Newbie question about using Fender Collection

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Newbie question about using Fender Collection

Postby cosmickay » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:58 pm

If I buy the Fender Collection, do I also need to purchase other software to run it inside (Amplitube 4) or can I use the free version?
cosmickay

Re: Newbie question about using Fender Collection

Postby DarkStar » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:00 pm

Hello cosmickay and welcome to the forum.

The free edition ("AmpliTube Custom Shop") is fine. But, you will be hooked and want / need more gear :)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Re: Newbie question about using Fender Collection

Postby dlgebert » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:41 pm

cosmickay wrote:If I buy the Fender Collection, do I also need to purchase other software to run it inside (Amplitube 4) or can I use the free version?

This kind of question comes up frequently. There basically are two "parts" to most IKM software.

Part One
The first part is the "master" program, in both standalone and a variety of plugin types, such as AU (Apple Audio Units), VST2, VST3, etc. This is the "brains", or logic of the software. When they release updates, they are usually separate from the next part. No matter what "tier" of "gear" you want to have, this part is always available since it is required for the next part.

Part Two
This part is the "content" portion. Part one requires at least some content, so IKM usually will have a "Free Version" of content, what that content is, is up to IKM and is usuallly a good starting point to learn the software and decide if you want more.

The content depends on the software. For modelling software, like Amplitube and T-RackS, the content is offered as "gear" and the gear is offered in collections, like the standard version, "Deluxe" version, "Max" version, and specialty collections (my favorite). Some of the specialty collections are "branded" collections such as the "Orange" collection, the "Fender" collection. Other specialty collections are "Artist" collections, like "Jimi Hendrix", "Brian May" and "Joe Satriani". T-RackS has special "branded" gear as well, such as "Sunset Studios".

Software, such as Sample Tank, Miroslav Philharmonik and Syntronik are sample based content where actual samples of the instruments are recorded. There are several collections, or libraries for this software as well.

There are some special software products that are modelled where part one and part two are not separate, such as MODO DRUM, MODO BASS and Hammond B-3X, as in there is only the single product and all of the content is contained in one downloaded package. As of this post, MODO DRUM and MODO BASS have all drum and bass models included. There isn't a choice to buy only the Precision Bass, or the Ludwig drum kit. Both of these are examples, MODO DRUM and MODO BASS don't offer "branded" models.

There is a special application, "Custom Shop", where you can try out gear (Amplitube and T-RackS) and purchase individual pieces of gear. This is good for someone who wants individual pieces and not every possible piece offered. In general, the more gear you want, it is less expensive to buy in collections, since the price per piece drops the more you buy, especially when IKM has deals on these. Sample Tank also has a section in "Custom Shop" where you can try individual collections, such as the excellent "Alan Parsons" piano, or "American Acoustic".

To summarize, whether you have the "free" version of content, or like me, have every piece of Amplitube and T-RackS gear and every Sample Tank collection, the "logic" part is the same, no matter what content you have. Note that there are major versions of all of this software where the content and logic have to be the same. You can't use Amplitube 3 and use newer Amplitube 4 gear, or Sample Tank 3 can't play newer Sample Tank 4 collections.

Dave
dlgebert

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling