the audio to the next Amplitube level?
bluehorizon1894

Re: New hardware unit to rival Helix/Axe FX?

Postby thomas.brunkard » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:29 pm

I'm a Helix user and I'm currently neck deep in trying to make AmpliTube work as a live solution.

For me, I think that we're entering the age of Bring Your Own DSP. Software will always move faster than life cycle of a pedal or rack unit and these are always a marketing compromise with limitations imposed for cost reasons.

I think using a laptop or Mac M1 mini for stage use is the way forward as it allows us to scale what we need to run versus how much we need to pay for it.

Buying a really decent computer is better value than owning a big hulk of metal that becomes obsolete very quickly and is really just a computer that just does one thing.
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Postby bluehorizon1894 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:07 am

True, I always wondered how a helix/axe fx type device compared to a laptop/desktop or high end tablet even, in terms of processing the signals and delivering audio. I think I was under the impression they were better set up for this specific purpose rather than a the model architecture of a laptop/desktop machine? Is audio better on an 'old' fx8 rather than current modeller software on a new high end laptop? Dunno, I could be wrong, maybe a high end laptop will be just as good or better?

Interesting you have a Helix and are really trying to get Amplitube working for you. Is that because you think a lot more of the sound from Amplitube over the Helix? I tried Helix Native once and it was awful. I was back in Amplitube after about 10 minutes. Possibly because I've spent hours and hours refining what works for me in Amplitube and maybe if I played with helix/bias longer they might be as good, but I figure if I'm happy with the sound in Amplitube, why bother? Haha.
bluehorizon1894

Postby juic3maN » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:51 am

thomas.brunkard wrote:For me, I think that we're entering the age of Bring Your Own DSP.

Agree entirely. I've just bought a Stomp I/O (that I'm HOPING will arrive tomorrow) in order to see how well that'll work as a live solution (with my Surface Pro on a mount on the music stand).
juic3maN

Postby thomas.brunkard » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:54 am

bluehorizon1894 wrote:True, I always wondered how a helix/axe fx type device compared to a laptop/desktop or high end tablet even, in terms of processing the signals and delivering audio. I think I was under the impression they were better set up for this specific purpose rather than a the model architecture of a laptop/desktop machine? Is audio better on an 'old' fx8 rather than current modeller software on a new high end laptop? Dunno, I could be wrong, maybe a high end laptop will be just as good or better?

Interesting you have a Helix and are really trying to get Amplitube working for you. Is that because you think a lot more of the sound from Amplitube over the Helix? I tried Helix Native once and it was awful. I was back in Amplitube after about 10 minutes. Possibly because I've spent hours and hours refining what works for me in Amplitube and maybe if I played with helix/bias longer they might be as good, but I figure if I'm happy with the sound in Amplitube, why bother? Haha.

I play in a Queen tribute band and it's basically a case of AmpliTube is untouchable sonically. I've been packing my YouTube channel with the proof! :P https://www.youtube.com/thomasbrunkard

The processors in the Helix are apparently optimised for this type of thing but I suspect this means more processing power per buck. You can do an awful lot more with the Helix software on Macbook Pro than on the Helix.

Where the Helix wins is its connectivity and the flexibility of it's controllers. If AmpliTube had scenes it would be the match for these.
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Postby bluehorizon1894 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:46 am

Ah yes, I've seen many of your youTube videos! Great job with the Brian May sound.

I posted on the A4 wishlist that A5 should have scenes. I don't understand why they were not included. Changing presets is so clunky compared to staying in the same preset and flipping a few settings.
bluehorizon1894

Postby thomas.brunkard » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:40 am

bluehorizon1894 wrote:Ah yes, I've seen many of your youTube videos! Great job with the Brian May sound.

I posted on the A4 wishlist that A5 should have scenes. I don't understand why they were not included. Changing presets is so clunky compared to staying in the same preset and flipping a few settings.

It would be a massive win. I think some way of utilising the multiple outputs of AXE I/O would also help a lot (i.e. being able to manage mono summing for the onstage monitor). Adding Mainstage to the computer rig adds to potential instability.
thomas.brunkard

Postby thomas.brunkard » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:41 am

juic3maN wrote:
thomas.brunkard wrote:For me, I think that we're entering the age of Bring Your Own DSP.

Agree entirely. I've just bought a Stomp I/O (that I'm HOPING will arrive tomorrow) in order to see how well that'll work as a live solution (with my Surface Pro on a mount on the music stand).

I'd love to hear how you get on with the Surface Pro. I had forgotten that it exists :lol:

That would be a lovely rig. The Stomp is a bit underpowered for me (not enough pedals). I'm using a MeloAudio Midi Commander but I'm soon to be using a Morningstar MC6 so I have some preset names on stage.
thomas.brunkard

Postby juic3maN » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:32 pm

thomas.brunkard wrote:I'd love to hear how you get on with the Surface Pro. I had forgotten that it exists :lol:

I shall report back - the Surface Pro stuff is lovely hardware, and this one has been flawless for years, so I hope it continues to live :-D

That would be a lovely rig. The Stomp is a bit underpowered for me (not enough pedals). I'm using a MeloAudio Midi Commander but I'm soon to be using a Morningstar MC6 so I have some preset names on stage.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I'm really only going to be using it to change presets, control volume and so on, so it doesn't need to do too much.
juic3maN

Postby juic3maN » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:31 am

thomas.brunkard wrote:I'd love to hear how you get on with the Surface Pro. I had forgotten that it exists :lol:

Really badly, so far :-D (Well, it's not the Surface, it's the STOMP IO) Updated the firmware, but can't get drivers without registering the hardware, and you can't register it with the unit number on the bottom of the device, apparently it has some OTHER serial number. Of course.

I installed ASIO4ALL but that doesn't even recognise the STOMP, so that's not much good.

I've started a ticket with support, so we'll see what happens.
juic3maN

Postby thomas.brunkard » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:21 am

juic3maN wrote:

Really badly, so far :-D .

That's a pity. I hope they get that sorted for you.
thomas.brunkard

Postby dkeats16 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:42 pm

I'd like to see this too. I have a Line 6 POD GO but am much more comfortable with the AmpliTube ecosystem and interface. The stomp looks fab but I really don't want to attach an iOS device to use it. #BringTheBoard!
dkeats16

Postby juic3maN » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:13 am

thomas.brunkard wrote:That's a pity. I hope they get that sorted for you.

Support sent me the super-secret link, installed the drivers, works. Happy. Would have saved them a support ticket, and me a bunch of time, if they just had the link available, though.
juic3maN

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:25 am

juic3maN wrote:
thomas.brunkard wrote:That's a pity. I hope they get that sorted for you.

Support sent me the super-secret link, installed the drivers, works. Happy. Would have saved them a support ticket, and me a bunch of time, if they just had the link available, though.

Your drivers and other software are available as soon as you register your device. Sorry if there was an issue with the card in your purchase which prevented the usually smooth registration process. I know that there have been discussions about improving the registration process which included considering the possibility of using existing or additional information on the sticker on your device.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby somebodyelseuk » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:22 am

I've got a Helix, and the Helix Native vst.
The vst has a 'compatibility' setting, whereby it will limit available 'DSP', so that you can write a preset that will be compatible with your Helix Hardware...
Believe me, my laptop and PC far exceed the processing power of the Helix.
Problem with running a laptop/PC as an amp sim, is you just cannot get the background processing parred back to the same degree as a dedicated unit, and having to use external input/output interface can be a problem.
In an ideal world, somebody would make a 'blank Helix' which I could load AT5 CS and then just install the bits I want, rather than having hundreds of amps/fx that I'm not interested in.
somebodyelseuk

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling