Standalone vs DAW

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Standalone vs DAW

Postby amutimer » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:33 pm

Guys, I have made some wonderful sounds in Amplitube and saved them as presets.

When I use them standalone they are fanstico! But, when I use the exact same presets in the DAW they sound pants - not just a bit pants, lots pants. I do NOT get crackles or pops. It is the tone itself that is degraded. It is very harsh and thin.

Something that may give somebody a clue as to what is wrong is that when I change any control on Amplitube when it is running in the DAW, it hardly affects the sound...

Just so you know, the DAW works great with all my other effects...

Quality settings are set the same in both standalone and with Studio One...

I have seen a few people on the internet have had this problem, but I have seen no resolutions.

Anybody?

Best

Adrian
amutimer

Re: Standalone vs DAW

Postby andrewwebb22 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:27 pm

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever figure it out?
andrewwebb22

Postby thomas.brunkard » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:08 pm

When you load AmpliTube as a plugin into a DAW it's a bit like plugging something into a mixer. How the DAW handles panning etc. can be an issue.

Which DAW are you using? Can you tell if summing the plugin to mono? To test this, load up a preset with a stereo delay in the DAW and check if the echo repeats go alternately into the left and right speaker or into both.
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Postby andrewwebb22 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:02 pm

I'm using Studio One 5 Pro. I found that when my processing settings in S1 are set to 64bit the plugin sounds tinny. When I change to 24bit it sounds the same as the standalone. Fuller. Much clearer.
I also noticed that when exporting adio stems from S1 as .WAV files, if I don't set the bit depth at 24 or 16 then the codec is then unrecognizable to most media players.
andrewwebb22

Postby ped5key12 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:54 pm

Same. I've when I play through Standalone, it sounds AMAZING!! Same settings on Axe IO and and Studio One, sounds about half the volume, and bit more compressed and lifeless. Sad. Such a bummer. If they matched, it would be amazing!
ped5key12

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:42 am

They should match. They have in every DAW I've used (my main is Cubase but I've also used AmpliTube 5 in Pro Tools, Reaper, and others). So I'd suggest reaching out to IK Support who will be able to diagnose what's going on in Studio One which I don't happen to use so I can't speak to it but I know some of our staff swear by it and if AmpliTube 5 had a global issue in it we'd know and would likely have already taken care of it.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby andrewwebb22 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:23 am

Definitely sounds identical when bit depth is set at 24bit at 44.1 or 48kHz or 32flt. @ 96kHz.

I've started using the tracker in Amplitube more, saving a DI file along with a processed file, then loading the processed file into my DAW as a .WAV file. If the processed file needs to be tweaked for mixing purposes, I can load the DI track in, throw the AT5 plugin on it, make the tweaks, save the new processed file and done. Really just using the DI file for the sake of reamping.
The other cool thing about having that DI in the DAW is to do time and pitch corrections if necessary. Then reamp with AT5. Doing corrections this way really helps to keep time and modulation effects tight with less likelihood of artifacts.
Being able to load the completed, processed .WAV file into the DAW keeps me from having to have multiple instances of the plugin open in a session.
andrewwebb22

Postby DarkStar » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:47 am

It would be worth getting PreSonus to investigate / explain why audio played back at different bit depths / sample rates (/ audio processing bit depth?) sounds different.

Maybe send PreSonus a small audio file which shows the problem.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling