CS version and collections limited. Modular AT5 upgrades?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

CS version and collections limited. Modular AT5 upgrades?

Postby Emanthemirror » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:28 am

As a bass player owning the SVX 1 collection and a few other chosen models, I applaud the features in AT5 but there's something that started with AT4 that I still fail to fully understand:

If you are choosing the Collection or CS path - and you're likely to do so for bass gear - you are left without some embedded/core AT features. AT4 started having some and now AT5 brings some others, locked behind a pay wall. And said features cannot be unlocked as gear.

Given that the gear we'd be using is the one we have already chosen, how many people would be willing to spend for a non-CS ATx (x as for version) on top of their collections?

BTW, for the good stuff:

the introduction of the Brit 800 head for everyone is very welcome, and so is the option to place racks/pedals wherever in the chain for everyone, which was previously locked in AT4 (see?)

The Tiny Terror giveaway was a great surprise and it really gives some wonderful tones pairing it with free guitar cabs. I use it with my Bass VI for guitar oriented rigs and tones and the sounds I get are amazing - to my ears the break-up qualities and dynamics are very three-dimensional for something happening completely digitally.

Even with all its limitations, the bare, vanilla AT CS is nowadays a great free tool worth good tones.
Emanthemirror

Re: CS version and collections limited. Modular AT5 upgrades

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:04 am

That would be AmpliTube 5 SE which includes all of the features but none of the new gear.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Emanthemirror » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:34 am

Thank you for your reply re. the SE version.

When it comes to IR and virtually mic'd speakers, besides a more precise representation of mic placement, is the system implemented in the CS version the same, only limited and less in-depth or does it involve older technologies and IR sampling, resulting in different modeling and actual tone quality of the two versions with the mics exactly in the same spot?

Does AT 5 CS improve the overall modelled tone and depth compared to AT 4 CS, regardless of gear? For example: would an SVT CL through an 8x10 and a RE-20 sound better in AT 5 (Custom Shop version) than in AT 4 CS?

I like the new noise gate conceived as a pedal instead and placeable in different places within the chain accordingly. I also like to see that you now offer a custom IR loader as a full AT 5 option, though I personally think that could be an unlockable feature through Custom Shop purchase.
It can easily be worked around within a daw, although an external IR loader would inevitably happen after the plugin and not within the internal chain, but that's an understandable trade off.

Another thing I still haven't seen within the available gear for AT is a dual band compressor, which another brand regularly features for their bass plugins and are a fast and effective way to balance the overall tone. Again, it can be achieved within a daw and external plugins, but I think a crossover within AT for dynamic treatment would be a welcome feat.

Your tube comp rack isn't as surgical but has a nice, smooth quality to it, by the way.
Emanthemirror

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:25 pm

Emanthemirror wrote:Thank you for your reply re. the SE version.

When it comes to IR and virtually mic'd speakers, besides a more precise representation of mic placement, is the system implemented in the CS version the same, only limited and less in-depth or does it involve older technologies and IR sampling, resulting in different modeling and actual tone quality of the two versions with the mics exactly in the same spot?

Does AT 5 CS improve the overall modelled tone and depth compared to AT 4 CS, regardless of gear? For example: would an SVT CL through an 8x10 and a RE-20 sound better in AT 5 (Custom Shop version) than in AT 4 CS?

The 16 IR per speaker version is from AmpliTube 4, they are not measured by the robot like the 600+ per speaker for AmpliTube 5. It's far less in-depth.

AmpliTube 5 CS (free version) will show some improvement due to the overall new engine improvements (and legacy amps are improved in CS as well) so the sound will be different and overall better too.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Emanthemirror » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Peter_IK wrote:The 16 IR per speaker version is from AmpliTube 4, they are not measured by the robot like the 600+ per speaker for AmpliTube 5. It's far less in-depth.

When one upgrades to the SE version which gives access to the VIR Tech, does all the previously acquired and backdated gear benefit from all the new IRs per speaker? I'll still refer to the same example: if I decided to upgrade and use the VIR Tech on a SVX 8x10 model, would I get access to a completely recaptured IR mapping of the same cab?
Emanthemirror

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:04 pm

Emanthemirror wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:The 16 IR per speaker version is from AmpliTube 4, they are not measured by the robot like the 600+ per speaker for AmpliTube 5. It's far less in-depth.

When one upgrades to the SE version which gives access to the VIR Tech, does all the previously acquired and backdated gear benefit from all the new IRs per speaker? I'll still refer to the same example: if I decided to upgrade and use the VIR Tech on a SVX 8x10 model, would I get access to a completely recaptured IR mapping of the same cab?

Yes, existing cabs were remeasured too. It's quite awesome.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling