Why no dumble?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Why no dumble?

Postby bryanm » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:31 pm

Hi folks,

Just curious as to why there doesn’t seem to be a Dumble in AmpliTube five? Perhaps its there and I am just missing it? It just seems like a rather obvious choice.
bryanm

Re: Why no dumble?

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:53 pm

Because every Dumble is different, every one is VERY expensive (as well as hard to or impossible to get), and IK doesn't guess they use the actual hardware to create the amps in AmpliTube.

If we end up purchasing one for five or even six figures, the price would definitely have to be higher than any model we've ever offered in AmpliTube and we'd need to be sure enough would purchase it to cover not only those tens (likely pushing close to or over six figures) of thousands of dollars for the hardware but also for the time and effort to model it. Which is also uniquely challenging as the circuitry in a Dumble is covered in epoxy or otherwise obfuscated which is a nightmare for not only servicing but analyzing and measuring as IK will do as our engineers have advanced knowledge of electronics especially pertaining to music equipment, consoles, etc.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby bryanm » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:10 pm

I guess that makes sense, I had forgotten about the goop on the internal wiring which would make the internal component Modeling very difficult. I was thinking that all you had to do was have it for a period of time to make the models. For example you modeled Joe Satriani‘s gear and there was never the expectation that you would keep his gear! I guess the next best thing would be to model a dumble clone? And as you say since there’s so much variation in the Dumble amps a clone would essentially be just as good.
bryanm

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:25 pm

Good point, though, we could borrow one if we found the right one but that adds a layer of difficulty unfortunately. John Mayer isn't returning our calls (just kidding, but we'd gladly borrow his if we could). The goop is a very valid issue on top of borrowing one, yeah... because it is a big ask to have someone OK something like that. We may have the utmost confidence (or wouldn't do it if we knew there was even a tiny risk of damage) but I can understand someone not wanting to take *any* risk.

Honestly I think that's one of the biggest barriers. Best case would be to buy one outright or as you say perhaps a clone but we typically don't do clones. However, many actual famous amps are essentially clones anyway so... there's that :D
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby bryanm » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:08 am

I just think if you did a bundle of say a Fuchs, Bludotone, and Tworock, or some such things you would pretty much cover that type of sound. John Mayer has a signature tworock that I’m sure pretty much gives you all of his sound for example. :D but the key is that they are all good amps in their own right. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I appreciate it.
bryanm

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:22 am

No problem. Happy to talk gear :)

And we'd love to get John Mayer on board for more than his TwoRock. Maybe next time he's at Sunset Sound we can run over and give our pitch haha
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby darkogav » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:29 am

ask Lindley. He has a bunch of them. maybe you can do a David Lindley collection. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVh2WjL-CnM
darkogav

Postby bryanm » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:40 am

I know Lindley, he’s sort of a friend of the family. I have a hard time thinking he would do it Unless he reached the point where he was no longer going to play them.
bryanm

Postby dnr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:27 pm

Also, it is clear that Alexander Dumble would not allow an official emulation.
dnr

Postby darkogav » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:52 pm

bryanm wrote:I know Lindley, he’s sort of a friend of the family. I have a hard time thinking he would do it Unless he reached the point where he was no longer going to play them.

If IKM were to ever do a Lindley or Cooder collection, or go in that direction, I would totally get blown away but that. But I think there is very slim chance of that. :-)
darkogav

Postby darkogav » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:52 pm

dnr wrote:Also, it is clear that Alexander Dumble would not allow an official emulation.

Why not?
darkogav

Postby dnr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:17 pm

Well if you have ever listened to Guitar Wank the Scott Henderson/Bruce Forman podcast, they have often bought up the issue of how difficult it is to get Dumble to build an amp and how annoyed he is at all the clones of his amps that have been made. This info was relayed by Forman and artists like Robben Ford who have had amps built for them.

I certainly don't see Dumble wanting to submit his amps to the kind of scrutiny needed to emulate them, especially seeing how secretive he is about these matters.
dnr

Postby AubreyB » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:51 pm

How about reproducing a Two Rock Bloomfield Drive? or their Sterling Silver Signature?

ps- If I manage to save up for a genuine Overdrive Special - I'll let IK borrow it!

I have my eye on this

https://reverb.com/uk/item/36119158-dum ... inet-41602

(but alas I'm about 90k short)
AubreyB

Postby dnr » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:52 pm

Not to mention the cost to repair or service plus the interminable wait.
dnr

Postby SturgeonGenral63 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:56 pm

How bout a ZenDrive pedal?
Or as Sonny Landreth callls it, “a Dumble in a box!”
SturgeonGenral63

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling