Ultra Tuner in A5?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Ultra Tuner in A5?

Postby livesforrap » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:21 pm

I played around with this more today and it's just bad. All of my instruments I've tried have the same problem. When you hit the string, it's sharp. If it goes flat and you try (and I mean try) to get it on, then by GTUNE it's now sharp. Again, it doesn't matter whether it's a strat, humbucker, bass, or guitar. Same result. I'm running at 44.1k
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:49 pm

livesforrap wrote:I played around with this more today and it's just bad. All of my instruments I've tried have the same problem. When you hit the string, it's sharp. If it goes flat and you try (and I mean try) to get it on, then by GTUNE it's now sharp. Again, it doesn't matter whether it's a strat, humbucker, bass, or guitar. Same result. I'm running at 44.1k

I'd report that. The tuner (and UltraTuner) should be accurate.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby livesforrap » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:51 pm

So many reports, so little time :lol:

I'll do it.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby jschrade » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:12 am

Surprised, Ultra Tuner is very nice and haven’t used anything better.

Do you use the sine waves?
jschrade

Postby livesforrap » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:09 am

jschrade wrote:Surprised, Ultra Tuner is very nice and haven’t used anything better.

Do you use the sine waves?

Same problem. The "flat" stuff gets tuned up, it's WAY out of tune, badly. I check it against GTUNE and it's off. Retune with that, bingo, it's fine.

Anyways, I've opened a ticket to support.
livesforrap

Postby Asterion III » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:24 pm

Yep, also not loving the Ultra tuner in AT5.

AT4's Ultra tuner rivalled the best hardware tuners I've tried and has an uncanny ability to detect the fundamental of a note and hold it while filtering out any unwanted noise. AT5 by comparison is really jumpy and doesn't settle on the fundamental long enough before randomly reporting the note as sharp or flat leaving you to guess based on the initial attack.

It's bad enough that I've been using AT4 to tune before opening AT5 which basically defeats the purpose :(
Asterion III

Postby livesforrap » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:14 pm

I dunno what happened but it's better with the 5.01 update. Maybe it's just me.
livesforrap

Postby bernier289 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:25 am

carlaz wrote:^^^^
Cool! 8-) Yeah, actually, after making that post, I was also thinking, "Huh, maybe I should try the Black 76 on the DI, and then the White 2A on the master bus ...?" Basically, I was really thinking that the attack on the Model 670 might be a little faster than I wanted on the master (though a fast attack from the Black 76 ... or even the Model 670?) might be just the thing on the DI.

For this kind of thing, I really want to totally smash the DI low-end, so that there is just always this super-consistent foundation of quite clean lows that are always there -- even when playing the higher strings, or going up the neck, or whatever. Then the higher frequencies can be a little bouncier (though they can also get a little compression from first the amp model itself and then also in the master bus, at leastgetaway shootout).

Technically, I think the routing options would let one have even further signal paths, so one could actually carve up the EQ to have separate treatments of more frequency bands. This is the kind of thing that mixers do in their DAWS, but AT5 has the options to get similar effects directly in the plugin/standalone app.

I haven't played with the new Aguilar amp, yet, so that should be fun. 8-)

It sounds like you're deep in the zone with your bass tone experimentation! I love your thought process on using different compressors and attack times to achieve your desired sound.
bernier289

Postby carlaz » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:14 pm

I'm still deep in the zone with my bass tone experimentation. :lol: I dunno: I find myself happy with many different guitar tones I can dial in with AmpliTube -- solo'd or in a mix (even if the mix usually benefits from maybe a little more processing) -- but though I can be happy with solo'd bass tones I dial in directly in AmpliTube, I find I need to do much more to get bass tones I like in a mix.

Like many mixers, I want to treat different frequency bands of the bass differently, and while there is a (relatively limited) extent to which one can do this directly within AmpliTube, the tools there are relatively blunt instruments. There are a few different third-party plugins that are intended to do just this with the bass -- but, though I haven't tried them all, none of those that I have tried seems to consistently beat just copying the bass DI across 2 or 3 tracks in the DAW, processing them differently, and then bussing them back together (although this is of course what the individual bass-processing plugins are basically trying to do internally).

Of course, AmpliTube (and Tonex) are aimed primarily at guitar players, and there is a lot that guitar players can do directly within AmpliTube. Adding all the features that would AmpliTube into "one-stop" bass processing plugin might not be cost-effective (or at least the presence of such features might simply baffle guitar players, and AmpliTube already has enough options that I can easily imagine it being a bit overwhelming for the beginner!). While it would be great if I could do more for bass in directly within AmpliTube, I can of course use its bass or guitar amp models as-is to saturate the higher-end frequencies on split bass tracks.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Previous

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling