Amplitube as VST plugin

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube as VST plugin

Postby GuitarProphet » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:58 pm

Hi,

In the last weeks I've been using Adobe Audition for recording guitars. I record a dry signal and then use Amplitube 5MAX to add effects chain. For this, Amplitube 5 is running as a VST plugin in the effects rack of one of the tracks in Adobe Audition.

Here is the issue. When I use panning in the recorded waveform in Audition, it applies to the dry signal just fine, but when I then turn on the effects rack and start routing the signal through Amplitube the panning disappears. The input meters show the panned signal coming in (I can see left and right signals changing in Amplitube). However, the output signal does not have any panning applied anymore. It always comes out the way the amps are setup. Stereo effects that are in the Amplitube effects chain apply, but eveything pre Amplitube in terms of stereo mixing vanishes. That sort of makes sense as the signal coming from Audition is probably treated like an original initial guitar input signal and you can't pan that left and right either while you're playing. Still it would be nice to be able to use panning without having to apply the guitar effects permanently first (kinda defeats the purpose of VST effects...).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
GuitarProphet

Re: Amplitube as VST plugin

Postby DarkStar » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:29 pm

If I understand correctly, you will need to use the Parallel path chain in AT5:

Check out the AT5 user Manual.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby GuitarProphet » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi and thx for the very swift reply.

This might very well work actually. I did a quick check and if I use the parallel path chain and copy the first effect chain to the second (hence making them identical), it seems to do the trick. I will do some more testing, for instance with stereo recorded tracks in Audition to see if this indeed works in all cases. For future reference I will post my findings here in a few days.
GuitarProphet

Postby garfy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:49 pm

Hello GuitarProphet

Sounds a bit weird that Audition applies the pan before any processing, but I don't use it so can't really comment.

Anyway, if you open the Mixer panel in AT5 you can control the pan of the individual mics, rooms etc separately, or of the sub-mixed guitar sounds as a whole there.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby GuitarProphet » Wed May 19, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi y'all,

Bit late, but here I am. Unfortunately the suggested workaround didn't completely do the trick. In retrospect that was to be expected though. So here we go...

First of all I must note that everything I write below is related to Amplitube in combination with Adobe Audition. So any remarks or conclusions do not relate to the functionality of one of the programs seperately.

As noted, the panning in multitrack sessions of Audition does not carry through Amplitube 5. Although the stereo channel inputs in Amplitube do seem to recognize the panning, everything gets processed as one (mono) track in Amplitube itself. Using the parallel track in Amplitube actually fixes this issue as long as you use two identical tracks. This however is a limited solution as it won't work on mono tracks or tracks using, for instance, a three cab setup. I have contacted Adobe help for support on this, but they did not respond.

So here we are. Partial solution, but still an annoying, but not more than that, problem. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Thx and enjoy the music!
M.
GuitarProphet

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling