AT5 - Dark and muddy sound...

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

AT5 - Dark and muddy sound...

Postby evidence72 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:34 am

Hello everyone, yesterday I tried AT5 CS to evaluate the purchase of the MAX version but I could not create a decent sound.
I work in home recording, I use a Gibson LP 2009 + Scarlett 2i2 + Mac + Audio Technica ATH-M70X monitor headphones.

The sounds are all dark and muddy.
I can't get the bright sounds like you hear in the various videos on youtube.
Raising the treble of some amps improves the situation a little.
I found only one interesting setting using a Mesa Dual + treble at maximum and SM57 in the center of the cone.
The feeling of mud always remains but let's say that this is acceptable.
With other amps like Marshall, Fender etc. sounds are bad.

Is there anyone who can give me a suggestion to improve the sound?
Do I have only this kind of problem?

Thanks to those who want to help me.
evidence72

Re: AT5 - Dark and muddy sound...

Postby garfy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:14 am

Hello evidence72 and welcome to the forum.

This does not sound like expected behaviour and I haven't seen other posts on the forum with similar issues.

As this is a user-to-user forum and not direct to IKM support, in case no one else chimes in here with advice or a solution the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-su ... ck=QUICKSW

If these do not resolve the issue, there is a link to the Technical Support form at the top of the Search FAQs page, for direct help from Official IK Support. They endeavour to reply within 2 working days, but obviously considering the current situation things may take longer than usual.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the issues, but without directly quoting any correspondence from official support.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby livesforrap » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:11 pm

Just my 2c. Some models in AT can sound darker (like the Diezel) but that is likely also your cans. [mod redacted - please review the forum rules thank you]

However, if you are experiencing this as opposed to others, then I'm at a loss. I find eq is necessary on many models, like for example using the bright switch on the Diezel or pulling the bass back.

Most "youtube" examples have quite a bit of HP'ing on guitar tracks.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby evidence72 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:48 am

Thanks all for the tips.
I did some tests yesterday and saw that only a few amps sound dark.
It's also probably the Gibson that amplifies the bass a lot.
Fixed reducing bass.

It would be interesting if IK introduced a function in the cabinets that allows for the brightest sounds.
[mod redacted - please review the rules, thank you]
Some amps, like the Marshall JCM800, still can't get it to perform as well as I would like.
In my mind the Marshall sound is different. ;)
evidence72

Postby carlaz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:28 pm

Well, some cabs and speakers are brighter (or darker) than others, and the AmpliTube models reflect that. Also, what's "too bright" with some guitars will be "just right" with others; and "too dark" with some guitars will be "just right" with others. If a given cab model and/or speaker model is too dark, pick brighter models. If they are too bright, pick darker models. :mrgreen:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby evidence72 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:17 pm

In reality the problem started from the Gibson, playing with decisive and continuous picking the low frequencies sounded and went into resonance and covered the rest of the sound. Fixed with an EQ. ;)
evidence72

Postby carlaz » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:53 pm

I have an early '90s Gibson LP that sounds pretty dark. Unless I'm going for super-sludge :mrgreen: I tend to dial out a lot of bass on the amp and pick brighter cabs/speakers. I also have a recently acquired Squier Strat (though made in about 2000), SSS configuration. If I run the Strat through the same amp/cab configuration in which the Gibson sounds good, it's like ice picks with the Strat! :lol: Likewise, a rig with which the Strat sounds good makes the Gibson sound like it's being run through a muddy sheep! :lol:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby evidence72 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:04 pm

I know what you're saying, it also happens to me when I play with the James Tyler Variax. 8-)

With the EQ it is much better, even if I don't understand why on Youtube you can hear some very beautiful and perfect sounds.
[mod redacted - unnecessary and untrue]
evidence72

Postby tcarpenter216 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:49 am

I've had this experience, repeatedly, with AT5. This was less of an issue in AT4. From the mids down, the amps lose definition and sound like a muddy, blown out mess. You can EQ the heck out of it but that strangles the amps to have virtually no low end. I have not had the same issue with Bias FX, but IMO Amplitube sounds better. I actually think this is, in reality, an issue of cabinets and mics. It's possible to avoid this sound in AT5, but you have to experiment. Move the mics away, change the angle, get rid of one, etc. A good way to start is to look at presets you like. Surprise! They don't all use default mics and mic positions. Youtube videos about putting mics on cabinet might also help. Good luck! I use a combo if AT5 and Bias in my own work, but I tend to always come back to AT5. For what it's worth, AT4 didn't seem to have this issue, so I suspect it has to do with the volumetric impulse response
tcarpenter216

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:28 pm

I would suggest sticking with the mic positions that "snap" in place to make sure you're not hearing an issue because of odd mic placement. You can select "VIR™ Tech" in the cab section and then click the symbol that looks like a magnet on top of a grid so your movements of the microphone will snap to the grid. This can be very helpful especially if one is not as familiar with miking a speaker cabinet.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby avishaykletter » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:13 pm

Hi,

I have the same issues.
I have tried every combination of mics, amps and whatever but I still can't
get it right. For example, I was really exited to try the mesa collection but because of this
muddy dark sound it is really disappointing (and everyone knows that mesa sound is amazing)
I am really lost- it is impossible that I have to tweak everything to the max just to get
a decent sound...
I use a focuserite and a music man JP6
avishaykletter

Postby lucaspaul1974 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:11 am

SAME PROBLEM HERE.DARK ,MUDDY EVEN THE PRESET,ONLY PREET THAT SOUNDS GOOD IS ROCKMAN BOSTON.EVERYTHING ELSE SOUNDS LIKE MUDDY CRAP
lucaspaul1974

Postby pavel324 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:08 pm

same
pavel324

Postby carlaz » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:33 pm

For those having trouble with the sound, I can only suggest trying to follow along with one of the many YouTube videos showing players using specific set-ups/settings with AmpliTube. Although different guitars will sound different, if you get a radically different tone that the person in the video while using their same settings, then there is quite possibly something wrong with your input (e.g., configuration of your audio interface) or your output (e.g., configuration of speakers, etc.). In that case, if you can't track the problem down, the best thing to do would then probably be to contact Support @ IKM.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby lucaspaul1974 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:01 pm

OKAY THANK YOU FOR THE SUGGESTION
lucaspaul1974

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling