AT5 & iRig Stomp I/O - CONFLICT???

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

AT5 & iRig Stomp I/O - CONFLICT???

Postby hermybear2002 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:01 pm

Ok...I am really confused with IK's reasoning (or lack thereof) or maybe (and more probable) a huge oversite in the programming but it is causing me a large amount of grief.

IK...you make the iRig Stomp (Stomp), the AXE I/O (Axe), the Blueboard and AT5. Do you look to see what the left hand is doing when using the right???

You have 2 midi controllers that are using the same midi control number (MC#) for completely different functions and then you have hardwired that same controller number to AT5's dropdown box on preset search. You have a 3rd midi controller (Blueboard) that just doesn't want to work with AT5 (this is a whole other can of worms, which I won't address here).

I own all of them and YOU are F**KING ME UP!

So, I usually use my modded FBC1010, but one of the pedals is starting to get wonky with the on/off and needs a repair so I grab my Stomp to use during the interim.

The Stomp has static mid control number settings meaning...YOU CAN'T CHANGE THEM (this is just proprietary idiocy).

So, in stomp mode on the STOMP, you have MC#'s 20, 21, 22, 23, 26(foot).

The AXE is also set up with some MC#'s but they can be changed, still: Encoder: 22 / 23 (push & spin).

AT5 has a hardwired MC#'s for the AXE to control preset selection....you guessed it... 22 & 23

So, here I am, in the middle of recording; adding a SOLI. I need to turn OFF/ON/OFF my DELAY, which is mapped pedal 3 on the STOMP...MC# 23. I stomp on pedal 3 and the AT5 preset dropdown opens on the first pedal push (Delay OFF), then opens another dropdown on second push (DELAY ON)....

AND THEN IT SWITCHES THE (CENSORED) PRESET WITH third push (DELAY OFF) and totally f**ks up my recording.

I can't believe you hardwired the same MC# to 2 devices without even looking at your other gear?!?!?!?

I'm sorry, but this is just dumb. I can only use ONE of the TWO units that YOU sell for USE WITH YOUR OWN PRODUCTS. I have never, ever, bought anything from a manufacturer that conflicts with their own products...so, now I have a foot controller that conflicts with both the AXE and AT5, your products, but I can use WITH EVERYONE ELSE'S software and in tandem. I was using the STOMP + Blueboard to run BIAS FX2 on my iPad and it works flawlessly (btw - until you come out with AT5 on iPad, I will probably still use BIAS FX2 for live).

This is what happens when you have ones and zeroes tech people writing programs for musicians. They just have no idea how we use this stuff. This is really frustrating. It makes using the STOMP a nightmare live as I only have access to pedals 1,2 & 4 or I can only stomp pedal 3 (MC# 23) one or two times at most during a song...useless.

On top of all this, the STOMP's built-in expression pedal should be able to be mapped to more than one parameter, but every time I tried to map it to a volume pedal (0% - 100%) and then to a parameter knob on a boost pedal (0%-40%), the pedal stops working or CRASHES my AT5.

And lastly, it seems that the software can only take a certain number of midi commands before it freezes and crashes. I use a BRC2000 to midi control knobs on the effects, especially the 10band and multiband EQ's (trying to use a mouse if beyond ridiculous). I usually crash around the 4th or 5th mapping iteration...

As good as the sound is, it's useless if it continues to crash.

You made this absolutely incredible sounding plugin, then you shoot yourselves in the foot with midi implementation issues and compatibility.

I'm sure I will be told to pull a ticket. I already did...2 FRIGGIN WEEKS AGO. Have heard ZERO back after sending 72 pages (PDF) of error output from my MBP..

For years, I have been waffling between IK and Positive Grid software. IK always had more midi implementation and available parameters than PG, but FX2 sounded way better (IMHO) than AT4. It has been my go to for live and recording for the last couple years now.

When IK announced AT5, I new I had to give it a try and I was beyond impressed...on the surface. But making music isn't just about sonics. It's about intuitiveness and ease of use and needs a MUSICIANS mindset in creating tools for use.

Last night, after having to spend an hour on a track that should have taking 10 minutes, max, I decided to A/B AT5 vs. BIAS FX2...

AT5 is more dynamic and has a sonic broadness that FX2 doesn't have, but FX2 is not that far behind. I would way rather use AT5 and once my FCB is fixed, It will probably be my main, but now I have IK tools that are useless, that are supposed to be designed for plug-n-play with your own software but don't work as needed.

There is ONE thing you can do, on AT5, remap the dropdown / preset select buttons to either be assignable OR change the mapping to a MC# that is NOT the same as your other static assigns. Without this change, the STOMP is just a $250 door stop / paperweight...
hermybear2002

Re: AT5 & iRig Stomp I/O - CONFLICT???

Postby Abikis » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:44 pm

These non-programable parameters cause issues if you want to use those cc#'s with other midi devices, as well as the issue with the two IK devices you described.

This wasn't an issue in AT4, it seems as though those control schemes only loaded when the relevant midi device was selected.

Hopefully it's just a bug, but I've also not received a reply about submitted issues for 10 days, so I'm just crossing my fingers 5.0.2 is soon and addresses it.
Abikis

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling