Tip: Converting AT4 Presets to AT5

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Tip: Converting AT4 Presets to AT5

Postby alienpops » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:59 am

I know AT5 is a totally new engine, but for anyone looking to transfer your AT4 presets over to use as a starting place for new AT5 sounds, here are some things I discovered:

1. Simply copying your AT4 presets into the AT5 presets folder before launch will load them all in.

2. However, they are all have the extension ".at4p". So if you make any changes to the sound and save it, it will create a new ".at5p" version and you will then have a duplicate of the preset with the same name (that actually took are a little while to figure out it was happening and then figuring out why - hence my post).

3. Solution, if you change all of the AT4 file extensions from ".at4p" to ".at5p" first they will open up fine in AT5 and then you can just overwrite them with any changes and avoid duplicates. Depending on your OS, you can find all the ".at4p" files in the AT5 folder and batch change the file extension to ".at5p" (a web search should give you the instructions for how to do that part).

I hope that helps people who have spent a lot of time creating presets. They definitely don't come in "perfect" with the new engine, but I found with some tweaking in the new mixer window I can adjust the mic volumes, bus volume and main volume to get them in the ballpark to where they were in AT4. And then I can work on fine tuning the ones that I want to expand on in AT5. Certainly the new routing features open up new sonic possiblities.
alienpops

Re: Tip: Converting AT4 Presets to AT5

Postby DarkStar » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:28 pm

Good idea.

For "perfect" I would say "exactly the same" :). That is because the AT5 DSp engine is new and there are new features in AT5 too, the recaptured cabs , VIR, internal gain, amp-speaker interaction etc).
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby alienpops » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:05 am

Yes, you are right DarkStar. I do mean "not exactly the same" rather than "perfect". The main issues encountered bringing my AT4 patches seem to be differences in volumes levels at various stages (some at the input, some in the mic section, some in the bus and some in the master). So playing around for a little bit with each patch in the mixer gets them close to what the overall levels were in AT4. I just plan on using some of those as a starting point for new patches in AT5 as I know the sounds overall improve once I swap out some of the components (looking at you digital reverb) and tweak with the mic placements with the new VIR tech. Of course now there are even more rabbit holes to go down now to get that "perfect" sound...

Oh, one other thing I just found related to converting AT4 presets. The 5.01 patch seems to reinstall all of the presets so I wound up with all of the legacy presets twice. So I just did a search in the presets folder and deleted all of the ".at4p" files. Though now that I think about it, does that mean all of those presets changed?? Seems unlikely. I'm betting it's just part of the installer.
alienpops

Postby DarkStar » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:43 pm

^^^
I doubt that they changed, too. But when you install the next release, back-up the newly re-installed legacy presets, just in case, before deleting them. You might also be able to check the "last modified date".
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby KuritaT » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:11 pm

So I tested this a bit and I noticed every preset loads without the pedalboard that was pre-configured in AT4. Also, all the knobs are turned to 5 by default.

Looks like you can't "really" import your settings. It just gives you the amp with neutral settings. Even the cabs are all wrong with default speakers instead of the ones that I usually used.
KuritaT

Postby genethomas1974 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi

I know this might be a simple answer but I'm a noob!

where can I find my AT5 preset library?
When I go into program files and find the IK Multimedia folder there is no preset folder anywhere in there.

Thanks
Gene
genethomas1974

Postby DarkStar » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:51 pm

^^^
In your My Documents\IK Multimedia\AmpliTube 5\Presets
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:57 pm

KuritaT wrote:So I tested this a bit and I noticed every preset loads without the pedalboard that was pre-configured in AT4. Also, all the knobs are turned to 5 by default.

Looks like you can't "really" import your settings. It just gives you the amp with neutral settings. Even the cabs are all wrong with default speakers instead of the ones that I usually used.

That's not global, obviously that wouldn't be the intended behavior. Please contact IK Support via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support and they will be able to assist you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby genethomas1974 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:51 pm

DarkStar wrote:^^^
In your My Documents\IK Multimedia\AmpliTube 5\Presets

Great, all sorted. Thanks
genethomas1974

Postby Ralion » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Great tips on converting, thank you! I am just starting to convert my amplitube 4 presets. The amp came up with all knobs on noon in A5, but all the other stuff in the signal chain had the same settings in 5 as they had in 4. But after i have set the amp to the correct settings, it seems like the final output of Amplitube 5 is significantly lower than Amplitube 4. Maybe 4-5 db. It was quite easy A/B-testing this in my gigperformer patch, see the attached image. Anyone else have the same problem? Image
Ralion

Postby nandosouzafilho » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:27 pm

Coping presets from AT4 to AT5 presets folder didn't work for me. I am using MAC OS. Is there any difference?
nandosouzafilho

Postby holm » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:21 am

I have just copied my own nice and beloved Dual Rectifier presets from AT4 into AT5....I'm quite disappointed ..in AT5 in general they sound quite more dull...So far I haven't been able to figure out exactly what is causing this...it's quite easy to make an A/B comparison as my AT4 is running side by side AT 5, and it seems the parameters (at least the amp, cabinet and pedals) are the same....I even tried to mute all but the amp itself...still different...I'm not sure I think this is great... :?
holm

Postby nandosouzafilho » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:19 am

How could you ppl find the moved presets from AT4 to AT5? Mine ones are already in the AT5 presets folder but I cannot find them using the presets browser after open AT5.

I am using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7, in case it helps.
nandosouzafilho

Postby holm » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:07 pm

Just moved them in the Finder from AT4 User->Documents->IK Multimedia->Amplitube4->presets->PresetXXX (or folder) to AT5 (same place)..... Relaunch AT5..

- On Catalina 10.15.5
holm

Postby nandosouzafilho » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:12 pm

Ok... I couldn't find them because most of them actually don't show up the preset browser, for some unknown reason. From around 15, only 4 are visible in the AT5. Does anyone have an idea why?
nandosouzafilho

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling