AT5 CS Questions. ASIO. VST Libaries. Tier limitations etc

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

AT5 CS Questions. ASIO. VST Libaries. Tier limitations etc

Postby Aquila Rossa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:10 am

Hi.

Just trying out AT5 CS and I am liking the tones, but I am having some issues with it.

Firstly, it drops the sample rate of my Audient iD14 interface back down to 24/44, which is causing all other audio in Windows to stop working. I have my audio set for 24/96. When AT5 CS is open my ASIO control panel can not set the rate back to 24/96. It is stuck at 44k. Is this low bit rate a limitation of the CS version, or is it a bug? I opened a support ticket a couple of days ago and am waiting to hear back.

Next is what the CS does to my VST libraries. It turns them into a complete mess. 100s of IK VSTs I do not own appear in my Reaper FX browser, which makes finding the ones I do own harder to find, plus I am still not sure which IK ones come with CS. This is enough to make me want to uninstall the program. I hope a better way is found, e.g., do not keep the demo VSTs in a local drive, or find a way to prevent VST scans seeing them, e.g., compress them as zips or something.

Finally there is the limitations problem. Only two racks can be used after the cab with CS it seems. There is no option to use the mixer or IR loader either, which I did expect, but I am wondering about the upgrade path. If I buy extra stuff for CS, will those limitations still exist? If so, I think that defeats the ala carte pick and mix approach. Correct? I was thinking I would be able to install CS and buy what I need without any restrictions on function. For example, if I buy a T-Rack, will it enable the mixer in CS? I guess not. It seems I have to buy the fully fledged AT5 platform to get all the functions huh?
Aquila Rossa

Re: AT5 CS Questions. ASIO. VST Libaries. Tier limitations e

Postby garfy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:11 am

Hello Aquila Rossa and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you're having some issues. I'll try to help, although other users may chime in with some specific answers.

Aquila Rossa wrote:Firstly, it drops the sample rate of my Audient iD14 interface back down to 24/44, which is causing all other audio in Windows to stop working. I have my audio set for 24/96. When AT5 CS is open my ASIO control panel can not set the rate back to 24/96. It is stuck at 44k. Is this low bit rate a limitation of the CS version, or is it a bug? I opened a support ticket a couple of days ago and am waiting to hear back.

There have been a number of users experiencing problems with sample rates although I think these are being worked on for a future update. AFAIK it isn't a limitation of CS so it's good that you've got a ticket open about it. [Edited to remove a line where I was talking nonsense, sorry :D ]

Aquila Rossa wrote:Next is what the CS does to my VST libraries. It turns them into a complete mess. 100s of IK VSTs I do not own appear in my Reaper FX browser, which makes finding the ones I do own harder to find, plus I am still not sure which IK ones come with CS. This is enough to make me want to uninstall the program. I hope a better way is found, e.g., do not keep the demo VSTs in a local drive, or find a way to prevent VST scans seeing them, e.g., compress them as zips or something.

Installation of AT5CS by itself should not have introduced more libraries to your DAW. AT5 is self contained and, apart from having a mono or stereo option and a VST/VST3 choice I'm not sure what these 100s of IK VSTs are that you are referring too. Can you give some examples of their names please.

Aquila Rossa wrote:Finally there is the limitations problem. Only two racks can be used after the cab with CS it seems. There is no option to use the mixer or IR loader either, which I did expect, but I am wondering about the upgrade path. If I buy extra stuff for CS, will those limitations still exist? If so, I think that defeats the ala carte pick and mix approach. Correct? I was thinking I would be able to install CS and buy what I need without any restrictions on function. For example, if I buy a T-Rack, will it enable the mixer in CS? I guess not. It seems I have to buy the fully fledged AT5 platform to get all the functions huh?

I haven't experienced the CS version so I don't know some of the specific limitations of it, but the 2 rack limit, IR loader etc are because of the CS level and those restrictions remain even if you bought additional gear. Having T-RackS installed has no bearing on the function of AT5. To have access to those features, you will need to purchase AT5SE as a minimum (currently still on introductory prices).

Hope that clears some things up for you.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Aquila Rossa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:42 pm

I think the VSTs are from installing TRacks. I can uninstall it I guess. I was thinking that having them would allow their use in the mixer section of the standalone version of AT5 CS, but no mixer in that version.

As for buying AT5 SE, CS is touted as an ala carte product where you can begin for free and expand it with paid products as you like using the Custom Shop to buy the items you need. I do not see the point of that if the base product remains limited with some key features missing like the mixer and IR loader. To get a fully functional AT5 it seems you have to buy the highest tier of it, but there is plenty of stuff in that I would not use, so do not want to pay for. Oh well, never mind.

Audio? Hopefully they fix it. In the meantime I am thinking of trying Softube and dealing with the iLok hassles.
Aquila Rossa

Postby garfy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:10 am

Aquila Rossa wrote:I think the VSTs are from installing TRacks.

Ah, yes, those will show up as individual modules as you can use them as separate plugins or in the T-RackS shell.

Aquila Rossa wrote:CS is touted as an ala carte product where you can begin for free and expand it with paid products as you like using the Custom Shop

This is exactly the premise behind the Custom Shop.

Aquila Rossa wrote:I do not see the point of that if the base product remains limited with some key features missing like the mixer and IR loader.

CS is the free version to trial the software or add into your system as you wish to, otherwise (once authorised) it is fully functional for the user. Personally, I prefer this method of 'demo' compared to a time limited way, but it is a personal choice. If it included all the features what would be the incentive for anyone to buy the actual product. If you wish to have all of the features you will need to move into the paid for products.

Aquila Rossa wrote:To get a fully functional AT5 it seems you have to buy the highest tier of it

No, to get all the functions you need to buy AT5SE. This will give you the IR Loader, mixer, VIR Tech view etc. You can view the differences on this list https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... arison.pdf

AT5 gives you this same functionality plus the brand new gear for this release. AT5MAX (the highest tier) gives you all of that, plus all of the additional gear packs sold separately.

Aquila Rossa wrote:but there is plenty of stuff in that I would not use, so do not want to pay for.

And this is true of pretty much every user and every software product. There are hundreds of functions in my DAW that I'll never use, but others do.

Aquila Rossa wrote:Audio? Hopefully they fix it.

If you haven't received a reply to your Support ticket, you can reply to it yourself which will bump them, asking for further information.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Aquila Rossa » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:49 pm

I needed a direct box so I can switch between using plugin amps, or a real amp, load box and IRs, but not have to re-run cables. I was looking at Countryman. I saw the IK's Z-Tone DI is bundled with Amplitube 5 SE. Good deal, so i bought it.

I was looking at Axe I/O too, but I already have a decent interface, so a DI is enough.

I was hoping to be able to use SE as soon as I completed my purchase, because the software is digital delivery. I checked product manager and neither the DI or the software is there yet. 12 hours after purchase status is still 'received'. That's a little annoying.

Will I get access to the software before the unit arrives in NZ via the mail? it could be a long wait with all the corona delays, so hopefully I can use the software while waiting.
Aquila Rossa

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:01 pm

Bonus software is unlocked when you register your hardware.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Aquila Rossa » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:35 pm

No using the bundled software until hardware is registered when I physically receive the product huh? Figures. I mistakenly thought it would auto register upon purchase in product manager like software does.

It could be a long wait due to delays. Over a month based on how long other stuff takes to get here since corona.

I wonder if there is any way IK can sort that out for me, so I do not have to wait so long to use the software?

I was prepared to wait for the hardware though. To buy it locally costs around 70% more. Music gear is like that in NZ for some reason, which I guess is down to monopoly local distributors adding their cut. Savings are big enough that it is usually best to import and wait a few weeks.

For example, a Fractal FM3 is US$999 with free shipping for US peeps, but we pay almost twice that much because we have to buy from the local distro who has monopoly rights. It's good that IK do not do that to us, i.e., they also sell direct from Italy, rather than forcing us to buy local and get fleeced by middle persons.

I just hope I get to use the software before the hardware arrives. There is a feature I want to use now. There are a few (I am playing guitar lots, because we are in corona lock down again -- we have been lucky here with hardly any lock down in 18 months and things being mostly normal, but a week ago that changed).
Aquila Rossa

Postby Aquila Rossa » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:49 am

Z-Tone DI arrived much sooner than I expected. The last thing I imported from took months.

I have a question though. Does a battery have to be in it for the unit to power up? The manual says it can be powered by battery, or 48v phantom power, but without a battery the unit does not power up on 48v.

I used a multimeter ot test the mic cable and it does have 48v when phantom is enabled on my interface (Audient iD14).

Will the battery go flat if 48v is supplied and my guitar is left plugged into the Z-Tone?

Impressions? Amplitube 5 sounds very good just running into the JFET instrument input of my iD14 interface. At first I did not notice much difference using the Z-Tone. The variable Z does affect the tone though. Plainly speaking it changes it from loose to tight attack. I have found it useful to tighten up the low end of Gibson SG and Les Paul.

When using the JFET there are some harmonic overtones going on in the sustain. Nice for lead playing.

The gain control is useful for setting levels into my mic pres.

The pad will be useful for not getting clipping if I run a dirt pedal with a very high output into the DI and an amp plugin, e.g., a maxed out DOD 250 (I can pad it down and then boost the levels back up in DAW).

The THRU jack will allow me to leave my amp and load box setup when I want to run plugin amps instead. Without the DI I had to re-rout cables to do that. It was a hassle, so the amp was not getting used much.

The upgrade from Amplitube 5 CS to SE? I have not used many of the extra features yet. I have messed with the VIR tech though. It does help with placing the mic. It makes it easier.

What would be really cool is if future versions of the standalone app allow loading of T-Racks into the mixer section.
Aquila Rossa

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling