Computer advice for a music recording beginner

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Computer advice for a music recording beginner

Postby harrycallum » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:00 am

I haven't owned a desktop computer in nearly 10 years, and haven't had a laptop for about 5. I've been demoing things with my iPhone for years now but I feel like I'm finally ready to begin learning to record myself. I'm behind on the technology and am not sure of some things... Like if I will need an ssd or quad core processors and things like that. I want to buy a desktop on Black Friday and have done a bunch of research, but I still don't know if I should go mac or pc (money is an issue as I have to buy the software and hardware involved with recording still). My main question is, is there a pc desktop that is better for music production than the iMac all in ones?
harrycallum

Re: Computer advice for a music recording beginner

Postby livesforrap » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Black Friday? You are waiting until after Thanksgiving?

As far as desktops go, you'll want to build one. Not too hard, usually tons of youtube content on how to. You'll need a good audio interface, good internet connection, SSD (you mentioned) is STRONGLY recommended (it's fantastic) I like Intel, a couple of chaps had issues that had Ryzen but I don't know if that was the problem.

And you'll be demoing hosts forever :lol: so many, SO many. Most of them are really good, just different.

You'll want a keyboard controller so you'll want as many USB ports as you can get (but chances are you'll need hubs. )

This is in the amplitube thread, are you going to record guitars/bass?
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby Sonalford3 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:27 am

harrycallum wrote:I haven't owned a desktop computer in nearly 10 years, and haven't had a laptop for about 5. I've been demoing things with my iPhone for years now but I feel like I'm finally ready to begin learning to record myself. I'm behind on the technology and am not sure of some things... Like if I will need an ssd or quad core processors and things like that. I want to buy a desktop on Black Friday and have done a bunch of research, but I still don't know if I should go mac or pc (money is an issue as I have to buy the software and hardware involved with recording still). My main question is, is there a pc desktop that is better for music production than the iMac all in ones?

MacBooks are fast and reliable, but there are equally capable Windows laptops, especially at more reasonable prices. This choice depends mainly on two factors: your budget and the software you want to use. Please note that professional recording studios tend to use Macs, so if you are planning to work with professional studios to do some recordings in a large room or hire a professional to mix or edit your recording device, a Mac may be a safer choice, although audio files from a Windows-based computer can be transferred through Mac's operating system and vice versa.
Sonalford3

Postby e.holland » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:42 am

Image-Line provides excellent advice here:

https://support.image-line.com/action/knowledgebase?ans=214

Although they refer to their own DAW (FL Studio) it equally applies to other music creation software.
e.holland

Postby vac713 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:47 pm

get yourself a mac mini used for a few hundred bucks... 8 G RAM 256 G HD or more. Works like a champ with Amplitube
vac713

Postby Cubasis1 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:06 pm

The 2020 Mac mini with the M1 processor is incredibly powerful and inexpensive for what it's capable of. It can handle so many tracks, with virtual instruments and FX plugins. I've stopped having issues with the CPU getting overloaded and having to freeze tracks ever since I got one.
Mac Mini M1 chip, macOS Big Sur / Cubase 11 Pro / SSL 2+ Audio Interface
T-RackS 5 Deluxe, AmpliTube 5, MixBox, Sampletank 4, Syntronik Deluxe,
SampleTron 2, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, Hammond B-3X, MODO DRUM, MODO BASS
Cubasis1

Postby e.holland » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:19 pm

This is all falling on deaf ears for the OP. He hasn't logged on since January 23rd 2021!

Everyone's right about the M1 Mac Mini FWIW.
e.holland

Postby Cubasis1 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:23 pm

:lol: Thanks for pointing that out - I hadn't checked when the first post was made. Long time to wait till Black Friday from January 21st! :)
Mac Mini M1 chip, macOS Big Sur / Cubase 11 Pro / SSL 2+ Audio Interface
T-RackS 5 Deluxe, AmpliTube 5, MixBox, Sampletank 4, Syntronik Deluxe,
SampleTron 2, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, Hammond B-3X, MODO DRUM, MODO BASS
Cubasis1

Postby BigBoyBeats56 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:11 am

I’ll turn 65 this month and I’ve been using Macintosh/Apple computers since they first came out. Too bad I didn’t buy stock in Apple!

I have no idea what the resources are for window space technology. All I can say is it everybody in the music business and I’ve worked with Use This Apple computers.

For 20 years I thought of the well-known music school and the entire organization uses Apple computers, even the administrators and the staff use Apple computers.

My suggestion to the gentleman who posted this question back in January is that he should call Apple and talk to somebody at the company who knows about logic software or at the very least garage band.

Since the upgrade of garage band over the past 18 months or so it’s become a respectable tool especially for beginners! And this is important, Apple has formulated GarageBand so that everything you do a GarageBand can be opened up in logic if you decided by logic .

But here’s the bottom line. Don’t be like me. Even though I used Apple from Wayback in the day I spent at least a dozen years wondering should I do this or should I do that and all I did was waste time. Plunge in and pull the trigger. By the biggest baddest most robust Apple computer that you can stand . You’re buying a tool and if you were a Carpenter you wouldn’t buy a **** hammer from Harbor freight, would you? No, I would think that you would want to buy the best hammer that you could afford and if you needed to go into debt so what? We work because we need to work, and we write music and perform music because we have to piss in our souls. So get the best gear that you possibly can afford and go from there.

Cheers to everybody and happy Thanksgiving!

Big Boy
BigBoyBeats56

Postby carlaz » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:52 pm

I tend to agree with Big Boy: I haven't used Macs since the first one came out, but I have used them for over 30 years at home. (I've also used Windows computers for work, and ... nothing about that convinced me to start using them at home! :lol: ) I likewise recommend getting the biggest, baddest computer that you can, and running it for as long as you can. I very consciously and deliberately got a new Intel iMac last year, figuring it would last me while the whole M1 etc. transition saga played out; however, if I was buying now .... I'd either get an M1 or whatever Mac Mini, or hold out for an M1 iMac. I'm not really a road warrior, so laptops don't do much for me (though I'm sure they're fine, if that's what you like). I do think that big screen's are a plus for music production (and, actually, pretty much everything else!), so if I got a laptop or a Mac Mini, I would also invest in a whacking big screen to hang off it. :mrgreen:

That said, if you are comfortable with the ins and outs of Windows computers, then just get the biggest, baddest one of those that you can. I think being comfortable and familiar with your tools is probably at least as important than most other things.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby kolpop909 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:19 pm

Thanks sir for kindness..Cheers sir..!
kolpop909

Postby eleven88 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:34 pm

carlaz wrote:I tend to agree with Big Boy: I haven't used Macs since the first one came out, but I have used them for over 30 years at home. (I've also used Windows computers for work, and ... nothing about that convinced me to start using them at home! :lol: ) I likewise recommend getting the biggest, baddest computer that you can, and running it for as long as you can. I very consciously and deliberately got a new Intel iMac last year, figuring it would last me while the whole M1 etc. transition saga played out; however, if I was buying now .... I'd either get an M1 or whatever Mac Mini, or hold out for an M1 iMac. I'm not really a road warrior, so laptops don't do much for me (though I'm sure they're fine, if that's what you like). I do think that big screen's are a plus for music production (and, actually, pretty much everything else!), so if I got a laptop or a Mac Mini, I would also invest in a whacking big screen to hang off it. :mrgreen:
That said, if you are comfortable with the ins and outs of Windows computers, then just get the biggest, baddest one of those that you can. I think being comfortable and familiar with your tools is probably at least as important than most other things.

Thank you so much... for this useful info keep share with us.
eleven88

Postby RogerEye1253 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:27 pm

Cubasis1 wrote::lol: Thanks for pointing that out - I hadn't checked when the first post was made. Long time to wait till Black Friday from January 21st! :)

Same here lol, I am also waiting for it. Also, the advice was applicable still today.
RogerEye1253

Postby Factom123 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:22 am

Just ordered the new mac studio maxed out. Now I am reading all these forums just to justify my purchase l :lol:
Factom123

Postby Factom123 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:39 am

Would like an update on this. Have your purchased the computer or did you go with mac ?
Factom123

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling