Set Up & Manual Download [resolved]

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Set Up & Manual Download [resolved]

Postby pacificm » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:37 am

Hello,

I have the IK Product Manager installed. I also installed the latest version of Amplitube 4. My goal is to install the Morley Contour Wah. I want to be able to add a wah wah effect to my midi guitar virtual instrument in my DAW.

1) How do I access the Amplitube plugin in my DAW?
2) How do I access and install the Morley Contour Wah?
3) How do I access the user manuals. I downloaded them from the IK Product Manager. But when I go to the Preferences option and check for the Downloads Folder, they are not there.
4) Also, can I use my expression pedal with the Morley Contour Wah in Amplitube and if so how?

Please advise. Thanks!
pacificm

Re: Set Up & Manual Download

Postby DarkStar » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:32 pm

A1: Where did you install the AmpliTube ("AT4") plug-in? Make sure that your DAW scans that folder. After that you can load AT4 in your DAW just as you do any of effects plug-in. I owuld check that the standalone AT4 program loads and runs OK too.

A2: Once you have AT4 on a track in your DAW, you can select any of the available gear models. I think that the Morley is included in the AT4 Max Collection, otherwise you'll need to purchase it via the Custom Shop. Of course, you can Try it out first for 72 hours.

A3: The AT4 User Manual is installed when you install the software. Have a look at FAQ 1395: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1395. The download from the IK Product Manager ("IKPM") is in a .zip file, isn't it? And check what your Download folder is set to in iKPM.

A4: Automation of the gear controls is described in the AT4 User Manual, chapter 14.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby pacificm » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:35 am

I've made some progress. My DAW recognized A4. And I was able to locate the manuals.

I believe I have the stripped down version of A4. I cannot locate the Morley.

1) How do I purchase it from the custom shop?

2) How do I install it?

Please advise. Thanks!
pacificm

Postby DarkStar » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:01 pm

it's all covered in the AmpliTube Custom Shop User Manual which should have been installed when you installed the software.

For clarity - exactly which edition of AT4 did you purchase /get? Or are you using the free version ("AmpliTube Custom Shop")?
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby pacificm » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:30 am

I got the free (Amplitube Custom Shop) version.

I'm not a guitar player. I play keyboards, use a DAW and have numerous virtual instruments. All I'm attempting do now is add a wah wah electric guitar sound to some of my mixes.

Regarding my prior experience with IK, I recently purchased the IK Multimedia Hammond B-3X software. It is an excellent piece of software and was a breeze to set up in my system. Unfortunately, I'm not having the same ease of experience with Amplitube 4.

I've gone through the manuals and added the Morley Contour Wah. The AT4 is showing up in my DAW on the track where I opened it and when I move the Morley Contour Wah with the mouse AFTER the guitar track has been recorded I can hear the wah effect playing back.

1) Is there a way to use my expression pedal to create the wah effect WHILE I'm recording the guitar in my DAW? If so, how is that done? (I cannot locate in the manual how to do that.)

2) Are there any good videos on how to set up the AT4 with a DAW? (I've tried and cannot locate any.)

Thanks for your help!
pacificm

Postby DarkStar » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:21 pm

A!: Do you mean that you wish to apply the wah to the incoming audio and then record the effected audio in the DAW? If so then you need to insert AT4 as an "Input FX", rather than as an Insert FX on a track. The AT4 manual will not cover that as it is done differently in different DAWs. Check your DAW's manual.

A2: I'm not sure what you are looking for. Many people just add AT4 to an audio track then set up various controls for automation.

If you let us know which DAW you are using, the replies can be more focussed.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby pacificm » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:20 am

Hello,

My DAW is Digital Performer 9.

What I want to do is use my expression pedal to control the movement of the Contour wah pedal in AT4. So, I play the notes on the controller and have the movement of the Contour pedal create a wah effect in realtime as I play the notes.

How do I set things up in AT4 and Digital Performer to accomplish this?

Please advise.

Thanks!
pacificm

Postby DarkStar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:42 pm

Automation is covered in detail in chapter 14 of the AT4 User Manual.

In summary, AT4 has 16 generic parameters that can be automated. The first step is to assign an actual parameter (the Wah Contour knob in your case) to one of those 16. Then, in Digital Performer assign a MIDI CC # (as sent from your hardware pedal) to automate that parameter.

I have never used Digital Performer so maybe someone-else can help you there.

Also, what MIDI CC messages is your expression pedal sending? CC#11 perhaps?
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby pacificm » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:40 am

I wanted to share with everyone the solution to the problem I was running into with connecting Amplitube to Digital Performer. I contacted Amplitube, read through the entire manual, and tried every recommended approach to no avail.

I finally contacted MOTU tech support. I got a prompt reply. Here is what they said, "MIDI Learn is pretty straight forward in DP. In the plugin, click the MIDI learn icon in the bottom left corner. It's the icon directly to the right of the camera icon. After you press it, click on the Wah parameter in the plugin. Then, move your MIDI controller knob or pedal. If DP is receiving MIDI signal from the controller or pedal, it should lock right up to it."

The advice was correct, however, where were the camera and learn icons? I couldn't see them at all on the plugin. I almost gave up and then noticed two of the smallest icons I have ever seen on the very edge of the plugin. As the MOTU tech later informed me, "They are part of the DP plugin wrapper. You will see them on all plugins in DP." Actually, they are part of the "Effects Window." Now that I found the "DP midi learn icon" I followed the advice I was given and everything works fine now.

The tech also gave me the following documentation on this - "Check out page 891 of the manual:
https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/softw ... +Guide.pdf
Start there and you can read more about it over the next several pages."

So, there you have it. Hope that is of help to others!
pacificm

Re: Set Up & Manual Download [Resolved]

Postby DarkStar » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:09 pm

I am glad that you have got it sorted out and have provided the details of how to do parameter automation in Digital Performer. That info will help other users. :)

------------------------------
As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling