FX: stereo vs.mono

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

FX: stereo vs.mono

Postby dmitch » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:01 am

Is there any info (documentation, previous threads, etc.) which discusses the issue of stereo vs. mono for stomps and rack FX? For example:

-- Most rack FX units appear to be stereo. True?
-- All stomp boxes appear to be mono. True?
-- What happens when you put a stereo rack effect in a mono signal path (i.e. a stomp board)? Does the mono input go to both stereo inputs of the effect, and are the stereo effect outputs summed?
-- What happens when you put a mono effect in a stereo signal path (e.g. a stomp on a stereo output bus)? Do you get essentially two copies of the effect, one for each channel? Or do you lose your stereo separation by combining both channels into one input for a single effect?

Thanks.
AmpliTube 5.7.0 MAX; 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, macOS 14.1; Logic Pro 10.7.9; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
dmitch

Re: FX: stereo vs.mono

Postby garfy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:29 pm

Hi dmitch

I can't see anything that goes into any depth in the manual but I've done a few experiments.

dmitch wrote:-- Most rack FX units appear to be stereo. True?

I find this to be true as far as I've gone.

dmitch wrote:What happens when you put a stereo rack effect in a mono signal path (i.e. a stomp board)? Does the mono input go to both stereo inputs of the effect, and are the stereo effect outputs summed?

This depends on where you put it and what happens afterwards. For example, the Autopan rack effect is the easiest to track what's going on, coz it's got lights on it :D

On a mono input to a single amp/cab the panning has no L/R effect, which is as theory dictates.
When you have a 2 amp/cab set up, if you put it before the split then it stays mono, again as per the theory and your conclusion of summing.
If you have a 2 amp/cab set up, put the Autopanner AFTER the split before the amps AND pan the cabs to the L/R then you get the stereo pan. So, the rack effects change dependent on where they are in the signal flow.

dmitch wrote:What happens when you put a mono effect in a stereo signal path (e.g. a stomp on a stereo output bus)? Do you get essentially two copies of the effect, one for each channel? Or do you lose your stereo separation by combining both channels into one input for a single effect?

Using the set up above with the stereo, auto panned amp/cabs, if I inserted a compressor stomp into the stereo master output, the autopan carried on doing its left to right thing and was compressed by the pedal. So, again, the stomps change dependent on where they are in the signal flow.

Whether this carries for all stomps and racks is a nice little project for someone else to find out. In conclusion...

dmitch wrote:Most rack FX units appear to be stereo. True?

...it depends. :lol:

Hope that helps in some way.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Re: FX: stereo vs.mono

Postby dmitch » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 am

garfy wrote:I can't see anything that goes into any depth in the manual but I've done a few experiments.

Excellent info. Thanks!
AmpliTube 5.7.0 MAX; 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, macOS 14.1; Logic Pro 10.7.9; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
dmitch

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling