Amplitube as DAW

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube as DAW

Postby john256 » Sun May 09, 2021 12:53 am

I've used older versions for practice as a virtual amp, but if mentions it can be used as a DAW. If I want to use in conjunction with Logic Pro or similar what's the best way?

I note when I use Logic directly, I can record my guitar then change pedal/amp models afterwards. Is it possible to do the same with amplitube - record my guitar in Logic then bounce it through amplitube's far superior modelling instead of the more basic options in Logic, to try different sounds?
john256

Re: Amplitube as DAW

Postby DarkStar » Sun May 09, 2021 1:10 pm

The best thing to do would be record your guitar in Logic, with AmpliTube added as an insert effect. That's the best of both worlds.

If you do not have the AT5 plug-ins installed you'll need to rerun the installer.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby john256 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:14 am

I'm a bit new to this - have been using Garageband but planning to upgrade to Logic.
Is an "insert effect" basically saying my DAW can talk to Amplitube like a plugin, instead of running up both applications separately?

I'd love to see any sort of guide or even a screenshot how this might actually work if anyone is doing it for real?
john256

Postby john256 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:39 am

Oh hang on, I found one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SbnJ4w ... sTechVlogs

This is almost exactly how I hoped it worked! The ability to change things post-recording especially.

Looks like I'm set although no doubt I'll have some issues when I get started - need to pay to upgrade from Amplitube 3(!) and also buy Logic.

Is there a list which DAWs are supported in this way, just in case I end up NOT using Logic?
john256

Postby DarkStar » Mon May 10, 2021 12:00 pm

john256 wrote:I'm a bit new to this - have been using Garageband but planning to upgrade to Logic.
Is an "insert effect" basically saying my DAW can talk to Amplitube like a plugin, instead of running up both applications separately?

I'd love to see any sort of guide or even a screenshot how this might actually work if anyone is doing it for real?

Yes, AT5 can be installed as a standalone program AND as a plug-in (in VST2, VST3, AAX and AU formats). So you just load the ST5 plug-in into your DAW, just as you owuld any other plug-in. You do not need to run the AT5 standalone program at all.

And, the AT5 plug-in will run in an 64-bit DAW that supports any of those plug-in formats.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby garfy » Mon May 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Hi john256

This is a pretty good tutorial and everything in it transfers into AT5 (except the visual look, as you already know).

What I would say though is, even though he opened a mono--->mono version of the plugin, if you want to use more than one signal chain in AT5 and have each cab panned into a different place in the stereo field, or even just to take advantage of the stereo room mic in the cab room, you should open the plugin as mono--->stereo.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby john256 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:44 pm

Probably beyond my expertise @garfy but thanks!

One question, I saw another post about bugs with AT5 'automation' which I think was related to Logic... what is that? Can you control AT directly from your DAW or something to avoid jumping back and forth or is it totally different?
john256

Postby garfy » Mon May 10, 2021 2:55 pm

You can automate parameters in AT5 from within Logic. For example, if you want to switch off a delay pedal half-way through a song so the effect switches off automatically (important for when you bounce your project) you can do that.

The current bug that is being worked on, is that you should be able to "record" automation control into LPX by, as in my example, clicking on the delay stomp's footswitch in AT5 and LPX will remember that and automate it on playback or bounce. Unfortunately, AT5 and LPX aren't talking nicely to each other that way at the moment.

The current workaround is having to draw that parameter automation into LPX, which it will then automate on playback. To be fair, this is how I do most of my automation anyway so I don't mind waiting for the fix, but obviously different people use different features.

Hope that makes sense.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby DarkStar » Mon May 10, 2021 3:09 pm

Yes "automation" is the name given to controlling a plug-in from your DAW..

A plug-in can "publish" a list of plug-in parameters to the DAW. In the DAW any of these parameters can then be controlled using an automation envelope (or clip or item, I do not know the actual term in Logic or GarageBand). in this envelope you can draw a set of values which will change the parameter value in the plug-in.

With AT5 (and other plug-ins) there is an additional step. AT5 has many possible parameters that you may wish to control.. So the first thing to do is associate that real parameter with one of the general parameters visible to the DAW.

The automation control path is then:
-- from the automation envelope in the DAW, with a series of parameter values,
-- which change the value of the "published" general parameter,
-- which changes the value of the real parameter.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby twilson74 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:01 am

Usually when I'm just noodling, I'll do it in Amplitube's standalone mode.

Amplitube works great in Logic X-- my DAW of choice. I used to use Garageband when I was starting out, but Logic X is a massive step up in features and the learning curve is easier than it used to be.

The automation is really easy-- but for some reason it took me a long time to figure out where in the automation menu of Logic you could simply automate a bypass/activate a particular plugin altogether rather than do something like panning an effect or automating a filter.

Like the original poster was discussing-- it's great to be able to record a guitar track in your DAW and then go back with a plugin like Amplitube and audition endless guitar tones after the fact-- basically "re-amping" within the DAW. Heck, even just moving a microphone a little if that's all you need. Same goes for recording MIDI parts in SampleTank or Syntronik and then tweaking them afterwards until you get what you're looking for.
twilson74

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling