AT4 presets in AT5

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

AT4 presets in AT5

Postby Valiumdupeuple » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:05 am

[Mod edit: posts split into their own thread, for continued discussion ]

It didn't read this whole giant topic, so sorry if it was already asked/answered:
presets from previous Amplitube versions sound different now. I read that the gain structure and other little things in this area have been reworked, so am I right in thinking that it's the reason for this differences?
Shouldn't "legacy" presets keep the sounds you designed? Use the new "engine" for new presets but make sure past ones stay the same... that's what I'm expecting. Am I alone thinking this?

Also, I noticed that presets don't load instantly. It sounds like they load "layers-by-layers", i.e you get a sound character for the first 2 seconds or so and then a different one. This is making live playing with presets switching impossible.

Otherwise, great UI re-design. I wouldn't mind staying on AT4, but AT5's UI is way better.
Valiumdupeuple

Re: Presenting AmpliTube 5

Postby carlaz » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:17 am

Valiumdupeuple wrote:Shouldn't "legacy" presets keep the sounds you designed? Use the new "engine" for new presets but make sure past ones stay the same... that's what I'm expecting. Am I alone thinking this?

I'm not sure that quite makes sense to me, actually. If one wanted exactly the same sound as in AT4, well, then one sticks with AT4 (which is a separate app, and so remains available, the same as it ever was). Importing an AT4 preset into AT5 inherently implies adapting something from AT4 for use in AT5 -- i.e., for use in different software -- so logically it should sound (at least slightly) different. I would not expect and AT4 preset imported into AT5 to do more than approximate (more or less closely) the sound in AT4.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Valiumdupeuple » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:38 am

carlaz wrote:
Valiumdupeuple wrote:Shouldn't "legacy" presets keep the sounds you designed? Use the new "engine" for new presets but make sure past ones stay the same... that's what I'm expecting. Am I alone thinking this?

I'm not sure that quite makes sense to me, actually. If one wanted exactly the same sound as in AT4, well, then one sticks with AT4 (which is a separate app, and so remains available, the same as it ever was). Importing an AT4 preset into AT5 inherently implies adapting something from AT4 for use in AT5 -- i.e., for use in different software -- so logically it should sound (at least slightly) different. I would not expect and AT4 preset imported into AT5 to do more than approximate (more or less closely) the sound in AT4.

That's a very valid point of view!
I don't remember observing such tonal differences between AT3 and AT4 with older presets, but that was a long time ago so I probably just forgot.
Valiumdupeuple

Postby carlaz » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:55 am

I get the sense that AT5 is in some ways quite a bit different than its predecessors. For example, the separable pre-/power amp sections from some of the original Metal and Hendrix packages have finally been eliminated in the AT5 versions of the amps -- so any presets using combinations that are no longer available in AT5 would have to sound somewhat different. Plus, it seems like there has been a lot of work on the Cab Room, in terms of all the IRs, etc., so that ought to sound different, too.

Also, I think one actually has to own the cab models now in AT5 to be able to use the associated speaker models, whereas in AT4 I think all the speaker models were available to you regardless of whether you own the associated cabs or not.

So, if you import an AT4 preset into AT5 that uses a speaker model from a cab you don't own, then that won't work, I guess, and it will probably substitute some other speaker or perhaps just object that you don't own the model -- I dunno, as I haven't tried anything like that! :lol:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Valiumdupeuple » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:06 am

^^^^
I'm of course talking about my own presets... that indeed only use models I own.
But it's just like previous versions in this area: presets with stuff you don't own will load with other models you own. First thing I do with any new AT release is to delete all the stuff I don't need and own. IK implemented some handy ways to hide this extra stuff in AT5, that's nice since it's always been really annoying, but still I removed everything I don't want directly in the Finder.
Valiumdupeuple

Postby carlaz » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:15 am

I do find that some of my legacy AT4 presets don't seem to be picked up when copied into the AT5 presets folder. I'm not quite sure why most work, but some do not .... I initially thought there might be a problem with presets that had certain "special" characters (like parentheses, "()", etc.) in the file/preset name, but then I saw other presets with such characters in their name were being picked up in AT5 ... so I dunno. I haven't figured it out, yet. It might just be easiest to re-create those few MIA presets by reproducing the gear settings from AT4.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:32 am

Valiumdupeuple wrote:It didn't read this whole giant topic, so sorry if it was already asked/answered:
presets from previous Amplitube versions sound different now. I read that the gain structure and other little things in this area have been reworked, so am I right in thinking that it's the reason for this differences?
Shouldn't "legacy" presets keep the sounds you designed? Use the new "engine" for new presets but make sure past ones stay the same... that's what I'm expecting. Am I alone thinking this?

Also, I noticed that presets don't load instantly. It sounds like they load "layers-by-layers", i.e you get a sound character for the first 2 seconds or so and then a different one. This is making live playing with presets switching impossible.

Otherwise, great UI re-design. I wouldn't mind staying on AT4, but AT5's UI is way better.

No, it is not possible to get the same sound from a totally rewritten engine like AmpliTube 5. Like @carlaz suggests, if you need the same exact sound you can also run AmpliTube 4 since AmpliTube 5 is a completely separate installation.

Your experience with slow-loading presets doesn't seem to be the norm, I know mine have loaded lightning fast from the go so perhaps there's something going on on your system and IK Support could take a deeper look or offer more specific technical advice/support via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support ?
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Valiumdupeuple » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:27 am

Peter_IK wrote:
Valiumdupeuple wrote:It didn't read this whole giant topic, so sorry if it was already asked/answered:

No, it is not possible to get the same sound from a totally rewritten engine like AmpliTube 5. Like @carlaz suggests, if you need the same exact sound you can also run AmpliTube 4 since AmpliTube 5 is a completely separate installation.

Thanks for your feedback Peter ;)

Just for the sake of discussion (i.e I will keep on using AT4 too): if you're emulating an e.g Orange or Fender amp and it's advertized as souding like the "real thing", isn't it a bit unexpected that the "real thing" then sounds so much different as AT gets a new engine? Is it still sounding like the "real thing" then?
Valiumdupeuple

Postby ejsheldon » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:12 am

Valiumdupeuple wrote:
Just for the sake of discussion (i.e I will keep on using AT4 too): if you're emulating an e.g Orange or Fender amp and it's advertized as souding like the "real thing", isn't it a bit unexpected that the "real thing" then sounds so much different as AT gets a new engine? Is it still sounding like the "real thing" then?

Still "the real thing", but with newer tubes? ;)
ejsheldon

Postby Valiumdupeuple » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:54 am

ejsheldon wrote:
Valiumdupeuple wrote:

Still "the real thing", but with newer tubes? ;)

:)
Valiumdupeuple

Postby carlaz » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:03 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:Just for the sake of discussion (i.e I will keep on using AT4 too): if you're emulating an e.g Orange or Fender amp and it's advertized as souding like the "real thing", isn't it a bit unexpected that the "real thing" then sounds so much different as AT gets a new engine? Is it still sounding like the "real thing" then?

It's a reasonable question, though I think it's fair to say that -- since we are talking about digital emulation of physical equipment -- the goal of IKM (or any other maker of digital emulations) is to get as close as possible to "the real thing" as current technology reasonably or practically permits.

Probably most makers of digital emulations could, at any given moment, produce "even more like the real thing" emulations that would simply require too much processing power, etc. for most consumers' computers. So, there is probably always some trade-off between "what is possible" and "what is practical". Nevertheless, consumers' computers are always becoming more powerful, so what was previously "possible but impractical" is always also becoming "more practical" with time.

Then there are, in the end, limits to humans' capacities to distinguish "sufficiently advanced technology" from "magic" ;) though those limits will differ significantly according to differing individual's knowledge and experience. I mean: if you've never listened to Jimi Hendrix's actual Marshall amp, how would you judge the accuracy of a digital emulation? :mrgreen: After all, in the end, as guys like Andrew Scheps like to point out, the average listener doesn't care whether you played through Hendrix's actual amp or a digital emulation of it (good or bad); they only care whether they like the music. Of course, "creatives" may care -- either because they do know what that real amp should sound like, or because there is a psychological effect on their creative qualities that is rooted in believing that the emulation is (sufficiently) like "the real thing" .... But this gets very subjective. We might remember that AC/DC was using AT2-era models on their studio recordings (for Black Ice, I believe), and while we can all probably agree that AT5 is in many ways an improvement on AT2, clearly AT2 was already "good enough" for professional commercial use (for what's that's worth).

I haven't played through Hendrix's amp :lol: but I do still think the AT3/4-era JH Gold is a pretty good-sounding digital emulation for my purposes. If it sounds even better (more like the "real thing"? though how would I know? :lol: ) in AT5: then, cool.

It looks to me like a lot of any change in tone in AT5 will be due to the evidently extensive attention that has been lavished on the Cab Room (speaker modeling, more IRs, etc.), and I think a lot of engineers/producers might agree that cabs and speakers are where a lot of the tone lives. I don't know as much about the "under-the-hood" reprogramming updates for the amp emulation, but probably the IKM guys could say something about what's been going on there. (Physical amps, especially vintage-style ones, are weird are inconsistent beasts, so I would at least imagine that the tweaks one could pursue in the quest for Ultimate Realism go on almost forever -- if probably with greatly diminishing returns, after a certain point.)

I'm also inclined to think that some of the major value in AT5 are the new routing options and rack gear. I'm already imagining new gear models/units that could be usefully added there! :mrgreen:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:53 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:

Thanks for your feedback Peter ;)

I suggest you spend some more time with the AmpliTube 5 versions. The new engine and VIR™ technology are indeed more realistic, but I think if you play more with AmpliTube 5 you'll understand when I say the improvements have a lot to do with interaction, responsiveness, and feel. Not just some scientific "looks like the spectograph output of the amp & cabinet" type of realism (similar to those companies who might not use the real gear but just schematics and guessing) but how the gear responds to your playing.

I've been playing for about 38 years and have played a lot of the real gear we model and this may just be the most important factor in realism.

Also and apologies for being a bit blunt, but I think it's a tad silly to try to shame a company for improvements to their product even if it is meant more as a way to workshop some internet comedy/snark or whatever reason.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Valiumdupeuple » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
Also and apologies for being a bit blunt, but I think it's a tad silly to try to shame a company for improvements to their product even if it is meant more as a way to workshop some internet comedy/snark or whatever reason.

I'm not complaining Peter ;-)
I just think this is an interesting point to discuss, and you gave great feedback. I didn't want to sound like Im ranting, I'm just curious.
thx!
Valiumdupeuple

Re: AT4 presets in AT5

Postby DarkStar » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:47 pm

[Mod edit: posts split into their own thread, for continued discussion ]
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling