No mid control for British Tube Lead 1?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

No mid control for British Tube Lead 1?

Postby rspst14 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:52 pm

Hello,

I had some Amplitube 4 presets that I recently opened and checked in version 5. One of them uses the British Tube Lead 1 amp, which had a mid control in Amplitube 4 but not in Amplitube 5. Is this by design, or was it an oversight that I should report as a bug? I've also noticed that there are no longer selections to change the pre model, EQ model, and amp model individually, like in version 4. Was this feature dropped for Amplitube 5? Thanks.
rspst14

Re: No mid control for British Tube Lead 1?

Postby carlaz » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:15 pm

I knew that AmpliTube 5 was going to deprecate the options to swap around preamp, EQ stack, and power amp in these models -- that was mentioned/confirmed by IKM, I remember, at some point in the lead up to AT5. But I hadn't noticed the missing (?) "mid" knobs. It's absent from the British Tube Lead 2, as well, for what that's worth.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby christopher.moyse » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:09 pm

The Custom Shop Gear Models image shows no Middle knob, but the description does mention it for both BTL1 and BTL2. All of the JCM800 and JCM 900 amps that I can recall seeing in the flesh had mid controls - in fact, the only Marshall that I've seen without a mid control is the Studio 15.
christopher.moyse

Postby rspst14 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:18 pm

I entered a support ticket, I don't think this is intended behavior. I agree, the amps these are supposed to model have always had mid controls.
rspst14

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:00 pm

Neither GUIs in the AmpliTube 5 Custom Shop Gear Manual show a Middle control. So they will likely have the text below about Middle removed as it isn't pertinent to those updated models any more.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby christopher.moyse » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:00 pm

But the other models based on the same amps do have Middle controls - see Brit 8000 and Brit 9000.
christopher.moyse

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:12 am

christopher.moyse wrote:But the other models based on the same amps do have Middle controls - see Brit 8000 and Brit 9000.

They are not the same models, completely different tech (from an earlier version of AmpliTube) and when these legacy models were updated the MID was no longer a part of the model. That is how they were developed. They do sound a lot better with the new coding/engine/power amp interaction/VIR™ tech though.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby christopher.moyse » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:59 am

I'm sure that they are different models, Peter; they sound completely different (which is not a criticism, I'd better add). Since the beginning of commercial amp modelling, there has been a tendency to fetishise "authenticity". Back in the days of the first POD, Line 6 used the physical middle knob for another aspect of EQ in any model where the original amp had no mid control, f'rinstance. I've never felt that any of this matters - it is whether the sound is good and usable that matters, not whether it is operably and audibly indistinguishable from the "real" counterpart. A-B comparisons of equivalent models in competing modellers reveal generic similarities only. I consider this a good thing, because it makes for more choice for the musician.
christopher.moyse

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling