Too much bass

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Too much bass

Postby Nerv69 » Tue May 04, 2021 6:55 pm

hello people! Why in all amplitube 4,5 i have too much bass in guitar sound? i play via focusrite scarlett solo 3rd gen + cort CR150 guitar, and can't normally play palm mute or clean, because there too much bass and it sounds not hard especially 6,5,4 strings. Maybe pickups too bad<??
Nerv69

Re: Too much bass

Postby jjguitar » Sat May 08, 2021 2:55 pm

The reason is not your guitar or audio interface. Maybe they have made the presets with a single coil guitar, I don´t know.
The best way to achieve a tight sound for palm mutes is to put an overdrive pedal before the amp ( TS with drive at 0 or very low drive setting, tone & level to taste ). I also prefer the SD-1 or OD-1 pedals. The OD-1 from the Satriani collection is great !!!
If you´re still getting too much bass use only a SM57 mic in the cabinet section.
I recommand you to buy some "choptones" Amplitube 5 presets. They have different collections to choose. You can use these presets as a very good starting point to create your own presets.
Keep in mind that YOUR guitar / pickups is big factor in achieving certain sounds.
You have all the components in Amplitube to achieve a good sound and these presets help a lot.
Hope this helps !

Maybe IK can provide more infos about which gear (guitar / pickup / audio interface) was used to ceate a certain preset.
Gear: Amplitube 5
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Postby pabloac » Sat May 08, 2021 11:15 pm

Same here with the Fender collection, inserting a Yibe Screamer type plugin before Amplitube helps though.
pabloac

Postby Nerv69 » Sat May 15, 2021 4:13 am

thx! does buffer size affect the sound of the guitar?
Nerv69

Postby jjguitar » Sat May 15, 2021 10:11 am

Nerv69 wrote:thx! does buffer size affect the sound of the guitar?

I have set the buffer size to 96 with 41000Hz sample rate. This gives a very low latency which FEELS better when playing. So I would say yes.
Gear: Amplitube 5
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Postby Nerv69 » Sun May 16, 2021 10:36 am

It's very strange, when i change buffer size, i hear changes in sound
Nerv69

Postby livesforrap » Mon May 17, 2021 9:12 pm

Actually, for plug ins, that is not strange. MANY plugs sound different at different sample rates. The big problem is for most people, it's just too much strain on the CPU.

As far as the bass is concerned, there is the "filter m" which I can't read even with the GUI at full. But it's a good way to get it to sit if you can read it.

BTW, do you use cans for playing/recording?
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby carlaz » Tue May 18, 2021 2:46 pm

jjguitar wrote:
Nerv69 wrote:thx! does buffer size affect the sound of the guitar?

I have set the buffer size to 96 with 41000Hz sample rate. This gives a very low latency which FEELS better when playing. So I would say yes.

But it wouldn't change the frequency balance of the processed signal (or so I would think). So a user who perceives too much low end in their signal will probably not alter that perception by changing the buffer or sample size.

The frequency balance of one's tone is dependent on a large number of factors: the guitar itself, pickups, strings, amp and amp settings, cab and microphone choices .... This is why people choose different guitar types, pickups, strings, amps and EQ settings, cabs, microphones, etc. and etc. Any AmpliTube preset had to be created by a particular player with a particular guitar (and pickups and strings, etc.), and thus that preset will sound at least subtly -- but perhaps dramatically -- different when used by a different player with a different guitar, etc. A preset created by a player with a single-coil guitar, light strings, in standard tuning is going to sound different when used by a player with humbuckers, heavy strings, tuned to C standard, etc.

In this sense, a preset can only be a starting point. If you think there's too much low end, use any one of a number of techniques to reduce the low end: use a pedal that cuts low-end (and/or bumps mids), change the amp settings, choose a mic and/or cab with less low end, etc. and etc. If you think there is not enough low end, do the opposite: choose settings or gear to boost low end. This is, after all, what recording engineers do.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby rizaiD30 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:21 pm

Same here with the Fender collection

[Mod Edit: suspicions, irrelevant link has been removed; please refrain from posting such links.]
rizaiD30

Postby wtcorder2@hotmail.com » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:15 pm

Hi All - I was really struggling with Amplitube 5 sounding way too bassy, and, just not good. I changed my sample rate from 48 kHz to 44.1 kHz and it seems to have fixed my issues. It really made a world of difference. If it helps, my DAW is Reaper.

Its weird because the Satriani pack seemed to work fine at 48kHz, but all other amps I tried in Amplitube sounded very bad. Change to 44.1kHz helped all the other stuff sound like I think they intended it to.
wtcorder2@hotmail.com

Postby livesforrap » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:33 pm

livesforrap wrote:Actually, for plug ins, that is not strange. MANY plugs sound different at different sample rates. The big problem is for most people, it's just too much strain on the CPU.

As far as the bass is concerned, there is the "filter m" which I can't read even with the GUI at full. But it's a good way to get it to sit if you can read it.

BTW, do you use cans for playing/recording?

And to add, if you are using cans and you have a set that is compatible with "**another correction tool**" then you'll truly be able to get a proper setting. I don 't know if "arc" is compatible with headphones.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling