Amplitube 5 and input gain peak level

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 5 and input gain peak level

Postby Arara1kins » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:57 pm

Hello. I would like to get some advice. I play through an external audio interface and heard such advice that the gain of the interface to the guitar input should be inserted so that the gain peaks at the input to the track in the daw were up to -6 dB. In this regard, I want to clarify, in the amplitube 5 the same rules for calibrating the input gain of the ADC?
Because all the high gain presets sound too soft (regardless of my attack).
Arara1kins

Re: Amplitube 5 and input gain peak level

Postby garfy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Hello Arara1kins and welcome to the forum.

Arara1kins wrote:the gain of the interface to the guitar input should be inserted so that the gain peaks at the input to the track in the daw were up to -6 dB.

This is sensible advice, as long as -6dBFS is the absolute loudest peak. Much closer to 0dBFS and you're getting a bit too close to clipping for comfort. And you must remember to view this on your DAW's meters, before you insert any effects.

Arara1kins wrote:in the amplitube 5 the same rules for calibrating the input gain of the ADC?

Once you've got the gain set on your interface you're all good. The Input level control in the bottom lefthand of the AT5 GUI is software based and will not affect the dry recorded guitar if you turn it up as the A-D conversion has already happened in the audio interface. It is best practice to not let the input level shown in AT5 go into the red, but if you need it to drive your tone and it sounds good to you then I say go for it. Where would be if the Beatles hadn't overdriven the desk input for Revolution 1 on the White Album..

If you realise you don't like it further on down the line you can just back off the Input level in the GUI as your recorded dry guitar will be whatever it was when you set the gain on your interface, something the Beatles wouldn't have been able to do :D

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Arara1kins » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:43 pm

In general, -6 in the input track is this normal calibration for this plugin? Because my audio card has a smart gain option that calibrates the ADC gain by itself, and it gives out about -6 dB. It's just weird that the presets sound too ... cottony and soft, no chugin effect
Arara1kins

Postby garfy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:50 pm

Arara1kins wrote:In general, -6 in the input track is this normal calibration for this plugin?

There is no 'normal' calibration, only the advice to not clip your A-D input by going over 0dBFS. By setting your input gain so you are achieving -6dBFS means you are leaving yourself some headroom on your dry guitar incase you get some inadvertent peaks.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Arara1kins » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:49 am

garfy wrote:
Arara1kins wrote:In general, -6 in the input track is this normal calibration for this plugin?

There is no 'normal' calibration, only the advice to not clip your A-D input by going over 0dBFS. By setting your input gain so you are achieving -6dBFS means you are leaving yourself some headroom on your dry guitar incase you get some inadvertent peaks.

Oh, and she calibrates my maximum peaks at -6. It turns out that I need most of the riffs to go to 0 dB, but only peaks to -6. It's worth trying because I calibrate with the loudest chords.
Arara1kins

Postby Arara1kins » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:54 pm

But still, despite the fact that most of the hi gain presets sound soft and booming, most of them clip at the output. It turns out that the developers simply did not properly set up the basic presets.
Arara1kins

Postby supanorton » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:49 pm

Arara1kins wrote:But still, despite the fact that most of the hi gain presets sound soft and booming, most of them clip at the output. It turns out that the developers simply did not properly set up the basic presets.

The presets are starting points. We all have different guitars, different interfaces, and are different players, all of which affect the signal in and out of AT5. You have to adjust the input/output of many of the presets. This is normal behavior for every guitar plugin I've ever used.
supanorton

Postby Arara1kins » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:20 pm

This is exactly what the ADC and digital input calibration is for. To equate any guitars and amps to one
Arara1kins

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling