Using Line 6 pedal with Amplitube 5

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Using Line 6 pedal with Amplitube 5

Postby Floodmusic » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:47 pm

Hi folks, I am having trouble getting my line 6 pedal to control pedals in Amp 5. I am using Logic Pro. I right click on the virtual pedal in amp 5 and it says its ready for midi info and to move the controller of choice. I move the line 6 pedal but nothing happens. The line 6 pedal is connected to my mac via usb. Maybe it’s something in Logic I am not understanding. Any help would be most appreciated.
Regards Trev
Floodmusic

Re: Using Line 6 pedal with Amplitube 5

Postby alienpops » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:51 am

In order to get midi to work on a plugin within Logic, you have to have to insert AT5 plugin on a "software instrument" track, not a as an effect on an "audio" track.

I have the same setup, AT5 in Logic controlled by a Line6 FBV floorboard. I can confirm that controlling AT5 with the FBV inside Logic works and I can set controller assignments. Also, it seems (as in AT4), any midi settings you make in the standalone AT5 also transfer over to the plugin.
alienpops

Postby Floodmusic » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:40 am

Thank you, forgive my ignorance but if on an instrument track rather than audio how can I record audio?
Regards Trev
Floodmusic

Postby alienpops » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:19 am

Unless someone has a better method, what I do to get a recording of a midi controlled instrument track is:

1. Create an instrument track in Logic.

2. Add the AT5 as a midi-controlled plugin.

3. Within the AT5 plugin, set the input to whatever your guitar/bass is on.

4. Then use a bus send on that track (eg. Bus 1) and set the send output to be 0 db.

5. Then in Logic, create another audio track and assign the same bus (Eg. Bus 1).

6. When recording, record the bus audio track. That way, it will capture your performance just as you play it.

Now keep in mind, that method is “destructive” in the sense that it records it as an audio file with all the effects and everything applied (no editing effects, amps, etc. after-the-fact). You can also just add another track and record the clean signal of the guitar, mute it, and apply AT5 as an effect to that clean track and then tweak settings after recording. I wind up using both methods depending on the situation (live band vs. studio recording).

I have always meant to look and see if there is a more elegant solution to that problem (seems to be a Logic limitation?), but have gotten used to that method I described above. Seems like there should be an easier way. Let me know if you find one!
alienpops

Postby Floodmusic » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:24 am

I am getting stuck on 3. Within the AT5 plugin, set the input to whatever your guitar/bass is on.
I can't get any sound out of the AT5 and can't figure out in the AT5 how to set the input as in what or where do I click?
Trev
Floodmusic

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling