How to use double tracked guitars on a Bus

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

How to use double tracked guitars on a Bus

Postby AndreasJBlack » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:06 pm

How would you set up a doubletracking/stereo situation in Amplitube 5?

In Amplitube 4 i would usually push the "2" and engage the stereo in button. Duplicate the ampsettings and send my Left and Right guitar recordings (two separate recordings for "stereo width" to the same channelstrip where i had an instance of Amplitube 4 aka "a guitar bus". Pan them to each side and voila it would sound "wide". It's not happening for me right now. Trying to do something similar now i have yet to figure out how it works. I don't want to bounce down the tracks, i want to hear how it sounds double tracked before bouncing it down. It would take forever to dial in a tone by bouncing down, listening, etc.

I've actually fast red thru the pdf Manual but i did not come across a "how to Setup Amplitube 5 for doubletracking" section. That should be in the "quicksetup" section :?: I mean most of us record double tracks, maybe even four or six takes of the same riff. I hope it's not so i need to load more instances of Ampitube 5, one for each side? That would be a not so good idea for the CPU i would say, but what do i know. :roll:

I have pushed the symbal so i get two cabs, i guess i'm halfway there? I hope :lol: Looking for that stereo button, can't find one. Maybe there ain't one and it's called something else. Or i just need to "pan" the cabs someway? I've tried, but no results as of yet. This needs to be cleared up in the manual. Unless i've missed it completely.

Thanks, and i love the new interface so far guys :!:
AndreasJBlack

Re: How to use double tracked guitars on a Bus

Postby bdbutler74 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:17 am

In the signal path section, on the left hand side there are four buttons. These buttons control what type of signal path you are using. The bottom button with two arrows is the stereo path. Try that and see if it works for your situation.
bdbutler74

Postby AndreasJBlack » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:50 pm

bdbutler74 wrote:In the signal path section, on the left hand side there are four buttons. These buttons control what type of signal path you are using. The bottom button with two arrows is the stereo path. Try that and see if it works for your situation.

I solved it before reading this, but i was quite frustrated there for a while :lol: . Still don't get why that is the LAST option. It should be the second option in my mind. At least if following the Amplitube 4's previous interface, but a lot has changed for the better so i guess i shouldn't complain. 8-) :D
AndreasJBlack

Postby bdbutler74 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:52 pm

Haha...yeah the new layout had me scratching my head for a few days, but once I got it...it is actually more efficient :D Glad you got it figured out!
bdbutler74

Postby TommyQ94 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:47 pm

Hey guys,

I have been having a similar issue with this myself. I am looking to set up once instance of Amplitube 5 in Logic to which I could then send as many guitars as I want and pan them L and R, as this would save significant CPU.

I updated to Amplitube 5 from 4, but when I go to click the double arrows on the left hand side for the stereo option it says 'This feature is only available in Amplitube 5'

I didnt pay for any update and maybe thats why, do you have to pay for the full upgrade to Amplitube 5 or what have I done wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated :)
TommyQ94

Postby garfy » Wed May 12, 2021 4:02 pm

Hello TommyQ94

I've had a look at the comparison chart between the different versions but I can't find a definitive answer for you. I suspect that it is indeed a feature in the paid-for versions of the app.

As this is a user-to-user forum and not direct to IKM support, in case no one else chimes in here with advice or a solution the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-su ... ck=QUICKSW

If these do not resolve the issue, there is a link to the Technical Support form at the top of the Search FAQs page, for direct help from Official IK Support. They endeavour to reply within 2 working days, but obviously considering the current situation things may take longer than usual.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the issues, but without directly quoting any correspondence from official support.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby WRod » Sun May 23, 2021 12:35 pm

TommyQ94 wrote:Hey guys,

I have been having a similar issue with this myself. I am looking to set up once instance of Amplitube 5 in Logic to which I could then send as many guitars as I want and pan them L and R, as this would save significant CPU.

I updated to Amplitube 5 from 4, but when I go to click the double arrows on the left hand side for the stereo option it says 'This feature is only available in Amplitube 5'

I didnt pay for any update and maybe thats why, do you have to pay for the full upgrade to Amplitube 5 or what have I done wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

I dont think youre correct in your assumption that it would save "significant" CPU. Yeah maybe if youre sending a few guitars to the same amplifier it would save, but thats not going to sound very good.

Alternatively If youre going to set up a different amp- cab path inside a single instance of A5, for each guitar you bus to that channel, then that will sound more appropriate, but the cpu savings wont be as dramatic.

Honestly youre not saving a lot and using more tracks will afford you more control.
Amplitube 5 Max/Windows 10
WRod

Postby Peter_IK » Sun May 23, 2021 10:51 pm

I have been doing this since studying recording in the late 80s and early 90s so all the way through the beginning of digital/in-the-box recording and never have I (or anybody I know from hobbyist to professional in the industry) ever felt the need to use an amp sim on a bus. They're made to be insert effects and using them on a bus doesn't save all that much CPU as pointed out above. To benefit from the little you might gain, you'd really have to be on a potato of a computer and honestly at that point anybody would start freezing tracks or committing them in the way they prefer instead.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby acdc2000 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:45 pm

Peter_IK wrote:I have been doing this since studying recording in the late 80s and early 90s so all the way through the beginning of digital/in-the-box recording and never have I (or anybody I know from hobbyist to professional in the industry) ever felt the need to use an amp sim on a bus. They're made to be insert effects and using them on a bus doesn't save all that much CPU as pointed out above. To benefit from the little you might gain, you'd really have to be on a potato of a computer and honestly at that point anybody would start freezing tracks or committing them in the way they prefer instead.

I do that. I use busses for my mooer ge150 hardware insert and some software amps. so i can switch a track to GE 150 or marshal or mesa softamp and test quick which i like more and have a reference sound. because many software amps have a nasty 3.5 khz boost which notice and correct quicker when compare to a good reference sound. If do music with VST guitar plugins that output stereo signal for double tracking a bus is also very usefull because there can easy change the bus and try other guitar settings. I dont understand wy ik multimidea not allow stereo processing, so a double track guitar vst work on a stereo channel or stereo bus easy.
acdc2000

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:46 pm

There are stereo routing options in AmpliTube 5
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby acdc2000 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:57 pm

Peter_IK wrote:There are stereo routing options in AmpliTube 5

but there is no routing option that left and right channel is synced and use same amp settings on both channels. when i change something in left amp it often sound not so good in stereo . Then i need copy left amp to right channel with popu menu that it sound better. so every time i do that cost around 3 sec more. thats additional time and work. tweek a sound first in mono does not help much, because when a sound sound good in mono it sound then often not good in double track.

or maybe a computer keyboard hotkey can add in amplitube that copy all settings(amp , pedal, speaker) from left to right channel.

there is a stereo enhancer effect inside, but this sound not so good to make double tracks.
acdc2000

Postby carlaz » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:54 pm

Peter_IK wrote:I have been doing this since studying recording in the late 80s and early 90s so all the way through the beginning of digital/in-the-box recording and never have I (or anybody I know from hobbyist to professional in the industry) ever felt the need to use an amp sim on a bus.

Actually ... I sometimes record separate parts with a different pickup (or different guitar) separately on different tracks that I then send through a mono bus with a single instance of AmpliTube on it. This is, admittedly, just a virtual convenience; the bus is really getting just one track of audio at a time, and I have the original DIs on different tracks just to keep them visually organized!

However, I have also sometimes tried a variation of the "Mutt Lange/Def Leppard" trick of recording separately recording individual notes on different strings on different tracks, and then I route those together onto a bus with a single instance of AmpliTube. :ugeek: :mrgreen: To be fair, this is IMO usually more trouble than it's worth except in very particular situations where you want a very particular sonic effect (perhaps if one actually is Mutt Lange or Def Leppard! :lol: ).
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling