Amplitube 5 playback includes clean sound?!

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 5 playback includes clean sound?!

Postby mrfrisky330 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:57 pm

Hello,

Recording using Logic Pro X :)
Using Bias FX before Amplitube to provide a tube screamer sound, using the default free version of Amplitube using the Brit 8000 Marshall style amp with the master and pre-amp volume at 10.

When recording no issues, but playback includes the clean sound, switching OFF AmpliTube and leaving Bias FX on, the tube screamer sound is only heard on playback as expected.

Switching Amplitube back on, it suddenly includes the clean sound. Also just using Amplitube on its own it includes the clean sound!!

Why does Amplitube 5 do this? How can I only hear the distorted sound? It is ONLY Amplitube 5 that is producing this bizarre scenario, other things like Guitar Rig Pro 6/Biax FX :x work fine.

Any ideas how I can get Amplitube to ONLY playback the distorted amp sound?
mrfrisky330

Re: Amplitube 5 playback includes clean sound?!

Postby garfy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:32 pm

Hello mrfrisky330 and welcome to the forums.

Have you tried AT5CS with a different preset to see if that changes things? I guess that both the amp sims are inserts on the recorded guitar track, not on sends or buses? No other weird routing going on in LP? Howabout if you start a brand new Logic project and only have Bias and AT5CS running and nothing else? Rebooted the Mac?

As this is a user-to-user forum and not direct to IKM support, in case no one else chimes in here with other advice or a solution the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-su ... ck=QUICKSW

If these do not resolve the issue, there is a link to the Technical Support form at the top of the Search FAQs page, for direct help from Official IK Support. They endeavour to reply within 2 working days, but obviously considering the current situation things may take longer than usual.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the issues, but without directly quoting any correspondence from official support.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby livesforrap » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:55 am

By any chance do you have the DI being used? Doesn't sound like it's the culprit but thought it was worth mentioning.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby mrfrisky330 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:12 pm

Alas no, it is really odd.

Current audio path is:

Compressor. - bus1
Bias Fx, Amplitube 5 - bus2

Switching Amplitube off gives Bias Fx distorted tone, switching Amplitube on gives distorted and clean, is it simply that unlike other plugins Amplitube can't be used in a bus?
mrfrisky330

Postby garfy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:56 pm

AT5 can run on a bus, but how it works will depend on how it is being fed audio, whether you've opened it as a mono, stereo or dual mono plugin in LP, as well as its own internal routing.

mrfrisky330 wrote:Current audio path is:

Compressor. - bus1
Bias Fx, Amplitube 5 - bus2

It would be helpful if you could post some images of your Logic mixer showing the channels and bus routing you're talking about. This looks like you're trying some sort of parallel processing, but I'd only be guessing with this information. Here's a post showing you how to post images.
garfy

Postby mrfrisky330 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:16 pm

Nope all standard serial.

Have fixed the issue moved Amplitube 5 out of the bus instantly ok. Obviously this isn't acceptable as now it means using more CPU resources, might go back and use Guitar Pro 6 instead as that doesn't suffer from this issue, and yes I did try Guitar Pro 6 in the bus on the track and no clean guitar sound was present, so its an Amplitube 5 issue.

Shame as Amplitube does sound better but I can't have something that doesn't work is busses in Logic Pro X :(
mrfrisky330

Postby garfy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:30 pm

I've tried to replicate your problem, but without knowing your exact routing or system specs it obviously may not be the same.

However, using AT5 on a stereo aux bus I can send live and recorded guitar signal through it, both as a serial out from channel/input to aux bus or as an aux send from the guitar channel without hearing any clean signal.

As this is a user-to-user forum and not direct to IKM support, in case no one else chimes in here with advice or a solution the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-su ... ck=QUICKSW

If these do not resolve the issue, there is a link to the Technical Support form at the top of the Search FAQs page, for direct help from Official IK Support. They endeavour to reply within 2 working days, but obviously considering the current situation things may take longer than usual.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the issues, but without directly quoting any correspondence from official support.
garfy

Postby mrfrisky330 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:01 pm

Had a look in the FAQ has nothing about bus or busses in it, nothing mentions it acting completely differently when used in a bus opposed to not being in a bus. Or why IK thought that was a smart thing to do making the stereo output for the plugin when used in a bus plugin plus clean sound - who asked for that?

As a first user would have been better to have that facility as part of mixer which is purchased, and have a slider for volume of the unrolled signal. Plus some decent documentation stating this characteristic of the plugin, maybe even some demo videos of the different way it acts direct and in a bus would be nice.

Having used a lot, Bias Amp/FX, Guitar Rig Pro/Peavey Revalver non of these have this issue, does stain the new users experience, in the end I did get it to work like the competition in a bus by using "dual mono" output...

Again nothing in the documentation mentions that, pity its a fantastic sounding plugin marred by poor documentation.

Thanks for your support :)
mrfrisky330

Postby garfy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm sorry mrfrisky330 that you are still having this problem.

I'm not surprised that you didn't find anything in the FAQs, documentation, videos etc about this happening. That's because it's not supposed to be happening as you describe.

AT5 doesn't act differently on a bus to how it acts as an insert on a channel. Except perhaps if you have some left-field routing going on. If, as you say, there is nothing out of the ordinary about your signal flow, then something else is happening with your installation. No one else has described this problem (at least not on this forum) and, as I said in my previous post, I can't replicate the problem using a bus.

mrfrisky330 wrote:would have been better to have that facility as part of mixer

This is a facility, tapping into the DI signal and mixing it back in with the post-effected signal. User @livesforrap mentioned it in his earlier post but as you said that you weren't using the DI signal that line of questions didn't go any further.

mrfrisky330 wrote:Having used a lot, Bias Amp/FX, Guitar Rig Pro/Peavey Revalver non of these have this issue,

And neither does AT5. Your experience/installation apparently does. The best way to solve this is to follow the link I gave before and open a ticket with Official Support who will give you one-to-one assistance with your setup.
garfy

Postby DarkStar » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:52 pm

I may be confused, but I cannot imagine AT5 performing like that, either.

From the original post I understood that AT5 was placed after Bias FX, on a bus (I have never used Logic so I may get the terminology wrong ;)). If so, then the only place that AT5 gets its audio is from Bias FX. So I cannot see how AT5 gets any clean audio.

Perhaps you can upload, to somewhere safe, a small Logic project that shows the problem so that other Logic / AT5 users can have a look and see what's going on. Maybe put a stock Logix FX on the bus rather than Bias FX.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby bruckner2 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:08 pm

I haven't tested this yet but your question gave me an idea of how to solve this in Cakewalk Sonar X3.
I have been using a stereo out from my interface to the track where Amplitube is in the FX bin.
I always hear a bit of clean DI signal that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of.
However,I just realized I can choose to Input just the left signal of my interface into the track so that Amplitube and the track only have a mono input to deal with.

Short version :) maybe Amplitube does not sum a stereo input into mono in the track FX bin?
which leaves the right input passing thru to the output bus of the track?
bruckner2

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling