Dell Insperon Noise and Latency

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Dell Insperon Noise and Latency

Postby chboswell » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 pm

Hello all -- I need help.

I downloaded A5 last part of December. I start the app in standalone mode. I use Direct Sound or WIndows Audio, and ASIO (changing all options on input and output in the settings) and get the same results.

First: Massive white noise in the right channel of my headphones regardless of the out-channel
Second: Latency.

I can almost get by just listening to the left channel with the decreased white noise if I could fix the latency issue. I've adjusted the sample rate, 256 is the lowest I can go without it totally breaking it up.

I've killed all unnecessary applications. I've run A5 as administrator. I'm really at a loss. This computer I have is 6-months old. I have A5 SE.

Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. Do I need to open a ticket?
Thanks!
CB
chboswell

Re: Dell Insperon Noise and Latency

Postby garfy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:17 pm

Hello chboswell and welcome to the forum.

chboswell wrote:I use Direct Sound or WIndows Audio, and ASIO (changing all options on input and output in the settings) and get the same results

What audio interface are you using and are you using the same AI for both input and output. ASIO is generally the best, low latency driver and recommended to use the AI manufacturer's driver if they have one.

chboswell wrote:Massive white noise in the right channel of my headphones regardless of the out-channel

That's pretty weird, but possibly connected to the driver. Also, make sure you've authorised your version of AT5SE. However, this maybe something you need to open a ticket for.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby chboswell » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:09 pm

Garly,

Thanks for the reply. I double checked, and I do have the app installed and authorized based on the product manager. You mention the AI (assume Audio Interface) for in and out, and yes I make them the same or not, really makes no difference in the behavior/output -- I assume you mean set this in the A5-setting menu. When you write "the AI manufacturer's driver" -- sorry to be dumb about this, but which manufacturer are you suggesting? Not sure where to look for this.

I'm not too much of a tech-head, so I do appreciate your help!

CB.
chboswell

Postby garfy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:15 pm

chboswell wrote:You mention the AI (assume Audio Interface

chboswell wrote:but which manufacturer are you suggesting?

Yes, the audio interface. Focusrite, Presonus, IK, Mackie, Behringer? What are you plugging your guitar into and what are you connecting your speakers/headphones to?
garfy

Postby chboswell » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:21 pm

garfy wrote:
chboswell wrote:You mention the AI (assume Audio Interface

chboswell wrote:but which manufacturer are you suggesting?

Yes, the audio interface. Focusrite, Presonus, IK, Mackie, Behringer? What are you plugging your guitar into and what are you connecting your speakers/headphones to?

Ah ... I have a cheap USB interface, a Barringer ucontrol. But, it doesn't matter. I can just talk into my built in mic on the PC, or my mic/headset with the same behavior/result. So if I set my input to USB or mic, no difference in the outcome -- with or without the USB AI hooked up.
chboswell

Postby garfy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:32 pm

Is that the UCA 202?

It looks like it doesn't have its own drivers so Behringer's driver page has the download for ASIO4ALL. Is that the ASIO driver you have installed?

If so, make sure this driver is showing as Input and Output in the AT5 Audio MIDI settings. It is the best driver out of the 3 you have got. I'm not a user of ASIO4ALL so I don't know if there are additional settings in the control panel for that which could be adjusted. A Windows user will hopefully chime in with some tips.

As for the noise in the right channel, how are you connecting your guitar to the interface? I notice that the I/O are on RCA connectors. Is the noise continuous or intermittent?
garfy

Postby chboswell » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:10 pm

garfy wrote:Is that the UCA 202?

It looks like it doesn't have its own drivers so Behringer's driver page has the download for ASIO4ALL. Is that the ASIO driver you have installed?

Yes ... but again, the behavior is the same for all choices. And it's the same if I use the built in mic on the PC regardless if the Behringer USB AI is plugged in or not.

If so, make sure this driver is showing as Input and Output in the AT5 Audio MIDI settings. It is the best driver out of the 3 you have got. I'm not a user of ASIO4ALL so I don't know if there are additional settings in the control panel for that which could be adjusted. A Windows user will hopefully chime in with some tips.

Yes please! I do need help.

As for the noise in the right channel, how are you connecting your guitar to the interface? I notice that the I/O are on RCA connectors. Is the noise continuous or intermittent?

That is correct, 1/4" to left/right RCA jacks. But again, I get the exact same behavior without the AI when using the built in mic on the PC. Could he be an incomplete install perhaps?
chboswell

Postby chboswell » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:09 pm

Ok, this is a "duh!" post. After playing with this thing for quite a long time with ASIO4ALL driver, I noticed that I could only set the output to USB channels. It seems words actually mean things. I have been plugging my headphones into the PC thinking this is where my output would/should be. But alas, and probably obvious to all who've read this thread, I needed to plug my headphones onto the Output on the AI, NOT the PC.

Unfortunately I don't have another RCA pigtail to listen and play at the same time, but was able to prove the audible output by recording a track with the guitar, then switching the pigtail to the output on the AI and amazing enough, there was my track in all its glory.

As to latency, I cannot tell if there is latency anymore from an audio perspective until I get this new pigtail because I cannot listen and play at the same time, but looking at the meter, the attack looks instantaneous and without delay.

Thanks for your help. Maybe we need a remedial thread for those of us not quite up on the technology. ;) Thanks again.
chboswell

Postby livesforrap » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:19 pm

You can get a good interface cheap that has proper ins and a headphone jack. And the latency will be better.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby garfy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:25 pm

chboswell wrote:I don't have another RCA pigtail to listen and play at the same time

If your AI is the UCA 202 it has a headphone output on it already.
garfy

Postby chboswell » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:28 pm

garfy wrote:
chboswell wrote:I don't have another RCA pigtail to listen and play at the same time

If your AI is the UCA 202 it has a headphone output on it already.

Yep, works great for sound now! Thank you.

But now, all of a sudden, I have none of my equipment and effects available, they're all locked, and only the default amp comes up. Now I need to read some other threads to see how to resolve this one. Ugh....
chboswell

Postby livesforrap » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:32 pm

Glad it works, but now you need to open the custom shop and in a drop down at the top do "restore my gear" and then you should be good to go.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby chboswell » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:44 pm

livesforrap wrote:Glad it works, but now you need to open the custom shop and in a drop down at the top do "restore my gear" and then you should be good to go.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I click on Custom Shop, log in, click on restore my purchases ... get a small green window with an upside down exclamation point saying purchases restored correctly. But no unlocked gear. I closed AT, restarted it, still locked. I've done this several times. There must be something I'm missing ... any help is appreciated.
chboswell

Postby livesforrap » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:50 pm

It's just a shot in the dark but if you go up to the top of AT5 and list just the stuff you own, is there something that is unlocked that is yours?
livesforrap

Postby chboswell » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:51 pm

chboswell wrote:
livesforrap wrote:Glad it works, but now you need to open the custom shop and in a drop down at the top do "restore my gear" and then you should be good to go.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I click on Custom Shop, log in, click on restore my purchases ... get a small green window with an upside down exclamation point saying purchases restored correctly. But no unlocked gear. I closed AT, restarted it, still locked. I've done this several times. There must be something I'm missing ... any help is appreciated.

Ok, next to search gear there's an icon without any explanation, I clicked it -- and like magic, everything became unlocked! I'm sure there's a use for this icon, but WTH?
chboswell

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling