Recording AT5's Wah pedals in standalone and/or Logic Pro?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Recording AT5's Wah pedals in standalone and/or Logic Pro?

Postby supanorton » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:06 am

I have searched far and wide and can't find any way to record with Amplitube's wah pedals in Logic Pro X in real time using an expression pedal, midi controller, and an iRig Pro Duo. I've started the support process, but does anyone here record with Amplitube's wahs? I've found older threads here that do everything EXCEPT record the Wah Wah and the guitar part simultaneously in real time.

Is there a way to record a guitar part with a wah using an expression pedal and a midi controller in AT5 standalone? Maybe I can copy the part back into Logic?

I've used my real wah pedal to record cleanish tones, and it has worked pretty well, but for medium gain and above not so much.

I can use the wah in real time in Logic Pro X and in AT5 standalone, but I can't record it. I'll gladly trade my soul for the secret.
supanorton

Re: Recording AT5's Wah pedals in standalone and/or Logic Pr

Postby garfy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:19 am

I've seen the video on the post that you have replied to elsewhere on the forum. It is one of the many ways to automate AT5 but as it's on a MIDI track it won't do what you want it to. I find the following solution a bit more elegant for Logic. It takes longer to read than to implement...

1) Insert A5 into an FX slot on your Audio track (you might already have done this), load the Wah and leave the window open.
2) Open Smart Control for that track. You'll see that the controls are showing as Param numbers being reported by AT5.
3) Right click Wah pedal>Assign Automation>Wah>give it a Param number (e.g. Param 1)

Now if you move knob 1 in the Smart Controls window the wah should move (you should just about be able to see a blue ring around the knob). Now you need to assign an external controller to the knob…

4) Click the Show Inspector in the Smart Controls window (i in circle)
5) Under Automatic Smart Controls click the Learn button next to External Assignment (the ring around Param 1 knob should turn red)
6) Move your expression pedal and it should assign it (and the knob + wah pedal should move)
7) Click learn again to take it out of learn mode.

I haven't got an expression pedal so can't try it directly, but this how I assign a mod wheel to any rocker pedal in AT.

When you want to record, as well as arming the track for audio you'll need to put the automation mode into Latch or Touch and then Read for playback.

Hope that works for you.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby supanorton » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:35 pm

In a search, I found a thread in which you posted these instructions without the automation bit for recording. Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to trying this out later on today.

I have one more question. Actually 2!

When I assigned the smart control to activate the wah, it didn't have the same range of motion as in stand alone. Before I assign the parameter to my expression pedal, I can turn the parameter knob from 0-10, giving a nice range to the wah. After assigning the parameter knob to the wah, the range of the knob in Logic changes from the the full range to a range spanning from about 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock (hope that makes sense).

Do you know how to change the range of the parameter knob? Is that possible? It's definitely more restricted than without the pedal.

Also, is there a way to record the wah in the standalone version of AT5?
supanorton

Postby supanorton » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Of all the suggestions I've gotten, this one worked the best for me. I have to use the wahs in Logic's pedalboard, but they sound great and respond to the full range of my expression pedal. I'm really digging the modern wah for medium to higher gain wah tones.

After you configure the wah as in the video, simply load AT5 in the second audio fx slot of the same track, set automation to "write" and hit record. IT WORKS!!!!!! Recorded wah and guitar on one track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-N17JscusA
supanorton

Postby celinedion » Wed May 03, 2023 10:46 am

Recording with Amplitube's wah pedals in real-time using an expression pedal, midi controller, and an iRig Pro Duo can be a bit tricky, but it is definitely possible. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

1. Open Amplitube 5 standalone and create a new project.

2. Connect your guitar to your iRig Pro Duo, and connect the iRig Pro Duo to your computer.

3. Open the MIDI settings in Amplitube 5 and make sure that your MIDI controller is recognized.

4. Load the wah pedal you want to use onto the virtual pedalboard in Amplitube 5.

5. Click on the MIDI Learn button next to the parameter you want to control with your expression pedal and move the expression pedal to assign it to that parameter.

6. Arm the track for recording in Amplitube 5 and start playing your guitar.

7. Move the expression pedal to activate the wah pedal, and record your guitar part.

8. When you're done recording, export the audio file from Amplitube 5 and import it into Logic Pro X.

9. In Logic Pro X, open the track containing the audio file and insert a wah pedal plugin.

10. Set up the wah pedal plugin to receive MIDI input from your MIDI controllermapquest driving directions.

11. Play the audio file and move the expression pedal to activate the wah pedal in real time.

12. Record the output of the wah pedal plugin onto a new track in Logic Pro X.

That's it! You should now have a track containing your guitar part with the wah pedal recorded in real-time using an expression pedal, midi controller, and an iRig Pro Duo.
celinedion

Postby supanorton » Wed May 03, 2023 11:43 am

Thanks for that. This video has been the most helpful and provided the most elegant solution for me for recording Amplitube's wah pedals in Logic Pro X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vBzXhUaVV4
supanorton

Postby carlaz » Tue May 23, 2023 9:00 pm

supanorton wrote:Thanks for that. This video has been the most helpful and provided the most elegant solution for me for recording Amplitube's wah pedals in Logic Pro X.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vBzXhUaVV4

Yes, that's a great video! I actually downloaded a copy to keep locally, just in case I forget how to do it :lol: but I also just set up my own user patches in Logic Pro to make things easier.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling