Will AmpliTube 5 require AVX?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Will AmpliTube 5 require AVX?

Postby mdb_ikmm » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:54 pm

Hello:

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Amplitube 5 Max, having pre-ordered a few weeks ago (PS -- any information for the IK Multimedia team on when this might actually become available would be most appreciated) ;)

I noticed that MODO Drum (I don't license this but am aware of it) requires a CPU with AVX extensions. I am wondering whether this will eventually become a general requirement in your other products going forward, and in particular whether Amplitube 5 Max or any particular features therein will require this. I can't find any information on this one way or another, and I'm hoping this is not a requirement, but if it is inevitable it would make sense to prepare for it hardware-wise before the release.

Thank you -- really looking forward to this version,
Michael
mdb_ikmm

Re: Will AmpliTube 5 require AVX?

Postby neil.cummins1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:05 pm

I would think that unless it's explicitly stated in the Specs tab(which it isn't for A5),then support for AVX Instructions isn't a CPU requirement for this application,as opposed to MODO Drum which you state.

This also influenced my decision to go with another drum software which uses samples as opposed to physical modelling.

I would think that the system demands of A5 can be inferred as being higher than A4 given the stated RAM value and recommendation of a recent CPU generation.I'm risking it with an i3 CPU and 8Gb of RAM.Let's see!

Regards,
Neil
neil.cummins1

Postby mdb_ikmm » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:46 pm

Hi Neil:

Thanks very much for the reply. My little home recording / practice setup utilizes a FocusRite Scarlett 3rd-gen running into an aging but still functional 4-core i7-870 box maxed out at 16 GB RAM with Win10 and Reaper.

It's a fine albeit older CPU which, between it and the Scarlett, has no perceptible latency and almost never breaks a sweat, %CPU utilization-wise (at least for my use cases).

Until I saw this requirement for MODO Drum (this looks like a fantastic drum package but I'm not keen on needing a new computer setup just to run that, as much a matter of convenience as anything) I figured my current setup would be suitable for AT5M even if it has to work a little harder. However I became concerned that this AVX requirement for MODO Drum was a bit of writing on the wall....

Thanks once again, best of luck and enjoy,
Michael
mdb_ikmm

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:12 am

MODO DRUM uses physical modeling and requires AVX. AmpliTube 5 does not require AVX (it is not mentioned on the Specs page).
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby mdb_ikmm » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:50 am

Thank you Peter for the authoritative clarification.
Now... any word on the download date? :D

Best wishes,
Michael
mdb_ikmm

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:05 pm

I don't have a specific date to share right now but pushing to get more information that I can post!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling