Is 'insert' before or after amp reverb?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Is 'insert' before or after amp reverb?

Postby Abikis » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:07 pm

The manual just says the insert section is between the pre and power sections. If using effects in the insert section are they before or after the amp spring reverb? and is it the same for legacy style amps and newer amps like the Fender collection?
Abikis

Re: Is 'insert' before or after amp reverb?

Postby dlgebert » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:26 pm

On page 31 in the Amplitube 4 User Manual, it shows the signal flow as:

Tuner -> StompA -> AmpA -> InsertA -> CabA -> RackA

Based on that flow, onboard amplifier reverb should be before the "Insert". You can easily test this to know for sure...

Pick an amp that has onboard reverb. I believe the default amp does, or if you have the Fender collection, try the "Twin". Turn up the reverb so it's easy to hear.

In the "Insert" section, pick a digital delay, if possible so the signal from the amp is distinct. Diai in a long delay time with many repeats. If you hear the reverb distinctly "inside" the delay and not between, then the insert is after the reverb. If you hear reverb consistently, then it would be after the insert.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Abikis » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:25 pm

Page 50 of the manual "New in AmpliTube 4 is an additional slot in the signal chain right after the amplifier pre-amp section but before the power stage. You may recognize this slot as the effects loop or insert, and it allows you to add in up to 4 daisy chained effects for signal processing before hitting the power section."

So no, it's not as simple at Amp>Insert>Cab.

Sure I could check a specific amp but there's still no information about if it's amp specific. The legacy style amps would all presumably be the same, the newer amps are more specific so is the insert placement the same? what about amps that actually have an effects loop, is it in the proper place or a default place?
Abikis

Postby dlgebert » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:41 pm

Hopefully Peter or Ryan can tell you if the newer models are different. I have all of the Amplitube gear that is currently available, but I haven't had the time to study every possible variation. As long as it sounds great, that's all I care about.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:31 pm

The INSERT section is meant to allow users to insert Rack FX or Stomp FX, like they would with an FX Send/Return.

This does not vary from amp to amp, but this does allow for some really cool sounds. This is not affecting the direct guitar signal going into the amplifier, but it affects the "FX Loop" copy behind the signal. Normally it's suggested to use Time-based FX with an FX Loop to avoid burying your dry signal in reverb or delay for example, but there are a bunch of cool uses for this.

If you like to do rock solos, add a phazer to the INSERT as opposed to the STOMP. It hits just slightly differently and for me it makes it slightly less apparent. If you're a metal guy, try the Metal Distortion as an INSERT as opposed to a STOMP and you'll thank me later ;)
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling