IK AXE I/O standalone output to my laptop?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

IK AXE I/O standalone output to my laptop?

Postby gkatzp558 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:26 am

Hi, please assume I know nothing and talk to me like I'm stupid, cause I certainly feel so.

I am trying to set up my IK axe I/O and open AmpliTube 5. I have connected the hardware to my Windows laptop and I can see there is input and output but I hear nothing.

My sound settings are input from line out 1/2 and output from line out 1/2.
The settings for buffer size from the console match the ones inside AmpliTube.

I have no clue what I am missing.
Can anyone help?
gkatzp558

Re: IK AXE I/O standalone output to my laptop?

Postby garfy » Fri May 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Hello gkatz558 and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what difference the sound settings in Windows makes (I don't use it) but ideally you will be using the AXE IO for both input and output and that should be shown in the AT5 preferences.

Plug your headphones or external speakers into the AXE IO and listen to the output of AT5 from there for best performance. If you want to listen to the output via the laptop speakers you will need to choose that as the output in the AT5 preferences, but this may compromise the speed at which your computer can process the output, known as latency. It also probably won't sound that great either.

Let us know how you get on.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby gkatzp558 » Fri May 21, 2021 12:29 pm

Many thanks for your reply,

I will be getting my headphones today probably. Before they arrive though, I was trying to get an idea and see if everything works correctly and all.

At the AT5 settings --> audio, I have the following issue:

1. If I choose ASIO technology, it only lets me match input with output so that they are both AXE IO ASIO.
2. If I choose direct sound, I get a drivers' error.
3. If I choose Windows Audio, then it says "cannot open input device" when trying to get input from line 1 and give output to line 1,
and when I get output from speakers, it says the input and output devices don't share the same sample rate.

I just hope this isn't a problem that I won't be able to solve just by plugging headphones.
Appreciate the help.
gkatzp558

Postby garfy » Fri May 21, 2021 12:38 pm

To use different input to output drivers you will need to install ASIO4ALL, which essentially creates an aggregate device. I'm pretty sure this is the only way to use a different output to input. It may still impose additional latency though, as it is having to communicate with 2 different drivers.

The restriction on I/O is part of the ASIO protocol and not down to individual hardware manufacturers.

gkatzp558 wrote:If I choose ASIO technology, it only lets me match input with output so that they are both AXE IO ASIO.

This will mean that the single device and driver is working as best as it can. Plugging your headphones into the AXEIO will give you the best latency times.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling