Unable to Get Guitar Signal

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Unable to Get Guitar Signal

Postby skhan87 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:33 am

Hi,
I have just bought my very first guitar and thought would experiment around with amp simulators and other learning tools.

I have Asus Essence STX II soundcard and have connected my guitar directly to the 'line-in' port. I dont have any other physical amps or audio interfaces (thought my soundcard would be sufficient as it is) etc.

Now on the free amplitube, I am not able to get any guitar signal. On the audio MIDI setup, my output is Asus speakers, but when I try to select input to Asus line-in, it shows some error and that my sample rates are not the same for input and output, while I select them both to 24bit, 192k hz.

Kindly let me know what could be the issue here. Thanks.
skhan87

Re: Unable to Get Guitar Signal

Postby garfy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:25 am

Hi skhan87 and welcome to the forum.

There could be a number of issues here and it's not really clear what it could be.

1) The highest support sample rate in AT4 is 96kHz so your 192kHz setting needs to be changed.
2) The soundcard itself is not designed to accept a mono instrument input. It doesn't specify, but I would hazard a guess that the line-in is stereo and so a mono cable could be throwing something out.
3) As the input is expecting a line level signal it might not be able to process an instrument level signal which is much lower.

Someone else might chime in with some other ideas, but I would first look at the sample rate.

Hope that helps
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Re: Unable to Get Guitar Signal

Postby skhan87 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:20 pm

garfy wrote:Hi skhan87 and welcome to the forum.

There could be a number of issues here and it's not really clear what it could be.

1) The highest support sample rate in AT4 is 96kHz so your 192kHz setting needs to be changed.
2) The soundcard itself is not designed to accept a mono instrument input. It doesn't specify, but I would hazard a guess that the line-in is stereo and so a mono cable could be throwing something out.
3) As the input is expecting a line level signal it might not be able to process an instrument level signal which is much lower.

Someone else might chime in with some other ideas, but I would first look at the sample rate.

Hope that helps

Hi garfy,
Thank you so much for the reply. Their is a little progress. I came across 'audacity' in my googling (software already had been installed from before, was trying to troubleshoot lower signals to my speakers after installing hum destroyer). Anyway, so had to click record button in audacity to see if raw guitar signals are coming in, their was some error message to which I figured out had to "allow access to microphone"--settings>privacy>microphones.

Now when I record in audacity, I can hear my guitar strumming when I play back after recording the signal. For Amplitube, I have changed both output and inputs to 96kHz but cannot seem to hear anything when I strum. I am also able to select input device in the MIDI setup to Asus line-in.
skhan87

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling